2 King Tut growing in RDWC

• Thread starter stltoed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stltoed

stltoed

The roots and microbes produce co2 all the time through respiration, it's not so much co2 is bad for the roots as lack of o2 is. Often ppl think if one is high the other is low and that's not the case they are independent of eachother. Both can be high or low at the same time.

The gas exchange happens at the surface not the bubbles as there is not near enough dwell time for that to occur. I have forst hand experience dissolving co2 into water. And the impact that surface agitation has on gas exchange.

The issue with putting an air pump outside a "sealed room" not fully the case here is that's positive pressure and the air will need to escape somewhere. With it humidity and temperature conditioned air being replaced by whatever the conditions of the room with the airpump.

A buildup of co2 in the rootzone in a soil that doesn't breathe well can effect PH though.

Just some info to help clear up some myths of thw past.
Damn dude! Thanks!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Let's keep it friendly in here... advice is advice can be accepted or not. Sometimes ya need to learn the hard way... my preferred method of learning lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man do you believe adding CO2 can compromise air in a RDWC hydro rig? Let's say the air pump is sitting on the ground, do you think it hampers growth?
No.... with a ppm of about 400 in the air the amount dissolved in water will be 2-4ppm. To give you an idea a co2 injected planted aquarium will run about 30 ppm. With a water containing an alkalinity of 4 dkh this level would drop ph by 1 full ph point. In order to do this you need to increase the pressure and dwell time while reducing the surface agitation a lot. The further from equilibrium a gas gets the harder it resists change and the faster it will shift back once those change.

stltoed

stltoed

No.... with a ppm of about 400 in the air the amount dissolved in water will be 2-4ppm. To give you an idea a co2 injected planted aquarium will run about 30 ppm. With a water containing an alkalinity of 4 dkh this level would drop ph by 1 full ph point. In order to do this you need to increase the pressure and dwell time while reducing the surface agitation a lot. The further from equilibrium a gas gets the harder it resists change and the faster it will shift back once those change.
Yeah but how much Xenon is in the water?

That's good stuff. Thank you for such a concise answer! Again. You rock AM

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Let's keep it friendly in here... advice is advice can be accepted or not. Sometimes ya need to learn the hard way... my preferred method of learning lol.
From alita linear own instructions but now
Screenshot 20210926 080959 Drive
I'm wanting him now to learn the hard way

Dopey28

Dopey28

This is absolutely the truth and important. See many tanks drained from that or if they die.
Yep personally I had a bunch of rare cichlids in 2 buckets while I cleaned their tank years ago. I came back just in time to find the air pump dead, a puddle on the carpet and thank god the buckets still half full.

I will say check valves do add a point of failure (usually it’s the line being tugged half off). so raising the pump is a better way to go if possible

stltoed

stltoed

Yep personally I had a bunch of rare cichlids in 2 buckets while I cleaned their tank years ago. I came back just in time to find the air pump dead, a puddle on the carpet and thank god the buckets still half full.

I will say check valves do add a point of failure (usually it’s the line being tugged half off). so raising the pump is a better way to go if possible
There's no doubt it could happen, and If I started using this system a month ago I'd be worried, but ive been using it for 5 years. This isn't new information.

dusty68

dusty68

Last season I tried a different kind of mono-silicic Silica additive. It's by Power Si, but unlike the liquid stuff we use in hydro, this is a granule and used only in dirt. It's been around a while but the price was absolutely ridiculous. I've seen it for $250 for 2KG. Cocaine prices. So I never tried it. Well, my hydro store had had a damaged one so I picked it up for cheap. Not cheap enough, but it makes me feel better when I say I got it cheap.

View attachment 1168227

I ran it in the closet plant indoors and 2 more Candida I had outdoors last season. I can't say I saw any benefits, to be honest the two outside died, but the plant indoors got big. To make a short story long, I'm gonna add it to the closet plant tomorrow. I've got it, I might as well get rid of it. Haha. I would love to see this stuff work like it's liquid brethren. I've been withholding my review at the hydro place till I'm sure it's a waste of money.
Great thread, I am following.

BrokenHome

BrokenHome

Perfect gardens suggested trying this product instead of Hydroguard. It is tons less expensive and contains much higher concentration of bacillus (98%) than hydroguard (0.038%) (98.6% inert ingredients). Anyone ever use it or have any thoughts?
8373CA0B 57C7 4D87 92BA 832A3B9613E9

stltoed

stltoed

Perfect gardens suggested trying this product instead of Hydroguard. It is tons less expensive and contains much higher concentration of bacillus (98%) than hydroguard (0.038%) (98.6% inert ingredients). Anyone ever use it or have any thoughts? View attachment 1173235
I've never heard of it, maybe @Aqua Man has some knowledge of it. Sometimes more is just more. Silica is like that sometimes. The brands with the highest percentages of Silica aren't usually the best ones.

stltoed

stltoed

Just makes my wonder what the 98% of inert ingredients are that hydroguard is charging a fortune for…
This is a popular conversation. Especially with folks that make there own nutrients. "Why should I line the company's pockets when I'm mostly buying water". The answer, unfortunately... Because it works. You absolutely should look for the next best thing. A new product that works like Hydro G but cost a fraction of the amount... that would be huge, especially in Canada where it can be twice as much as in the states

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Perfect gardens suggested trying this product instead of Hydroguard. It is tons less expensive and contains much higher concentration of bacillus (98%) than hydroguard (0.038%) (98.6% inert ingredients). Anyone ever use it or have any thoughts? View attachment 1173235
Yeah should work... does list the strain so can't guarantee the specific strain in hydroguard is bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain 747D.

Top Bottom