2nd grow from seed and looking to document my grow from start to finish. Hoping you will share your girls also along this journey. Happy growing!

• Thread starter Robert23howard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Robert23howard

Couple pictures on how the girls are doing. We are trying to stretch them across our bottom trellis’s prior to flipping the lights. They really are starting to fill the tents up but we are not where we want to be yet. So with so good advice from sambapati of - why mess with what worked last time! We are going to continue vegging them for another week, just to get them where we truly want them prior.

So pic 1
Is of my 6 girls - stretched them to the corners some and towards the middle. Had to raise 2 of them as they were running behind some. May have to raise one more but she is right on the verge of making it. Will probably give her a couple days before I decide. But they are close to where I want them but not perfect and no need to rush. A extra week or 2 will give a much larger yield.

Pic 2 is of my brothers grow. He has really filled his net out over the past week and a half. He I believe is a little further along than I am as of today. These are going to be really nice when we flip. Still hoping to flip together as of now. He may not be able to hold out though and have to flip. Got a week to figure that out though as of now he is still stretching through his bottom trellis. You may notice he has 4 inch holes. I went with 2 inch, I did use the 2” last grow and really liked being able to stretch them out quicker. The larger holes they have to grow more before you can start stretching because the holes are just further apart. So I think they get more light down the stems sooner and produce thicker secondary beaches. Not a fact, just what I think.

So that is all there is to update. Blumat system is working perfectly and I have never been more happy. No more watering for me and it is wonderful. They are drinking right around 2 gallons total for all 6 a day so the 7 gallon bucket I have is good for 3 days before I have to add water to it. Life is good for now.

BD603D01 5156 49C7 AC98 8656A16812E3
F229F9C5 4A12 4097 9DE9 238032116F87
sambapati

sambapati

Couple pictures on how the girls are doing. We are trying to stretch them across our bottom trellis’s prior to flipping the lights. They really are starting to fill the tents up but we are not where we want to be yet. So with so good advice from sambapati of - why mess with what worked last time! We are going to continue vegging them for another week, just to get them where we truly want them prior.

So pic 1
Is of my 6 girls - stretched them to the corners some and towards the middle. Had to raise 2 of them as they were running behind some. May have to raise one more but she is right on the verge of making it. Will probably give her a couple days before I decide. But they are close to where I want them but not perfect and no need to rush. A extra week or 2 will give a much larger yield.

Pic 2 is of my brothers grow. He has really filled his net out over the past week and a half. He I believe is a little further along than I am as of today. These are going to be really nice when we flip. Still hoping to flip together as of now. He may not be able to hold out though and have to flip. Got a week to figure that out though as of now he is still stretching through his bottom trellis. You may notice he has 4 inch holes. I went with 2 inch, I did use the 2” last grow and really liked being able to stretch them out quicker. The larger holes they have to grow more before you can start stretching because the holes are just further apart. So I think they get more light down the stems sooner and produce thicker secondary beaches. Not a fact, just what I think.

So that is all there is to update. Blumat system is working perfectly and I have never been more happy. No more watering for me and it is wonderful. They are drinking right around 2 gallons total for all 6 a day so the 7 gallon bucket I have is good for 3 days before I have to add water to it. Life is good for now.
Did we oxygenate the H2o?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

whoooa. dare I repeat whooOOOOAA man @Robert23howard and "unseen bro" great grows and welcome to the Farmdamly Dojo. I missed it till meow but just sped through and damnnn we have quite a bit in common. So glad you have a seasoned grower like Sambapati to have rolled along with ya. Really interested in a few things about your grow and look forward to comin at ya like a flyin Sugar Glider later today once cobwebs out of eyes and such 👻

R

Robert23howard

whoooa. dare I repeat whooOOOOAA man @Robert23howard and "unseen bro" great grows and welcome to the Farmdamly Dojo. I missed it till meow but just sped through and damnnn we have quite a bit in common. So glad you have a seasoned grower like Sambapati to have rolled along with ya. Really interested in a few things about your grow and look forward to comin at ya like a flyin Sugar Glider later today once cobwebs out of eyes and such 👻
Thank you for the response and looking forward to the Flyin Sugar Glider!!! Lol

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Thank you for the response and looking forward to the Flyin Sugar Glider!!! Lol
Funny thing is I had 2 sugar gliders as pets when lived in CO in 2004-5. Things had a way of gettin away from me today and still are. Where you hail here in the US? I'm actually a bit in trim jail/hell on top of multi-taskin work and a bunch of other worthless shit but hope to be on this eve a bit. Really interested in your Blumat thoughts thus far. I bought and haven't installed yet. Also bought full on diy drip irrigation shit and that also is just sittin here. Seems everywhere I go there I am and that is the fkin problem 🤣

R

Robert23howard

So I went with the 2 carrots in the 5 gallon pots with 2 drippers attached to each, one end and one middle per. So that is 4 total drippers for each plant. I did think after the fact, having one carrot per plant with 4 drippers (3 middle and 1 end) would work well also. I read a bunch and noticed they say up to 5 drippers per carrot, but many say it doesn’t work extremely well unless you have lots of gravity from the reservoir being really high above the system. Well I only was putting my reservoir around 4ft high so it worried me. I decided on 2 carrots with the 2 drippers. I have noticed that the 2nd dripper does drip slower then the first dripper. Not bad but a little slower. So seeing how I have the 4 drippers in each pot total I hooked up to the other 2 drippers from the same carrot and did see that the chain continued as the third was a little slower than 2 and the 4th was a little slower drip than 3. However they worked just fine and it got the soil moisture perfect. Now with to the 2 carrots per pot it took a little longer to get each carrots dripping at the same soil moisture level but once I got both dialed in together (took about a week), I really enjoy it. But either is very nice. Watering has never been easier and with the trellis being in place no more getting down and crawling under the net to water. I simply fill up my reservoir every 3 days or so and keep it moving. Plants are happy and the watering system help with bugs because they only make a small quarter size water spot on the top of the soil, the moisture is below the top surface of dried dirt.

Not sure this answers any questions but I tried to explain my thoughts with the setup and then what I have experienced from tinkering with them. Definitely worth the money spent. Happy with the accessories as well. I like the dripper holders instead of them laying in the soil and not being able to see the drip to ensure it is working.

Last edited:
R

Robert23howard

Funny thing is I had 2 sugar gliders as pets when lived in CO in 2004-5. Things had a way of gettin away from me today and still are. Where you hail here in the US? I'm actually a bit in trim jail/hell on top of multi-taskin work and a bunch of other worthless shit but hope to be on this eve a bit. Really interested in your Blumat thoughts thus far. I bought and haven't installed yet. Also bought full on diy drip irrigation shit and that also is just sittin here. Seems everywhere I go there I am and that is the fkin problem 🤣
Did reply but forgot to hit reply! Lol Sorry about that but it is either above this post or below it. Still trying to figure that part out.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

So I went with the 2 carrots in the 5 gallon pots with 2 drippers attached to each, one end and one middle per. So that is 4 total drippers for each plant. I did think after the fact, having one carrot per plant with 4 drippers (3 middle and 1 end) would work well also. I read a bunch and noticed they say up to 5 drippers per carrot, but many say it doesn’t work extremely well unless you have lots of gravity from the reservoir being really high above the system. Well I only was putting my reservoir around 4ft high so it worried me. I decided on 2 carrots with the 2 drippers. I have noticed that the 2nd dripper does drip slower then the first dripper. Not bad but a little slower. So seeing how I have the 4 drippers in each pot total I hooked up to the other 2 drippers from the same carrot and did see that the chain continued as the third was a little slower than 2 and the 4th was a little slower drip than 3. However they worked just fine and it got the soil moisture perfect. Now with to the 2 carrots per pot it took a little longer to get each carrots dripping at the same soil moisture level but once I got both dialed in together (took about a week), I really enjoy it. But either is very nice. Watering has never been easier and with the trellis being in place no more getting down and crawling under the net to water. I simply fill up my reservoir every 3 days or so and keep it moving. Plants are happy and the watering system help with bugs because they only make a small quarter size water spot on the top of the soil, the moisture is below the top surface of dried dirt.

Not sure this answers any questions but I tried to explain my thoughts with the setup and then what I have experienced from tinkering with them. Definitely worth the money spent. Happy with the accessories as well. I like the dripper holders instead of them laying in the soil and not being able to see the drip to ensure it is working.

Perrrrrrfect and thanks much. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. So you must have some sort of living soil if mostly feeding water through the carrots no? Honestly this is kinda where I got stuck. How was I going to deal with using the Blumats for water but then be adding nutes(for me basically seaweed and molasses) ever other water/ feed/ water/feed etc and not be constantly screwing up the Blumats saturation "dialing-in". Like you said it took a week and you have it dialed in now what happens if you hand feed nutes to them? Does it throw the Blumats off? I was at the point where I made 2 holes in the 5 gallon painters buckets and was going to use 1 for water and 1 for nutes and just turn the one on that I wanted to use. Literally where I gave up/put off moving forward. How can I use the blumats if I alternate between nutes and watering every time. I have 6 Purple Dragon Balls that are like 35 days from sprout. They are regs so don't know how many will make the cut. They are all in 3gal fabs but they are "Mary pots", the bottom is Velcro and has a net at the bottom, so I can take this and put it in a larger pot and not have to take it out of the 3gal to transplant. Just take bottom off and place slightly into larger pot. So how many are female will dictate how may plants I have through flower and I won't know for a few weeks. This also turned me off cause I didn't want to set the blumats up and then have to change them weeks later. I'm just being a major wuss and I can't seem to get over it. In a few weeks I will have a new strain to look after in another tent. I plant to go from a solo cup to 3g to 7g and definitely want to use the Blumats. Real nice scrog net you got going on. Did you see the 1 plant SCROG challenge we got goin on? Come check it out and if at all possible jump on in. Gang of good peeps throwin down scrog style and it is just get started -> HERE

sambapati

sambapati

Yes, having the visual confirmation showing you what is actually happening is great post purchase confirmation. Sounds like slow and steady at this point you are dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's. @PerfecTrader can mos def use your grow as a blueprint once he cures his unboxing disease. What was the total USD cost of the Bluemat?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Yes, having the visual confirmation showing you what is actually happening is great post purchase confirmation. Sounds like slow and steady at this point you are dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's. @PerfecTrader can mos def use your grow as a blueprint once he cures his unboxing disease. What was the total USD cost of the Bluemat?
$86 for the lazy chickenshit over here 🤣

20221021 193759
sambapati

sambapati

Not lazy...you are just in an action challenged stasis. So I used the Organics Terp teas on my last grow and was very happy with them. To do them correctly the instructions call for oxygenation for 24 hours prior to feeding. I'm guessing that would still happen and then bring the prepared water and introduce it to the system and hope it doesn't clog. Will check the Bluemats website and take a second look.

R

Robert23howard

Perrrrrrfect and thanks much. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. So you must have some sort of living soil if mostly feeding water through the carrots no? Honestly this is kinda where I got stuck. How was I going to deal with using the Blumats for water but then be adding nutes(for me basically seaweed and molasses) ever other water/ feed/ water/feed etc and not be constantly screwing up the Blumats saturation "dialing-in". Like you said it took a week and you have it dialed in now what happens if you hand feed nutes to them? Does it throw the Blumats off? I was at the point where I made 2 holes in the 5 gallon painters buckets and was going to use 1 for water and 1 for nutes and just turn the one on that I wanted to use. Literally where I gave up/put off moving forward. How can I use the blumats if I alternate between nutes and watering every time. I have 6 Purple Dragon Balls that are like 35 days from sprout. They are regs so don't know how many will make the cut. They are all in 3gal fabs but they are "Mary pots", the bottom is Velcro and has a net at the bottom, so I can take this and put it in a larger pot and not have to take it out of the 3gal to transplant. Just take bottom off and place slightly into larger pot. So how many are female will dictate how may plants I have through flower and I won't know for a few weeks. This also turned me off cause I didn't want to set the blumats up and then have to change them weeks later. I'm just being a major wuss and I can't seem to get over it. In a few weeks I will have a new strain to look after in another tent. I plant to go from a solo cup to 3g to 7g and definitely want to use the Blumats. Real nice scrog net you got going on. Did you see the 1 plant SCROG challenge we got goin on? Come check it out and if at all possible jump on in. Gang of good peeps throwin down scrog style and it is just get started -> HERE
I completely agree with the scenarios and thought of that as well. Wanted to add it in my first grow but thought it would be to big of a pain in butt. Especially with nutes! So I decided this grow to go with Sohum super soil and they obviously advertise none needed for the entire grow. A friend of mine just grew and harvested with this soil and wished he had added a top dressing along the way. It preformed well for him but thought he could have grown larger more dense buds had he added in both later veg and several times in flower. So I decided on the Terp teas grow and microbe for veg and bloom and bloom boster during flower and deep flower I will kick in some booster. I already hand watered in some with the Blumats in place and it went just fine. The Blumats stayed the exact same when I added some water over the top dressing. Mind you the top dressing mixes in the dirt much slower than regular watering because I only use a 12 oz cup of PH’d (6.3-6.5) over the top to not soak my plants. So it took 3 waterings to get it all the way in but that was over 9 days as I only added the extra 12oz of water every third day and let the Blumats continue dripping away. Once I added the water the Blumats waited until the soil got back to where it was prior and then started to drip again.

Also as far as I know the Blumats have the filtering systems that I put on each side of the hose as the picture I attached and they do a really good job of filtering the nutrients in the reservoir if you were to just add nutes through that. I bought them just to try but will do that next grow for a cycle and then go back to just the PH’d water as it seems to be working extremely well with the occasional top dressing.

I can definitely switch between nutes and water pretty easy. You know pretty quickly about how much your plants are drinking a day. You can let it run down pretty far and then add your nutes you want to give it measured out and throw that in your reservoir. It will run out about when you think. And then simply add your PH’d water back in at the amount you want and it will do the same. Then keep the cycle going.

The regular seeds are a bit different as you would separate them off your system and then have holes. But you could always have another piece of tubing and turn the system off for a second and replace the carrot with a long tube which would then solve that problem.

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Getting dissolved oxygen to the roots is a major bottleneck in metabolism

That's why hydro and choir really work well. It's oh so critical for the higher temperature cause it's dissolving capacity is lower as Temp increases

R

Robert23howard

That's why hydro and choir really work well. It's oh so critical for the higher temperature cause it's dissolving capacity is lower as Temp increases

I am not exactly up to speed on what you are saying in the first paragraph. Can you dumb that down some for me, lol. Not trying at all to sound like a smart ass! Just would like to know exactly what you are saying as to hopefully learn something. I do understand the 2nd paragraph on Hydro and Coco. Still working on my soil game, not ready for that yet. Was worried enough about the addition of a watering system let alone water, return, waste, etc…. Hopefully one day when I graduate soil 101.

Thanks for the post and look forward to your response. Knowledge and sharing is exactly what I was looking for during this grow. Along with some notes to look back like a journal. Just sharing mine with you all is even better. Realized I am not a great writer and hopefully working on that some along the way as well!!! Lol

R

Robert23howard

I was interested in the one plant Scrog and think that would be super fun. I just can’t make this trip. The veg time doesn’t aline with my current grow. I would need at least 4 - 5 months of veg time to compete with the HYDRO and other method growers. Would definitely like to do one though in the future.

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

I am not exactly up to speed on what you are saying in the first paragraph. Can you dumb that down some for me, lol. Not trying at all to sound like a smart ass! Just would like to know exactly what you are saying as to hopefully learn something. I do understand the 2nd paragraph on Hydro and Coco. Still working on my soil game, not ready for that yet. Was worried enough about the addition of a watering system let alone water, return, waste, etc…. Hopefully one day when I graduate soil 101.

Thanks for the post and look forward to your response. Knowledge and sharing is exactly what I was looking for during this grow. Along with some notes to look back like a journal. Just sharing mine with you all is even better. Realized I am not a great writer and hopefully working on that some along the way as well!!! Lol
Sorry I didn't quote him As @sambapati suggest with the tea it's creating oxygen by giving them something for the microbes and increase the amount of dissolve oxygen

Also why good drainage is beneficial. With the caveat of drying out faster ..

Sounds like a good plan. Cause it's probably ongoing and keeping it saturated

Especially when you get over say 80 f it's a real issue. But a good rule of thumb at any Temp
Images

R

Robert23howard

Sorry I didn't quote him As @sambapati suggest with the tea it's creating oxygen by giving them something for the microbes and increase the amount of dissolve oxygen

Also why good drainage is beneficial. With the caveat of drying out faster ..

Sounds like a good plan. Cause it's probably ongoing and keeping it saturated

Especially when you get over say 80 f it's a real issue. But a good rule of thumb at any Temp View attachment 1295161
Ahhhh!!! Wasn’t putting 2 and 2 together there on that. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the more in depth explanation.

Top Bottom