2014 vegetable garden action.....

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.7thson

Mr.7thson

I deleted ur post with the pic... is that what u wanted? My bad if thats not what u wanted.. <<<im major stoned
I actually deleted the pic in the first post to remove the info,than was going to re post the pic with the info removed but found out you can't do that.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Off to a good start. we start seeds under lights then into greenhouse till time to plant.. seeds popped in 4 days.. awesome way to get them off to a good start....
DSC 0322

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Veg1

DismalDudeWell-Known Farmer
A bit of a late start this year but I had to wait to get the tiller.Tilling done now and instead of rows as in previous years all I'm going to do is some feathering with my metal rake and then cover soil completely with 4-5 bails of wheat straw.Should be all good by next week and then if no more frost,let the planting begin!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
View attachment 393829

DismalDudeWell-Known Farmer
A bit of a late start this year but I had to wait to get the tiller.Tilling done now and instead of rows as in previous years all I'm going to do is some feathering with my metal rake and then cover soil completely with 4-5 bails of wheat straw.Should be all good by next week and then if no more frost,let the planting begin!
Very nice what are your plans on planting?????

Cort

Cort

I feel your pain. My garden is still in beer cups. Every time I get set to do the work, something that cant wait pops up, like a busted pipe in bathroom. I redesigned anyways. Instead of rows I will be using a hybrid squarefoot gardening and rows. My "rows" will be 4 foot across. I can reach 2 foot in on either side, so as long as I plant diligently I will have access to all

Granted, I dont have all the plants plotted yet, but you get the idea. Seems like the most efficient use of space. Wish I could do raised beds and have great soil for my plants. It will take years to condition my sandbox into good garden soil.

Garden

DismalDude

DismalDude

Off to get straw today.Believe it or not we have a shortage of wheat straw do to foal season and a huge 4H this year.$5.50 a bale...that's high!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I believe it, but in my world this is late in the year for foaling. Those babies shoulda been foaled in January-February if they're futurity prospects!

DismalDude

DismalDude

Ok,got my wheat straw at $5.50 per bale.Need to get one or to more for patching this veggie season.
Anyway,here's the pics. :) Let the planting begin!
IMG 20140412 111934 773
IMG 20140412 113401 567
IMG 20140412 120256 028
IMG 20140412 121422 841

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Got the tilling done today. Raking in mushroom compost, cow manure, and some alfalfa tomorrow. Will start seeds within the week. Variety of tomatoes, peppers (chile and sweet), zuc, squash, cuke, eggplant, watermelon and cantaloupe..and some herbs. Been a while (20+ years) since I've done an outdoor vegetable garden..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My back is objecting STRONGLY to garden chores, and my knees aren't even including themselves in the discussion. I *will* grow something! Just not sure exactly what.

Any of you growing artichoke, and if so, how have you situated your plantings? Do you know if deer will eat artichoke (do I need to make sure it's behind a fence)?

DismalDude

DismalDude

My back is objecting STRONGLY to garden chores, and my knees aren't even including themselves in the discussion. I *will* grow something! Just not sure exactly what.

Any of you growing artichoke, and if so, how have you situated your plantings? Do you know if deer will eat artichoke (do I need to make sure it's behind a fence)?
Artichoke did not do well here two years ago.Never did anything except grow a plant,no veggie,We gave up.
On a brighter note,I planted 12 tomato plants yesterday along with 4 sweet red pepper and 2 mounds of cukes and about 20 bush bean seeds.Putting in some peas today. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They take about 5yrs to produce flowers big enough to eat, IIRC. I just don't know if deer will eat them or avoid them as they do all the other thistle species we have on the property. If they'll avoid them, then I can plant almost anywhere. If not, then they've gotta go behind a fence.

DismalDude

DismalDude

5 years...geez,guess I should have studied that one a bit more.I love asparagus as well but takes a bit too much time for me.

Top Bottom