240 volt timer for Gavita 1000...?

• Thread starter shaker1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shaker1

shaker1

I have a Gavita 1000 pro and just bought a Sunleaves "SunDial4" digital timer. But, where the light plugs into it is shaped different. It has a horizontal T slot on the left and the reg. horizontal slot on the right, plus a D shape ground slot. The plug on the light cord itself has the 2 horizontal tabs plus a round ground tab. The light will plug in and the guy at the shop says it "should" work but it's the only light I got and don't want to blow it or void the warranty. Anyone know if this is a "universal" plug? Appriciate any info. pic attached.

240 volt timer for gavita 1000
S

seebobsled

120 volt outlet 20 amp used alot on commercial construction sites all the time for heavy draw power tools. Standard outlets are usually 15 amps

shaker1

shaker1

correct...240v only as was the timer...it worked for about 30 minutes then shut off...(yes I set it right), so took it back and getting a 240 mechanical one.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Yeah i think the intermatic t104 would work great for you,Gavita also does not recommend running on a flip either so i wish someone would come out with a lighting controller with 2 sets of plugs with one on while the other is off,flipping/changing back and forth every 12 hours.I dont mind paying for the extra ballasts but it would be nice to be able to run 2 rooms off of 1 240 line.I was going to ask hiboy about this very thing in the electrical thread but he hasnt been on in a while,hopefully all is well with him and hes just busy harvesting.

deacon1503

deacon1503

research NEMA plug configurations. never guess with electrical. know.

S

seebobsled

Yes my bad 240 v
if the right hand blade was vertical 20 amp 120v

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
I like to use these. They have worked flawlessly for me for a few years now.

jkbeing

jkbeing

Yeah i think the intermatic t104 would work great for you,Gavita also does not recommend running on a flip either so i wish someone would come out with a lighting controller with 2 sets of plugs with one on while the other is off,flipping/changing back and forth every 12 hours.I dont mind paying for the extra ballasts but it would be nice to be able to run 2 rooms off of 1 240 line.I was going to ask hiboy about this very thing in the electrical thread but he hasnt been on in a while,hopefully all is well with him and hes just busy harvesting.
You could use a DPDT relay to power your ballasts, that way you only need one timer and the ballasts from room A would never get power while room B is on. Basically, build a flipbox before your ballasts. Really cheap to build yourself. Hope that gives you an idea at least.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

You could use a DPDT relay to power your ballasts, that way you only need one timer and the ballasts from room A would never get power while room B is on. Basically, build a flipbox before your ballasts. Really cheap to build yourself. Hope that gives you an idea at least.
That is exactly what im looking for JK,im gonna look up a dpdt relay now because i have no clue what it is/does.I definitely want either one side or the other powered up at a time and want to avoid the possibility of screwing up and having both fire at the same time or id just run another 240 line.

jkbeing

jkbeing

Get a relay with a 120v coil so your normal timer with operate it. When the timer is on, the relay will send power to room A and room B will have no power. When the timer turns off, the coil switches and puts power to room B and room A turns off. If you have an HVAC store near you, they are the best prices on relays that I have seen.

jkbeing

jkbeing

I would also run relays that power contactors that power the ballasts, depending on how many lights you want to run at one time. You could also get a delay relay so all your lights don't fire up at the same time, if you got a lot.

Hank

Hank

I'm only going to run one gavita pro 1000 so what I did was run a new circuit. I added a double pole 15 A breaker to my panel I figured if the light only draws about 5 amps max a 14/2 wire would be good. I ran it to a box and installed a 240 volt receptacle. My timer is a Intermatic HB112c 15 amp 240 volts Air Conditioner and Appliance Timer it plugs straight into the receptacle then you just plug the light cord into the timer.
I thought the larger Intermatic was overkill for such small amps.
Let you know how that timer works havent tried the light yet.

Hank

Hank

Shaker1 I have a question when you bought your light was new? Did it come with any information in the box? Did the bulb have black ends?
The reason I ask is I just purchased a new pro 1000 but when I got it home and opened it the bulb had blackened ends, looks like its been used. Also there was nothing in the box in regards to a manual or leaflet. I know the store I bought it from said they were testing a Gavita pro 1000, I wonder if they mixed it up?
Kind of sucks because I drove 1.5 hours just to buy it. I was thinking of asking them to send me a new bulb but I doubt they will do it. Hate to drive all the way back there just to switch the light.

shaker1

shaker1

Hey Hank, the black ends, from what I read, is from where they "test fire" the light before shipping. And will fade after a bit of regular use....Mine had it too, but haven't checked the ends since hooking it up. Mine came with just a piece of paper with general safety instructions, no booklet or anything. I've run mine on all the different wattages through out veg and have had it on 1150w since I flipped 12/12 and the girls are lovin' it!! I'll be getting another one come upgrade time. You can see my "girls" and the Gavita in use in the grow diary "5 ko kush and 1 kolossus". Good luck.

Hank

Hank

Thanks Shaker1 I just contacted the store and they confirmed what you said that Gavita tests all the fixtures before shipping. But the general instruction were at the store so they emailed me a copy. So all is good.
I have the light on right now doing some temperature testing. @ 750 watts directly under the light at 51 inches its 24.2 C (75.6)
I'm using a 5x5 Gorilla grow tent with a total heigh of 7.75 ft with a 6in Can Max Fan 335 cfm and a 66 Can charcoal filter and muffler. I'll check out your grow sounds great.

Hank

Hank

So with the tent empty and the light at 1150 watts the temp is 27.5 C (81.5F) ( thermometer sitting on a milk crate) 51 inches from the light. I'm a bit concerned because I figure its going to get hotter when the plants are in and get big. I still have room to raise the light so that might help

shaker1

shaker1

I had to put holes in the wall to bring in winter air, lol...low 80's at 1150w, about 2ft above canopy...with a 12" fan and 400cfm, 6" to 8" exhaust...in a 3.5 x 3.5 space....if you have the chance to upgrade now, I would go big on the exhaust fan with speed control....I'm going to a vortex 8" next time! Good air movement is critical with high heat, imo. Here's a little pic of what I got goin' on........

IMG 1636
IMG 1649
Top Bottom