20 light, 25 plant, Screen of Green

• Thread starter BC farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I too wonder???? I know that may be what they say but what if your lid height is 8'+? Will it let your sites grow tall enough to max yeilds? I know in LBH's tutorial... he kept his plants small in a closet and set them on a high table running 600 watt'ers. I know for me... I would like my plants to be atleast 3-4' when finished as that would give me 2' clearence for lights and 2' for magic pot height+room for dtw.

its all about surface area. scrogging maximizes the light to each budsite, so all you get is a blanket of heads. If you let the plants grow up from the screen, you may have to add a second screen, and then you will have a bitch of a time getting in to the screen sandwich to clean out larf which will now develop due to the top canopy shading out the bottom canopy. .

Thats why you flip at 1/3 full, so you can bend those girls down in every direction and completely fill the screen by the end of stretch. I know I said some scroggers say... But I have plenty of scrog experience and this is how I would do it.

Its important to stay on top of it and bend every day. If you get lazy they will grow too tall and you will risk snapping your terminal shoots when you try to wrestle them back to the screen. Every day some bending and every day some cleaning of lower growth and defoliation. 3-4 weeks of work and due diligence, 5-? weeks of sippin lemonade and doing res changes.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Dope setup BC farmer! Can't wait to see those screen full of fat colas...

purpleberry

purpleberry

The scrog depends on the strain also, GDP fill all the way, OGkush can be 1/3 but ive got better yeilds off 3/4 ful and only bending for a few days til its full, Then hit them with silica til atleast week 4 and they will hold them selfs up even if they are 24" over the screen, they flop over a little at the end, but it works out. With out silca they will fall all over the place.
I love this set up and may work it into my design, Ive been running 7g pots, each one has its owns tray and 22x22" screen, I have to slide them around to water and shop vac trays, lol

flowamasta

flowamasta

its all about surface area. scrogging maximizes the light to each budsite, so all you get is a blanket of heads. If you let the plants grow up from the screen, you may have to add a second screen, and then you will have a bitch of a time getting in to the screen sandwich to clean out larf which will now develop due to the top canopy shading out the bottom canopy. .

Thats why you flip at 1/3 full, so you can bend those girls down in every direction and completely fill the screen by the end of stretch. I know I said some scroggers say... But I have plenty of scrog experience and this is how I would do it.

Its important to stay on top of it and bend every day. If you get lazy they will grow too tall and you will risk snapping your terminal shoots when you try to wrestle them back to the screen. Every day some bending and every day some cleaning of lower growth and defoliation. 3-4 weeks of work and due diligence, 5-? weeks of sippin lemonade and doing res changes.
thats sound about how i do it :)

2 screens, it does get a tangles mess, and yes you do get some useless bud underneath cause of soo much shade, but if you like making hash, and have plenty of beautiful heads up top, then i say go for it :) 2 screens worked well for me, as my strain is very heavy and sags by the 3rd week of flowering....i just harvested, update on my thread, and i await my numbers my guess 1 lb for 1 plant.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Another tip:

I see a lot of people use net, or some time of grid as a screen over pvc pipe. It is easier to take down if you weave a clothsline back and forth (like a zig zag with each point of inflection wrapping the pipe frame), from just one side of the frame to the other and back again. You will only have lines running in two directions...away from you, then towards you, then away, then towards, etc. space each section about 4" apart. You can still bend plants in every direction, and weave them in and out. The beauty of doing it this way is at harvest, you just cut one of the line at the pipe frame, and the strings pull right out.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Cap,
Excellent suggestion. Will likely implement this on the next run if the mesh proves to be too big of a pain for harvest. For now I hope that the untangling of the many colas on this screen will take us forever:)

Sticky traps installed today and defoliage. We added a swamper that seems to help things a bit.
Sprayed Dr Doom before the lights came on this am.

Hort ordered nematodes and Predators for thrips and likely some Symphilids that made it into the garden. They will be here tomorrow and be feasting on these little fuckers.
Cannot wait to reverse the intake fan and maintain a positive pressure. Our meter started fogging all up and had water droplets in it so we have been sucking air out to remove the moisture out of the meter and are planning to fix the leaking seal wherever it is so we don't have to use an intake anymore.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Pics of the scrog.
P1010001

P1010008

P1010010

P1010011

P1010014

P1010012
P1010013
Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Thrips + spinosad = Death!

Get blue stickys traps. Thats the collor they like. Yellow is more for f-gnats. I always do 50/50 and gang up on them hard. Not all fly. Get Monitary Garden and Insect spray from Homedepot. Little Neem oil helps too. Spinosad is the main thing at Monitary. Take a look around here on the farm for more info on the mixure. Me lazy to look threw my books....

Looking good!

hort-hog

hort-hog

i got some deep impact deep clean, was skeptical at first, after 1 application the plants look a helluva lot better plus not see a single thrip since, will be reapplying it in the next few days
heres a link bro
http://www.deepimpactplantcare.co.uk/

honestly best thing ive used for thrips in the 3times ive had them, gonna be keeping this stuff around for sure
hb
This looks like great stuff. Will be giving it a try in the future.

hort-hog

hort-hog

Get blue stickys traps. Thats the collor they like. Yellow is more for f-gnats. I always do 50/50 and gang up on them hard. Not all fly. Get Monitary Garden and Insect spray from Homedepot. Little Neem oil helps too. Spinosad is the main thing at Monitary. Take a look around here on the farm for more info on the mixure. Me lazy to look threw my books....

Looking good!
thanks NN. I didnt realize they preferred blue...I read an info sheet that said yellow or blue and had some yellow on hand.We should switch.
Was recommended to me to make my own using blue construction paper, TANGLEFOOT, and drops of vanilla extract.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Congratulations on all your hard work,great post.

I second this. Big ups! I like how clean your setup is, and I confess to more than a little jealousy whenever I think of you guys scooting under the canopy while sitting comfortably on the stool. My back aches from bending over and creeping under mine! I'm gettin' too old for that kind of shit, lol.

I am looking forward to seeing this play out-

BC farmer

BC farmer

I second this. Big ups! I like how clean your setup is, and I confess to more than a little jealousy whenever I think of you guys scooting under the canopy while sitting comfortably on the stool. My back aches from bending over and creeping under mine! I'm gettin' too old for that kind of shit, lol.

I am looking forward to seeing this play out-

ttystikk, the rolling underneath the canopy is a real screamer. Finished concrete helps. I hope this might help you to start rolling underneath yours soon:-)

A little update on our Feed Comparison:
The organic bed so far is in the lead (Left) lusher growth and has really held up best with our PH issues (now resolved), low RH (resolved) for about a week or so and the thrips, that crossing fingers are done now that they are being feasted on by three different predators.
The rootmass on the HydroFuel bed are least and the GH and Organic bed are best by quite a stretch.
Here are some pics for our logs. Two pics of each bed, one from front one from side view:

P1010001

P1010002

Next bed moving to the right, GH bed with Promix

P1010003

P1010004

Hydrofuel+Promix
P1010005

P1010006

GH+#4 etc
P1010007

P1010008

P1010009
P1010010
BC farmer

BC farmer

I would like your 0.02 on what to top these beds off with. The roots are coming up at the surface and I can no longer rake the first half inch as the roots are being damaged, great problem to have:)
We are leaning to Perlite over the top from a suggestion that Dankworth made (how are you holding up buddy?)
His thinking was it reflects the light back up to the canopy. Curious to hear your suggestions, thanks!

P1010011

Above and below pic are the Coco bed

P1010011

P1010012

P1010013

P1010014

Picked this up for 70 bucks used, its helping the RH which is now 63 average
P1010015

I wet the floors as soon as they come on
P1010016

P1010017

ttystikk

ttystikk

If I were in your shoes- I'd be dancing a jig- seriously, I don't know that I'd go with perlite. You want to keep those roots in the dark and perlite is white. Also, reflecting light up from the bottom does the plants no good, as all the chloroplasts are on the tops of the leaves.

Since you're doing the orgasmic thing anyway, maybe find some kind of material that keeps the light out but allows you to pour ACT (aerated compost tea) and such right through. Heck, maybe just more of the same stuff that already forms the bottom!

As a related thought, if you hung a strip of that black material- or just black plastic- along both sides of each trough, the roots would be in the dark, get more humidity and might not airprune so quickly, leading to more root mass down in the trough itself. This would give them a second bite at the water/nutes apple as it runs to waste, without any risk of them drowning.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Looking supermean, those roots are airpruning like beserk
Ya man, they are in a happy place. Have a rootzone monitor which has been 73/75 consistently and watching it closely. The fabric is supposed to have a gap of two inches (roughly) in between the correlated plastic and the fabric. On some beds the end part sogged in a bit leaving no space, but roots are loving it there. We thought at one point to insert airstones in the rootzone but can't afford any gambles on this one;)

BC farmer

BC farmer

If I were in your shoes- I'd be dancing a jig- seriously, I don't know that I'd go with perlite. You want to keep those roots in the dark and perlite is white. Also, reflecting light up from the bottom does the plants no good, as all the chloroplasts are on the tops of the leaves.

Since you're doing the orgasmic thing anyway, maybe find some kind of material that keeps the light out but allows you to pour ACT (aerated compost tea) and such right through. Heck, maybe just more of the same stuff that already forms the bottom!

As a related thought, if you hung a strip of that black material- or just black plastic- along both sides of each trough, the roots would be in the dark, get more humidity and might not airprune so quickly, leading to more root mass down in the trough itself. This would give them a second bite at the water/nutes apple as it runs to waste, without any risk of them drowning.

Dude, we are spinning on our swiffeling chairs through the iles, its a riot!
I really like the idea of staying with the same organic material but what are your thoughts on Hydroton?
Personnaly a bit paranoid about creating more humidity in there as the temps would also go up and less airflow and it would be more water based and more prone to root diseases etc? What are your thoughts on that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom