20 light, 25 plant, Screen of Green

• Thread starter BC farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Dude, we are spinning on our swiffeling chairs through the iles, its a riot!
I really like the idea of staying with the same organic material but what are your thoughts on Hydroton?
Personnaly a bit paranoid about creating more humidity in there as the temps would also go up and less airflow and it would be more water based and more prone to root diseases etc? What are your thoughts on that?

LOL visualizing you guys all toked up and spinning on the chairs...

I use hydroton all the time, since it's a stable material I see no reason why you couldn't use it and still remain organic. It would be a bi-otch to separate all that hydroton from the soil at reset time, though.

I don't think your soil temps would go up. Yes, a little less airflow and more humidity, but that's how you keep the roots from pruning the instant they pop their heads out. I see no reason why it would rot under there- after all, it's not like the roots would be constantly sitting in water. The water still runs down and out, this just gives the roots someplace to grow and something to drink.

flowamasta

flowamasta

insaaaaaane!!! love your work man! and i say perlite on the suface is a great idea, i use 100% perlite, really good for reflectivity, and it keeps my humidity really stable, as basically only the first 2 inches dry out between the every 2.5 hourly feeds, my roots fill my 60 litre pots in under 90 days, and weight a shitload!!

deep buddy

deep buddy

why not just use poly mulch easy to install, light weight and cheap. also years of proven use in the ag industry. try farmtek. or as ty said the same material you made your containers out of.

and you guys are really doing some amazing work there cant wait to see how it all turns out.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Thanks fellas, for the suggestions and awesome feedback!
We have decided to fill the beds in with Coco/soil .We opted out of perlite for light penetration reasons as the roots are now coming up all over on the surface.
The sides have not yet been installed but we will go with the landscape fabric used to create the troughs.
Flip is coming up after a battle with too low PH in the medium. We added lime, perhaps a bit too much and the ladies needed some time to adapt/recup. All is back to normal.
Coco+soil is definitely our favorite so far but we are far from the finish line:-)

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Hey bro, I was thinking that if you sealed your concrete with some kind of elastomeric white paint on the walls and maybee grey on the floors it would help you with your humidity. It would force that concrete to stop sucking it out of the air. I used to have the same prob in an 11k room and the paint helped out allot.

flowamasta

flowamasta

interesting you use coco/soil for the beds instead of perlite, i don't get any roots poking throuh the top of my system, and i use 100% perlite, after week 2 veg, the plant covers most of the base, hope you don't get any extra issues with bugs using more soil is all, good luck man

looooove this setup, glad to be watching!! Flo

B

Bobby_604

If you're having problem with Thrips and are in the Lower Mainland, go to Jons Plant Factory and ask any of the store workers for Lorsban 4e.

One application and the thrips will be gone forever.

Funny, I read this. I am about to spark up coco 36 lighter.

I'll make a log her on THC about it.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Hey bro, I was thinking that if you sealed your concrete with some kind of elastomeric white paint on the walls and maybee grey on the floors it would help you with your humidity. It would force that concrete to stop sucking it out of the air. I used to have the same prob in an 11k room and the paint helped out allot.

Good idea SweetTooth, will consider it for nexts run

BC farmer

BC farmer

interesting you use coco/soil for the beds instead of perlite, i don't get any roots poking throuh the top of my system, and i use 100% perlite, after week 2 veg, the plant covers most of the base, hope you don't get any extra issues with bugs using more soil is all, good luck man

looooove this setup, glad to be watching!! Flo

Thanks for the concern flowamasta. Bugs are gone. We went with predator thrips, three different kinds and the little fuckers are gone.

BC farmer

BC farmer

If you're having problem with Thrips and are in the Lower Mainland, go to Jons Plant Factory and ask any of the store workers for Lorsban 4e.

One application and the thrips will be gone forever.

Funny, I read this. I am about to spark up coco 36 lighter.

I'll make a log her on THC about it.

Hey Bobby,

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly stop by next time I am around there.
Looking forward to seeing your Coco run, good luck with the built!

S

swisscheese

Roots always seem to jump out of the coco no matter how many times you cover them back up at least in my experience in beds and smart pots. Really impressive work I am going to copy some of your ideas in my next room brother thanks and best of luck hitting that magic number.

BC farmer

BC farmer

What's happening this end?? been a while ;) miss those rows and rows of heaven!

Sorry for the lack of updates.
Here a few pics of the ladies who are about two weeks in. We were not able to fill up the screens entirely, learning steadily about Scrogging.
No more training now, just watching and let them do their thing.We added a mix of coco and promix on top of the troughs to allow the roots more space to grow.
P5160001

P5160005

P5160007

P5160008

P5160009

P5160004
flowamasta

flowamasta

beautiful work man! scrogging ios coming along nicely, great progress for 2 weeks in, everything looks very consistent from here :)

mello

mello

Dude: beautiful setup!

I'm trying to put together a system to easily lift/lower my lights. Can you shed some light on what you've done? Pics would be helpful too...

Cheers brother.

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

If I were in your shoes- I'd be dancing a jig- seriously, I don't know that I'd go with perlite. You want to keep those roots in the dark and perlite is white. Also, reflecting light up from the bottom does the plants no good, as all the chloroplasts are on the tops of the leaves.

Since you're doing the orgasmic thing anyway, maybe find some kind of material that keeps the light out but allows you to pour ACT (aerated compost tea) and such right through. Heck, maybe just more of the same stuff that already forms the bottom!

As a related thought, if you hung a strip of that black material- or just black plastic- along both sides of each trough, the roots would be in the dark, get more humidity and might not airprune so quickly, leading to more root mass down in the trough itself. This would give them a second bite at the water/nutes apple as it runs to waste, without any risk of them drowning.
coco mulch! works wonders

G

greengaint17

Hey whats up Bc Farmer just wanna say VERY nice room, I am currently going to do extream room make over soon , in the next few months I am also out in the bc interoir too and its getting way too hot out here its in the mid 20s already so gonna shut the room down after this round and redo the rooms for fall/winter time hopfully
I can only hope my room turns out as nice yours as I dont have any help here so its a DYI for me
Just wanna ask if you got any advice for me?
I am currently running 8 1000w with and excel 3 ton, co2, dh in my flowering room
my veg room is running 6 1000w with air in and out
I know it doesnt make sense for me to do inclosed for only the flowering room but I did not have the funds for 2 ac units of that size, I bought a smaller split ac unit for my veg room but it does nothing cause summers here are in the 30s
I am planning on changing my flower room to my veg room with 9 or 10 1000w
and changing my current veg room to my flowering room and putting 20 1000w with 3 intakes and 2 out or 3 in and 3 out
Co2, 2 carbon fliters and alot of fans to move the air
my question is that winter here will be cold enough to cool the 20 lights but humidty is really low in the winters will it be ok to flower with 20 to 30% humdity?
cause I know it did not help for my veg when the humdity was that low
I also wanted to ask you if you have this problem with the water too
I use a ro fliter as well but only for flowering, when I used it for veg they would just die, I would have to use well water for clones/veg stage and ro fliter water or ac/dh run off water for veg and the plants and they would be fine
I am still having some leaf yellowing problems that I can not figure out still, hopping I can take a photo and upload it here to see if any of you guys here can help me see whatthe problem is

BC farmer

BC farmer

Dude: beautiful setup!

I'm trying to put together a system to easily lift/lower my lights. Can you shed some light on what you've done? Pics would be helpful too...

Cheers brother.

Pretty basic my friend. We use a pulley system, a bit of rope and some metal bars (ones used for conduit).
I will try to take some detailed pics tonight for you. Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Top Bottom