1st time grower, seed problems?

• Thread starter Budw3is3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

UPDATE - into week 4 Veg

End of week 3 veg and main-lining. Bit strange seeing the plants get smaller because of the training. I'm thinking about having an 8 week veg to fatten them up... thoughts?

I won't keep repeating myself but it's been a big week of learning, big shout out to @Aqua Man for helping out when I came running 🙌

700 ppm and 5.5pH

Hopefully see some big growth this week after two main-lining fuck ups.

Noticed the girls are drinking a lot more. By the time I changed the tank the water was almost empty. I have a 120litre tank, up to this point I have only been using 50 litres and making sure the nutrients are balanced to this volume (saves wasting nutrients).

I have got a new humidifier which is more up for the job than the last one. During the light I want to hit a RH of 72.5% so that my optimal temperature can go between 21°C - 32°C in veg (69.8F - 89.6F).

One thing I am starting to think about is clones to keep the cycle going without seeds. If I go 8 weeks veg and 8 week flower I'll either have to buy some more gear for a mother plant (which I don't want to do), buy clones (but the quality might be shit) or take the clones half way into flower which I believe is known as "monster cropping" please see below:

Please share your thoughts.

Bud
I’ve been catching up on this thread (almost there!) and I’m a first-time grower with bag seed on my terrace. You’re growing aeroponically. Nonetheless, I’m seeing many of my own errors in your posts (I don’t mean to be heavy-handed with the plants, and the phrase bull in a china shop comes to mind, but it’s so true). Anyway, from another first-time grower in an entirely different set of circumstances, kudos on your attitude and your grow. Everything is to be learned from. 👍

Last edited:
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

I’ve been catching up on this thread (almost there!) and I’m a first-time grower with bag seed on my terrace. You’re growing aeroponically. Nonetheless, I’m seeing many of my own errors in your posts (I don’t mean to be heavy-handed with the plants, and the phrase bull in a china shop comes to mind, but it’s so true). Anyway, from another first-time grower in an entirely different set of circumstances, kudos on your attitude and your grow. Everything is to be learned from. 👍
Cool, welcome to the thread 😎

Bud

Britishbuds

Britishbuds

Looking good bro

just had a quick catch up

I use ph down in 2.5ml doses if and when I need to and that’s in a 80litre system and a 100litre reservoir, usually changes .2/.3 with that dose

one of my first times using it I put too much in, had to drain the system and start again as I had no ph up

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

For the next cycle of plants I'm looking into auto's.

What are peoples thoughts on auto's?

From what I can see it's 18/6 on the lights permanent, nutrients the same (need to keep an eye out for when the plants turn) and around 10 weeks in total?

I've seen people main-lining them too but I'm not sure what yields people are getting?

Bud

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

From what I can see it's 18/6 on the lights permanent, nutrients the same (need to keep an eye out for when the plants turn) and around 10 weeks in total?

I've seen people main-lining them too but I'm not sure what yields people are getting?

Bud
Autos you can go 24 hrs on if u want. Personally I dont care for them as I'm all about the thc content n autos are always lower in thc levels. But they do have the pros as well time space etc.

Hedonisticpsycho

Hedonisticpsycho

How many seeds did you germinate in this batch ? Did you begin germination in the cubes with the lights "on " ?
Not off to a good start ,read up on germinating
Paper towel in a ziplock on a plate in the dark for 24 to 48 hours would have given you better results , you're walking on thin ice , barneys seeds are expensive , be careful
KISS. Germinate using paper towel method. Moist warm dark environment for 2-3 days. They will sprout. Then into solo cups with pro mix veg and herb soil. 12 hours light 12 hours total dark. No nute a for first 2-3 weeks. Always water bass in pot weight. Lift the pots and when they feel lite water them.
At 3 weeks start introducing ANY produced weed fertilizer package...usually comes with 3 different types of nutes you mix up together.
Follow the instructions that came with the fertilizers and you will get good results.
I don’t really mess with ph BUT if you mix the nutes and then adjust ph using ph up or ph down then you will really be doing your girls a solid.
My 4 girls are under 2 mars led lights. And I bring them outside every day for some real sun.
I’m on my second grow and I think my 4 girls will yield around a pound.
I won’t smoke a pound in a year lol

When I started out I really over thought every aspect.
Now I realize, good soil, good light, proper watering, good nute product. Great results.
Happy growing my friend.

Here is a pic of Pocahontas, one of my 4. She is in week 5 of flower.

89257951 5EEE 42BB 9939 8C2776806E3B
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

KISS. Germinate using paper towel method. Moist warm dark environment for 2-3 days. They will sprout. Then into solo cups with pro mix veg and herb soil. 12 hours light 12 hours total dark. No nute a for first 2-3 weeks. Always water bass in pot weight. Lift the pots and when they feel lite water them.
At 3 weeks start introducing ANY produced weed fertilizer package...usually comes with 3 different types of nutes you mix up together.
Follow the instructions that came with the fertilizers and you will get good results.
I don’t really mess with ph BUT if you mix the nutes and then adjust ph using ph up or ph down then you will really be doing your girls a solid.
My 4 girls are under 2 mars led lights. And I bring them outside every day for some real sun.

Now I realize, good soil, good light, proper watering, good nute product. Great results.
Happy growing my friend.

Looking good 👍

Bud

greengenes44

greengenes44

Bud
Auto's are the thing now. No sweating light leaks. I grow Auto's in hot soil. It's great because basically I ph the water and that's it.

Madmax

Madmax

Checkout some of heisens grows heisenbubble ..i think that right..dont think hes here now but man he can grow..

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

It's all about the thc.
🤣😅 for me it is at least I'm always looking for strong heavy indicas couchlocking me . Last crops gg#4 wedding cake now critical kush is flowering. Can't wait to try the Bruce banner 2.0 and gelato next 🤩

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yeah, I want sure. If it can't be clones it is no value to me. The cost alone for 800 seeds per run makes it undoable. Unless the seeds are incredibly consistent we would end up with multiple phenos some of them undesirable.

You can get auots pretty cheap, theres a guy on strainly.io selling a cpl nice 90 and 120 day autos..

"I also have 5 auto flowering strains, a 90 day super strain that producers around a quarter pound of dense heavy buds in around 90 days. My new 105 day Sour Lemon is ready as well.

Autos are on for $25 a dozen."

Plus he ALWAYS sends WAYYYYYYYYYY moar seeds then you pay for.. I payd for 60 got well over 100, Bout to pay for 100 will prolly get 200.. The guys amazing.

QuindariousGooch

QuindariousGooch

You can get auots pretty cheap, theres a guy on strainly.io selling a cpl nice 90 and 120 day autos..

"I also have 5 auto flowering strains, a 90 day super strain that producers around a quarter pound of dense heavy buds in around 90 days. My new 105 day Sour Lemon is ready as well.

Autos are on for $25 a dozen."

Plus he ALWAYS sends WAYYYYYYYYYY moar seeds then you pay for.. I payd for 60 got well over 100, Bout to pay for 100 will prolly get 200.. The guys amazing.
No doubt that is cheap for seeds but for a commercial operation I don't see autos ever making sense. At the risk of being perceived as combative I will share my perspective from a commercial operation with the goal of sharing an angle it would be difficult to see from a non-commercial point of view. I am certainly not shooting down yours or anyone ideas or methods. If anyone uses autos to grow indoors commercially I would love to hear their perspective. I've never tried it so I could be wrong.
There is a a guy on Strainly who is listed under "Mark" (link to Mark). He sells seeds he produces for $1 and sends them to you before you pay...great dude. We discussed running seed runs but saw more challenges than benefits.

Scale...
Every 2 weeks....
We produce 1300 clones to place 1200 of those clones into veg.
800 of those go into flower... 400 discarded
Repeat

I bet I could get autos for $1 bulk. Clones cost us about 12 cents to produce so there would have to be some serious benefits on the back end.
We are commercial with branding concerns. If our product fluctuates in quality, effect, look, etc we lose business. Multiple/inconsistent phenos would not meet the markets expectations.
Not being able to preserve a killer pheno would be a perceived loss.
Clones cost about 12 cents each vs $1.12 if seeds are a dollar. We do have a cost to keep moms but we have not broken that out but I am sure it isn't near $1 per clone.

We don't have issues with light leaks and we grow in rockwool and soil is a huge draw back in cost and labor. Also dealing with all that dirt. Lots of people do it but for us we like the efficiency of rockwool. 5 people can cut down & hang an 800 plant room and get it cleaned and prepped for loading the next day. If we ran with dirt that would be impossible and require processing square footage for all those pots. We just fill a dumpster and it's over.

So, I see the benefits for smaller growers, especially new ones, having a set-it-and-forget it auto flower. Again, if a commercial grower has found a way to use autos effectively I'd be interested in your input.

Cheers,
Quindarious

Wolfe

Wolfe

Hello, this is my first grow and post.

I purchased 10 Blue Gelato seeds from Barney's Farm.

I have set them in rockwool starter plugs (which had been soaked for 24hrs in RO water). Placed in a dome with a heat mat from Amazon set at a temp of 25ºC which can go up and down by 5ºC which isn't ideal but kept between 21ºC - 32ºC.

As at today, I'm into the 6th day. On the 3rd day the big fella arrived but nothing since (I do think another is starting to punch through, please see picture).

The light is LED and has been on 24/7, today I lowered the light and turned the brightness up to try and help the lanky seed out. Both lights are on because otherwise they won't work individually.

I haven't let the plugs go dry (just using RO water with no nutrients, the humidity has remained high and water using a syringe little and often to keep moist but not soaking wet.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Bud
I know you’re rocking the rockwool, but it’s not the easiest method for a first time grower. I like to keep it simple with seeds. I use the paper towel method as well. I get a decent tail going and stick that roof in some dirt with little to no nutrients. Base soil like pro mix works well. Fluorescents really work well with sprouting seeds and controlling stretch. You can use a cheap fluorescent and get lower to the seedling to prevent stretch.
Raise the light it as it gets taller. You don’t need nutrients with seedlings until they start showing some signs of nitrogen def on the bottom leaves. By then it will be time to transplant anyhow. Oh use filtered water. I don’t use RO,
just a tall boy filter or even your filter from your fridge will work in a pinch. Don’t over water the seeds it will drown them. This is why the medium you chose may be more difficult to start in as well. You don’t really need a dome. I never use domes and I have a really high germination rate. Remember to keep it simple.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Happy growing my friend.

Are your seeds all autos ?

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Into week 5 veg...

Ph fine, PPM fine... temperature at the moment a slight challenge but hopefully OK.

Purchased more 'YoYo's' from Amazon on the cheap..which are great for me on main-lining.

Hopefully all this hard work now pays off in the coming weeks, I want to develop 8 colas on each plant (some I can't because I fucked it).

Bud

20200722 175200
20200722 175100
20200722 175057
20200722 175041
20200722 175027
20200722 175022
20200722 175018
20200722 173744
20200722 173740
20200722 173641
20200722 173636
20200722 173632
20200722 155247
20200722 173626
Devlin1242

Devlin1242

Noticed this on a plant, I have done some research and think it might be calcium deficiency. Any thoughts?

Bud
Looks like it could be rust spot fungus.should be easy to cure with neem oil and prevented by lowering the humidity. I had trouble with rust spot before i got my dehumidifier

Top Bottom