24/7 Or 18/6

• Thread starter zeusk9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dan1989

dan1989

Plenty people agree with a dark time but can't give a rational explanation why, completely ignoring the science. Comparing the needs of a plant to the needs of a human raises alarm bells in my mind, it tells me the person has no clue what they are talking about.

zeusk9

zeusk9

Lmfao.. I enjoy a nice plate of Guam poo on a cold winters day too..

My mother n law used to work as a agricultural manager in Russia for a company that produced all types of vegetables during communist era. She said they ran their stuff 24 7 in green houses. Otherwise people would starve.

I run my room 24/7 simply because I'm too lazy to hit the switches.

Point is.. The hardest thing as a novice who's attempting to learn the trade, is managing between plant science and grower orthodoxy.
llol why i thinking trying 24/7 stop room temp and so on droping to far at nhgit as well i thinking

P

PassTheJ

llol why i thinking trying 24/7 stop room temp and so on droping to far at nhgit as well i thinking
That's a problem I had and ran 24 7 to keep warm at night. Then I started turning off during the day time. Then realized I'm too lazy and just stopped turning them off altogether.

I probably pay $50 extra a month for my laziness.
In the end, if I had seen any diminishing effects, I'd stop but other then extra electric, they grow just fine.

zeusk9

zeusk9

That's a problem I had and ran 24 7 to keep warm at night. Then I started turning off during the day time. Then realized I'm too lazy and just stopped turning them off altogether.

I probably pay $50 extra a month for my laziness.
In the end, if I had seen any diminishing effects, I'd stop but other then extra electric, they grow just fine.
min now swiched 24/7

P

PassTheJ

Plenty people agree with a dark time but can't give a rational explanation why, completely ignoring the science. Comparing the needs of a plant to the needs of a human raises alarm bells in my mind, it tells me the person has no clue what they are talking about.

What bothers me is why they compare weed to humans. Why not to Giraffes?

Giraffes sleep with both eyes open standing up for about 20 minutes a day.

Why not dolphins?

Why not sea plants that have no sunlight?

It's called narcissistic humanization..

Homesteader

Homesteader

Who is ignoring the science? Is this your science? What exactly are you looking for from people? Do you understand the circadian rhythms of plants? They certainly have one. Of course the plant can be manipulated to go 24 hours of light during veg but they very much need darkness to convert 660nm (active Pr) to 730nm (inactive Pfr). The phytochrome system is the internal clock that the plant possesses.
figure-30-06-01.jpeg

"Since unfiltered sunlight is rich in red light, but deficient in far-red light, at dawn, all the phytochrome molecules in a leaf convert to the active Pfr form and remain in that form until sunset. Since Pfr reverts to Pr during darkness, there will be no Pfr remaining at sunrise if the night is long (winter) and some Pfr remaining if the night is short (summer). The amount of Pfr present stimulates flowering, setting of winter buds, and vegetative growth according to the seasons."
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-biology/chapter/plant-sensory-systems-and-responses/

P

PassTheJ

Who is ignoring the science? Is this your science? What exactly are you looking for from people? Do you understand the circadian rhythms of plants? They certainly have one. Of course the plant can be manipulated to go 24 hours of light during veg but they very much need darkness to convert 660nm (active Pr) to 730nm (inactive Pfr). The phytochrome system is the internal clock that the plant possesses.
figure-30-06-01.jpeg

"Since unfiltered sunlight is rich in red light, but deficient in far-red light, at dawn, all the phytochrome molecules in a leaf convert to the active Pfr form and remain in that form until sunset. Since Pfr reverts to Pr during darkness, there will be no Pfr remaining at sunrise if the night is long (winter) and some Pfr remaining if the night is short (summer). The amount of Pfr present stimulates flowering, setting of winter buds, and vegetative growth according to the seasons."
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-biology/chapter/plant-sensory-systems-and-responses/
That just tells us how the plant registers seasons.

Show me evidence that the rate of foliage is diminished based on how much pfr converts to fr during veg state.

Matter of fact if the conversion tells the plant what season it's in and that technically tells the plant how to grow, running its 247 starting week 4 might have positive attributes where the plant thinks its early summer all the time and it grows as such all the time.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

I didn't say it would stress it out, just providing the science of plants internal clocks. The plant doesn't need to convert Pfr but it wont finish its life cycle until it does.

P

PassTheJ

I didn't say it would stress it out just providing the science of plants internal clocks.

Yea but does that internal clock diminish growth during veg state? I could never find any good info on this matter anywhere. I've read a few books and they all talk about fr and pfr as an internal clock but never get into how it effects the plant if manipulated.

I'd like to finally find out but something tells me I should hold my breath.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree....had a guy tell me once he wud never give his plants water from a dehumidifier cuz he himself wudnt drink it....i sed i wudnt drink compost tea neither but i give my plants that too....haha

I did 24/0 for years w/o a single noticeable adverse reaction and again the only reason i do 18/6 is to save on power
I'm riding with the gnome on this one. doesn't matter. was prolly some dr. phil botanist said this. Went 24/0 and 18/6 with no better results. I'm with using 18/6 like others to cut production costs. 24/0 did not affect final dry yields at all.......

Homesteader

Homesteader

Yea but does that internal clock diminish growth during veg state? I could never find any good info on this matter anywhere. I've read a few books and they all talk about fr and pfr as an internal clock but never get into how it effects the plant if manipulated.
I think it depends on your lighting (how intense) and environment (CO2) and whether you are achieving the peak of your DLI. The daily light integral may peak for some strains higher than others. With strong lighting (1500+ Umol) 24 hours could cause photoinhibition and photorespiration, both of which will hinder photosynthesis and may be why people often see not as much benefit with 24 hours on.

Last edited:
P

PassTheJ

I think it depends on your lighting (how intense) and environment (CO2) and whether you are achieving the peak of your DLI. The daily light integral may peak for some strains higher than others. With strong lighting (1500+ Umol) 24 hours could cause photoinhibition and photorespiration, both of which will hinder photosynthesis and may be why people often see not as much benefit with 24 hours on.

That makes alot of sense. Guess with burples it's not even a thing..

zeusk9

zeusk9

a friend uster swear buy 24/7 for first 2weeks then 18/6 then 12/12 i never asked why at time but all was had good crop

Top Bottom