• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Ready... Set... GO!!!!!!!!
Will soon, Thur. be starting from seed our vegetable garden.
I will have set up a starter table under 1000 watts we will plant the full spectrum of veggies.
Most are heirloom seeds...
What are you all planning on planting???

Cort

Cort

Dont know how this B&W scan will show up for detail. Not all is to be planted at once 3-4 week spread on the carrots, beets, corn, bush beans and others so that I always have fresh. Its a 25x25 area, with a planned foot around the outside edges. Really just a rough idea.

Will have several varieties peppers, including Ghost peppers, habanero, jalapeno Thai, a couple egg plants and bush beans for now because I dont have time to build trellis. Several varieties of store bought "heirloom" tomatoes. Just flinging manure on the wall to see what cultivars grow good in the desert. Some starts already started, some herbs like mint will stay in pots so it does not become invasive.

criticism welcomed, opinions valued.

By the time I started laying things out and thinking how much some will produce, I started thinking this is a bit much garden space.
Planner from http://gardenplanner.motherearthnews.com/gardenplanner/gardenplanner.html#

Scan1

Cort

Cort

Any tips on fast growing soil conditioning cover crops for the spaces Ill have dormant / unused for a bit (like the 2nd corn patch, the areas melon vines have yet to take over..,) this is virgin ground.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Any tips on fast growing soil conditioning cover crops for the spaces Ill have dormant / unused for a bit (like the 2nd corn patch, the areas melon vines have yet to take over..,) this is virgin ground.
Yeah. Go to groworganic.com and get one of their mixes. Or, go through your cupboard and get out the bush beans and stuff. I like fenugreek and mustard, along with clovers, vetch, and legumes.

Cort

Cort

I got as much manure as I can in the ground right now. 7 scoops total amendments between compost, cow, horse and goat. I still look sandy. Ill just drop in extra bush beans everywhere. Cheap.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mustard is good because it drops a very deep tap root, allows bioaccumulation of deeper minerals. Using a guild or suite of multiple species, biodiversity if you will, allows much better results from cover cropping.

Drifting13

Drifting13

I have my buckets about 3/4 set up. All 10 bean buckets, done. 25 heirloom tomato buckets, done. About 15 to 20 Mater buckets to go. I love my heirloom Maters!

Mr.7thson

Mr.7thson

Just got some Boston pickling cukes going right now.Here's some Black Krim,great stuff :)
These are from a couple a seasons ago.

Last edited:
Mr.7thson

Mr.7thson

I tried removing the info on the pic because I forgot to do this the first time and now it doesn't work.I can't seam to remove personal info and upload for some reason.

P1000004
MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Just got some Boston pickling cukes going right now.Here's some Black Krim,great stuff :)
These are from a couple a seasons ago.
I deleted ur post with the pic... is that what u wanted? My bad if thats not what u wanted.. <<<im major stoned

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I got a grip of strawberries in full bloom rite now...the punk squirrels, rabbit , & a black crow already ate the 1st five strawberries that ripened...gurrrrr.....& now the gofers r creeping. ..
4 the past 8 yrs the black birds completely stripped my cherry tree the 1st day the cherries turn red..

I got some hungry wild animals around here..

Cort

Cort

My aunt told me of an old home remedy for gopher. Drop a stick of Juicy fruit gum in the hole and cover the hole. Gophers cant resist opening their holes. They eat the gum and cant pass it. So it clogs them up to death.
Not had to try yet.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

My aunt told me of an old home remedy for gopher. Drop a stick of Juicy fruit gum in the hole and cover the hole. Gophers cant resist opening their holes. They eat the gum and cant pass it. So it clogs them up to death.
Not had to try yet.
Im gunna try the gum them 2 death..LOL

my dog Stocks them when there digging>>> he waits 4 them 2 pop up & grabs them>>>>always bringing the dead body 2 the front door

ZONER

ZONER

Picking up 30 bales of straw this week .... Going to grow my garden in the bales this year. Even might pop some beans into a few bales to see what happens.....:woot:​

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Picking up 30 bales of straw this week .... Going to grow my garden in the bales this year. Even might pop some beans into a few bales to see what happens.....:woot:​

ZONER, put something on or in the bales for N. I just laid down a long line of compost+soil. Works GREAT. :)

ZONER

ZONER

ZONER, put something on or in the bales for N. I just laid down a long line of compost+soil. Works GREAT. :)
Oh most definetly Seamaiden, I will be using drip hoses with a fitting to pull from my well and a 47 gallon horse trailer water container at the same time in order to feed the garden. Picked up a book by Joel Karsten on Straw Bale Gardening seemed interesting and figured what the heck ..... Beats crawling around on bad knees and a messed up back. May use urine at a 20 to 1 ratio for N along with putting EWC on top too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom