2 King Tut growing in RDWC

• Thread starter stltoed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Man, life without a working float valve isn't worth living! Since I have the water off in my shed till I fix my sprinklers I've been filling my res. by hand. I forgot what that was like. I don't like it!

Right now they are taking in about 5 gallons a day, seems like a lot for 2 plants, but I honestly don't know. I'm just using tap water for now. So, I guess I need to sort this issue out before my next nute change. As of now, I'm still not exactly sure where the issue is. With the water on, it drains immediately into the neighbors yard. No sign of it in my yard at all. It may be under the corner of my patio, which means a diamond saw is in order. Fuckin plants!
I put a sheet of paper towels under all my bulkheads and plumbing just to make sure. I can't really measure my plants uptake yet.

5 gallon does seem like a lot per day, but I really can't give no hard data behind it. If I could guess, my six plants take about a gallon per day? I don't think I've added more than 15 gallon, perhaps 20.. I dunno. I do gotta add more nutrients tonight. They draining my nutes and leaving water, all cause I don't wanna overfeed my smallest so I keep ppms low.

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So nanobubbles @Aqua Man and Stl.

Seems the smaller the bubble the slower it rises. The nanobubbles can last 30 days without popping thus providing adequate aeration for marine life.

So to answer the question about bubbles underwater, to become full effective they would have to stay submerged for a long time.

So the popping of the bubbles would actually cause the surface agitation. Since the the water receives the majority of the oxygen at the surface levels, things like waves and bubbles popping seems it would provide the only real aeration, unless nanobubbles are present?

I think top feeds with airstones are very similar to the waterfall system as they both agitate the surface and pull fresh oxygenated water down. VS the standard Dwc with no pump. I'm sure standard bottom feed rdwc does this, just not at the same pace.

Only way to tell would be #science and I'm not that guy lol.. I'm the guy who steals the scientists work lol.. And trys to comprehend it and share it with others.

That said, I think imma try to figure out how to put some nano bubbles into this system lol.. Doubt it's cheap?

stltoed

stltoed

I put a sheet of paper towels under all my bulkheads and plumbing just to make sure. I can't really measure my plants uptake yet.

5 gallon does seem like a lot per day, but I really can't give no hard data behind it. If I could guess, my six plants take about a gallon per day? I don't think I've added more than 15 gallon, perhaps 20.. I dunno. I do gotta add more nutrients tonight. They draining my nutes and leaving water, all cause I don't wanna overfeed my smallest so I keep ppms low.
I've never paid attention to water/nutrient uptake. I just watched the plants and accounted for deficiencies or excesses as they popped up. There's a spreadsheet that shows what's going on and what to do when PPMs, or water moves. Its very popular, but ive never used it. Primarily because it's incomplete, and my water has always come to me automatically, making this method useless. Check it out, maybe you can see some use in it, if you don't already have it.
20211005 095801

If I could give some advice, just keep it simple. Have fun with it. There are a million parameters we can tweak. 999000 of them don't mean shit.

stltoed

stltoed

Seems the smaller the bubble the slower it rises. The nanobubbles can last 30 days without popping thus providing adequate aeration for marine life.

So to answer the question about bubbles underwater, to become full effective they would have to stay submerged for a long time.

So the popping of the bubbles would actually cause the surface agitation. Since the the water receives the majority of the oxygen at the surface levels, things like waves and bubbles popping seems it would provide the only real aeration, unless nanobubbles are present?

I think top feeds with airstones are very similar to the waterfall system as they both agitate the surface and pull fresh oxygenated water down. VS the standard Dwc with no pump. I'm sure standard bottom feed rdwc does this, just not at the same pace.

Only way to tell would be #science and I'm not that guy lol.. I'm the guy who steals the scientists work lol.. And trys to comprehend it and share it with others.

That said, I think imma try to figure out how to put some nano bubbles into this system lol.. Doubt it's cheap?
Look at ultrasonic. I once saw a demonstration that used ultrasonic. You could see the O2 level rise without any surface agitation. It was a larger version of the mini pumps they have today.

But, I don't really believe it's a bubble size thing since it's happening on a molecular level. The time, which AM eluded to, may be a benefit though. Clearly there's a lot to this conversation.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Heres my issue with nano bubbles.

They are in a sense a beneficial but also in a sense bullshit manipulation of measurements and do not take into account equilibrium effects and thus make some pretty false claims.

To add they are ot suitable for high salinity because of corrosion and can actually leech heavy metals because of this.

I can explain in more detail of you guys want but yeah when dwell time is adequate it will aid in absorption up to equilibrium. But think about this. They claim it super saturates the water with o2 based on real readings from an o2 sensor.... but let me tell you those readings are false. I'll let you guys think about how and why for discussion sake.

However that's not to say with salinity and corrosive issues aside the extra dwell time doesn't help. But there are factors which are huge influences in dissolved o2 such as temp and pressure. With o2 being a very hard gas to dissolve above equilibrium and requires a significant increase to pressure to do so it's just not worth trying to raise o2 levels above equilibrium.

The other issues with nanobubbles is that they are not great at water column mixing and that's a very key part of not only gas exchange but also ensuring your water in the sites stays well mixed especially once you get a substantial root mass you kinda want that extra buoyancy to push those bubble to the surface for mixing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here is an example of how well proper sized bubbles can really provide mixing.

This is a sandfall in my aquarium I built out of Styrofoam and a 1" pvc tube with a single small airstone.

I put the air stone down the ovc tube. The rising bubbles draw water with it and the speed at that rising water suck the sand into the pvc tube up to the top and then it falls back down and just keeps recirculating, nano bubbles would not be able to do this.

stltoed

stltoed

Here is an example of how well proper sized bubbles can really provide mixing.

This is a sandfall in my aquarium I built out of Styrofoam and a 1" pvc tube with a single small airstone.

I put the air stone down the ovc tube. The rising bubbles draw water with it and the speed at that rising water suck the sand into the pvc tube up to the top and then it falls back down and just keeps recirculating, nano bubbles would not be able to do this.

View attachment 1175981
But given a proper amount of time you wouldn't really need that because the water would be saturated right?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nano bubbles, but really, either. Saturation alone will help migrate the O2 throughout the water won't it?
Well saturation means it won't hold anymore and nanobubbles claim this but they actually don't. They trick the DO sensor in saying so. Because it's actually reading in large part air pockets. So the DO reading is a combination of dissolved oxygen and suspended oxygen.

What we are trying to achieve is keeping the dissolved oxygen at equilibrium. And next to water column mixing and surface agitation (by any means waterfalls, fluming, airstones, venturi etc) is temperature and its not usually something that we have an issue with in terms of dissolved oxygen.

You can achieve this in many ways and there is no one right way. There are ways to improve the rates of replenishment and things that will reduce it but to many to cover.

stltoed

stltoed

Well saturation means it won't hold anymore and nanobubbles claim this but they actually don't. They trick the DO sensor in saying so. Because it's actually reading in large part air pockets. So the DO reading is a combination of dissolved oxygen and suspended oxygen.

What we are trying to achieve is keeping the dissolved oxygen at equilibrium. And next to water column mixing and surface agitation (by any means waterfalls, fluming, airstones, venturi etc) is temperature and its not usually something that we have an issue with in terms of dissolved oxygen.

You can achieve this in many ways and there is no one right way. There are ways to improve the rates of replenishment and things that will reduce it but to many to cover.
Thanks AM!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I should be clear that for our application nanobubbles are not all what the ppl who are claiming they are.

But that doesn't mean in other applications the same is true.

Like I said the biggest influences are water column mixing and surface agitation. The further below equilibrium the gas gets the easier it is exchange as it always tries to reach equilibrium. Factors that increase this are equilibrium, temp, dwell time and..... pressure.

So with that said the deeper the water the higher the pressure.

Now in a lake with minimal water movement and water column mixing the deeper area can become low or depleted in o2. This are would be a prime example of where these nanobubbles would work wonders. The added dwell time under significantly more pressure than the surface and levels of o2 below equilibrium would definitely provide a means of gas exchange that would be highly effective in increasing DO levels.

Now with tech you always have ppl that take a science and try to sell it in a different application using all the claims of its benefits and misleading ppl into thinking it works thw same way. Only it doesn't and they manage to make a shit ton of money before it gets debunked. Even then most often these things get a kinda cult following and will carry on for decades.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I should be clear that for our application nanobubbles are not all what the ppl who are claiming they are.

But that doesn't mean in other applications the same is true.

Like I said the biggest influences are water column mixing and surface agitation. The further below equilibrium the gas gets the easier it is exchange as it always tries to reach equilibrium. Factors that increase this are equilibrium, temp, dwell time and..... pressure.

So with that said the deeper the water the higher the pressure.

Now in a lake with minimal water movement and water column mixing the deeper area can become low or depleted in o2. This are would be a prime example of where these nanobubbles would work wonders. The added dwell time under significantly more pressure than the surface and levels of o2 below equilibrium would definitely provide a means of gas exchange that would be highly effective in increasing DO levels.

Now with tech you always have ppl that take a science and try to sell it in a different application using all the claims of its benefits and misleading ppl into thinking it works thw same way. Only it doesn't and they manage to make a shit ton of money before it gets debunked. Even then most often these things get a kinda cult following and will carry on for decades.
I'm still curious at least. A video I watched showed marine life could live with just nanobubbles. I didn't see anything about it increasing the o2 levels or ppms, more less it just replicates surface retention time.

So if acted as if we could suspend water in mid air, it would then have a surface all around it. Wouldn't it then be exchanging gases on all sides, not just the natural surface? So if I apply that concept to a submerged bubble, wouldn't it slowly dissolve over time? I don't know if pressure would slow or speed up this process. I'm just saying if you could keep an air bubble underwater forever wouldn't it dissolve and raise the o2 levels? I don't understand water o2 ppm levels yet. I am not suggesting these bubbles dissolving will increase o2 levels above a normal thresholds, I'm just asking that without surface movement or even available o2 at the surface, isn't it possible submerged bubbles, aka nano bubbles could replenish depleted o2 levels?

I watch these biofloc videos on how they keep their water aerated and all have one thing in common, keeping as many bubbles underwater as possible at any given time.

I need chemistry lessons obviously.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'm growing 2 King Tut this season to try to do better than I did last time. Last time I grew this strain it was in dirt... probably 3 or 4 years ago. Everything went fine and I ended up with a fair amount of great bud, but I want to try it again in RDWC. If you haven't seen King Tut in action, it's a pretty cool strain. All colas, grows like an indica, but its sativa leaning, super easy... just a great strain.
King Tut was one of the few strains I tried, during a 2-year interval of not growing and depending on dispensaries, that I really liked. I had the distinct impression it was an S1 of someone's great AK-47 cut. Anyway, looks great. I'm sure it smokes great, too.

stltoed

stltoed

King Tut was one of the few strains I tried, during a 2-year interval of not growing and depending on dispensaries, that I really liked. I had the distinct impression it was an S1 of someone's great AK-47 cut. Anyway, looks great. I'm sure it smokes great, too.
Thanks

stltoed

stltoed

Hey. I put some time into the big plant. I pulled a buckets worth of limbs that will never make the show, leaves, etc. Looks a lot better, but the important part is that's its thinner. It was in its own way. So, I defoliated the shit out of it. I will let it heal up a bit and pull it down. The plant on the left is next. The plant in the closet is happy, which is good to see... FINALLY!

* To be clear, I stated I don't pull fan leaves. That's not exactly accurate. In veg I may pull hundreds of fan leaves. I don't do it so much in flower, is what I should have said. Cheers

stltoed

stltoed

Some good stuff AM. You got me reading again. The past couple years I haven't been the avid researcher I once was, other than the Jeff Lowenfels books I guess. Thank you so much for your time and your knowledge. I'll have more questions a little later...

So I noticed you're a Supporter and Staff for this forum... what does that mean? I've been a party to a few forums, but never seen that before.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Some good stuff AM. You got me reading again. The past couple years I haven't been the avid researcher I once was, other than the Jeff Lowenfels books I guess. Thank you so much for your time and your knowledge. I'll have more questions a little later...

So I noticed you're a Supporter and Staff for this forum... what does that mean? I've been a party to a few forums, but never seen that before.
You can make a monthly donation here. There are some benefits like no ads and a badge that shows you support the farm. $10/month.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/support-thcfarmer-and-become-a-patron-today.109847/

The staff is indicating that I work for the site as a moderator.

Top Bottom