3,200sq. Ft. Warehouse/help With Setup

• Thread starter Spectre
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Gonna go with OSB over drywall for sheeting, much easier to work with IMO.

That's were I was saying you could save on the walls. Go with metal studs and then throw some of that rigid foam board up.
Then you can then go in there and do the OSB after you knocked out a grow and recouped some cheddar, fwiw.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I'm in Southern Cali. Some stuff i can get used like fans but i'm trying to bring in as much new equipment as possible to avoid problems later. The DE fixtures I can get around $400 ea. Regular basic HIDs for $130 ea. So I'm thinking of just going with 2 rooms of wings, 12 lights per room on a flip (no flip-box). 6-Light rooms don't feel worth the effort in this space.

Gonna go with OSB over drywall for sheeting, much easier to work with IMO.

Sounds like you're on it. Best of luck and just think if you can get it figured out during the summer months, the rest of the year should be a breeze!

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Delta and wye (Y) are keywords for your three phase research. Like Billyboat said the custom ballasts are just a voltage thing. AC, pumps, and fan motors are where it will save you money.

Spectre

Spectre

Delta and wye (Y) are keywords for your three phase research. Like Billyboat said the custom ballasts are just a voltage thing. AC, pumps, and fan motors are where it will save you money.

Am I correct in saying that in order to get 240/120v from a three phase you need a step-down transformer? I've read that just using 2 legs from a 3-phase panel will only provide 208v?

B

butchdsd

Spectre...depends what each leg provides...some three phase put out the same voltage across all three legs....

Spectre

Spectre

Spectre...depends what each leg provides...some three phase put out the same voltage across all three legs....

I'm going over there monday with my electrician to check it out. He'll let me know what's up. I'm sure he was just estimating on the high end because he hasn't seen the place yet. I'll snap a few more pics too.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Your going to buck down your power from 480/3ph to a 208/110 single phase..220/240v is not really a commercial voltage used in warehouses..480/277v on the high leg and 208/110 on the low leg, pretty much the same everywhere with few exceptions. You do need to know how many total amps you have to work with though. Your going to have to pull permits and have all the work done by a licensed electrician to have any chance at all passing local inspections. You can run 480v ballast with any ceiling shorter than 12 feet and pass NEC code inspections. Your going to easily spend $10k on electrical alone, a 400amp 208v distribution panel is $2k with out breakers or installation, then you have to run all you circuits tho the rooms.

Do not use OSB for anything in a grow, ever...It is a high temp, high moisture environment OSB will absolutely not stand up to the conditions even short term, plus will not pass inspections. I would treat all wood studs or use pressure treated sills at least unless you can knock out a steel stud frame which is preferred.

5 tons for every 12-15 DE fixtures, Nanolux fixtures will cost you around $350 per unit and pull about 4.8 amps at 1000w

I would hang Uni-struts from the ceiling on 5' centers and hand your fixtures on those. I would run the walls up to the roof and not try and put a ceiling on the space because that ends up being a huge expense and is not required. Much easier and cheaper to run lighting circuits and HVAC without a ceiling over your space. Plus, I see the roof is insulated so your half way there already.

Realistically your looking at around $250k to build out 3500 sq.ft. and do it right but you can do it for about $1000 a light all in or approx $1000 per 32 sq.ft. of lighted surface area

Spectre

Spectre

Thanks for chiming in Tex I've seen your work and you're a true professional. I agree with pretty much everything you are saying in terms of future goals for this place.

I will use a material other than OSB, didn't know it was that susceptible to moisture and heat. I was going to paint everything with moisture-resistant paint but I'll just go with something else.

As far as electrical everything will be up to code as I have a real licensed electrician who I trust to do all the work. I know it will be expensive but worth it to have enough power where I need it. I was under the impression that DE fixtures don't run well on 208v? Can I get the nanoluxs to run 480v?

Thanks again.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Just check the ballast specs. I have Gavita e series on 208 Y, but the classics are only 240v +/-10%. The standard voltage Nanolux also covers 208v.

Spectre

Spectre

I would run the walls up to the roof and not try and put a ceiling on the space because that ends up being a huge expense and is not required. Much easier and cheaper to run lighting circuits and HVAC without a ceiling over your space. Plus, I see the roof is insulated so your half way there already.

The ceiling is 15'

It seems it would cost about the same to do a 10' room rather than run it all the way to the existing ceiling. Thoughts anyone?

Spectre

Spectre

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/i-want-to-see-a-grow-before-i-help-anyone.71999/

This is the kind of thing I meant when I started that thread.

Basement growers over (>) dudes tryna make millions

But at the same time

Isn't this section called "Grow Room Design & Setup" ? Did my title mislead you in some way? Did I not put up a picture in my first post?

I am a 'basement grower' and I haven't asked a single amateur question in this thread, and I definitely didn't seek you out personally for advice or 'secrets.'

"tryna make millions" ? Really? I know I stated that I don't mind starting small, and I value quality waaaaaay more than quantity. You really should have waited until I actually made a mistake, or even planted a seed, to post this. It makes you look silly.

"ask a few questions and learn to grow or solve their garden issues they are in for a big letdown." And lastly you shouldn't give other people's advice out of context. There is no grow yet. No garden issues. Just me asking for some input from anyone offering it.

Shamus

Shamus

I deleted it for a reason.. Lol
I don't care enough about this to stir up another pot o shit.
I was just using this thread as an example.. You took out quite a bit of my post of the quote playing devils advocate on my stance.

But to answer your question no I was not mislead, you are indeed in the right section.
Yes you did post a picture but thats not really the full point of that thread.
Starting small isn't ending small..
Planting a seed? Do you have mother stock? As a basement grower about to have a wear house I'd prolly have something going if I planned on having the room ready within a month or two. (Just some advice ;) ) lol
Especially if they're seeds

Last edited:
Spectre

Spectre

Planting a seed? Do you have mother stock? As a basement grower about to have a wear house I'd prolly have something going if I planned on having the room ready within a month or two. (Just some advice ;) ) lol
Especially if they're seeds

This would have been a perfectly acceptable and welcome post if not accompanied by all the other stuff, which even then would be a good discussion to have if not directed at anyone in particular.

I plan on doing a separate thread for the grow. This was just to get some ideas before I start outfitting this place next week. I've been a lurker on this site and others for years and I've read that post from you before, so I get that it bothers you and others sometimes, but this time it was a little uncalled for.

Kronikcowboy

Kronikcowboy

My group just finished a build and followed a lot of Tex's advice( thanks big dog!), build costs were double what my pencil said lol! Three phase is for electricians only /don't f with it
And understand your lighting sys from the gate read and re read ask reps questions and if they don't know ask the company owners / even hire an engineer. re doing any thing cost three times as much as doing it right
Basically my advice for what it's worth : know your limitations and your commitment level as this industry can and will supersede those limits . And that's just the buildout Now become an agronomist,entomologist,master of putting out fires and roll sevens every time and your on your way!

Last edited:
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

How about a shipping container, make for a good mobile room, fire safe, you can do all the wiring internal with a panel and all and just plug it into a 200 amp service which I am guessing is already there.
Loading dock helps too and I do not see one in the picture.

Spectre

Spectre

How about a shipping container, make for a good mobile room, fire safe, you can do all the wiring internal with a panel and all and just plug it into a 200 amp service which I am guessing is already there.
Loading dock helps too and I do not see one in the picture.

I don't think that's an option. There is a large roll up door in the front but it just doesn't seem practical.

Top Bottom