3 days in complete darkness for more trichomes

• Thread starter uberstuber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

even if this works the last 3 days of a grow arent gonna make a huge difference compared to the months of development proceeding it. except for that one trick to triple bud density

dextr0

dextr0

Dude, i hear if you add rat poison to the res for the last 3 days, your plants will turn into giant tricomes.. You need a chisel and hammer to harvest it..

^^!

colchicine is pretty close to it.
but u add to seeds.

dextr0

dextr0

Nah, I don't think so. Cannabis does not produce ethylene and 48 hrs in a dark room doesn't include any ethylene. The dark period is causing the reaction, at least in my limited testing of this idea. We know the dark period is important in flowering so I do believe it has a role.

Ethylene helps ripening of fruits, but I don't think if exposed to it that a bud would ripen its trichomes like a banana ripens, different forms of biology at work, IMHO. The two things that seems to have a strong relationship to ripening is time & darkness. Otherwise we'd all be flowering on 18/6 to get extra hours of light.

I'll have to try this again and look for increased amounts of trichomes and document the previously noted increased maturity levels. Trying to quantify if it increased resin is going to be practically impossible, some of my cuts get so frosty I couldn't honestly tell if there is more. Thats why I was just looking for an increased maturity level - ie; more cloudy/amber of what was previously clear headed trich's. At least that way I could see if it caused any sort of reaction.

After 48 hrs of complete darkness, I noticed a greater prevalence of cloudy/amber heads compared to plants left in flowering under 12/12 for the same 48 hrs.

Where did u get that cannabis does not produce ethylene??

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Cool. at this point would it not be good to show us macro pics to see for ourselves? This is where talk becomes real in my opinion. Thanks in advance for sharing. Peace GS

My thoughts exactly. Going on 4 years now and no one will take up the challenge.

dextr0

dextr0

all fruits produce ethylene... whats your point dextro

Just that i think that ethylene or something like it is at play here when you stress you plant like that....and if thats true this is not just an old wives tale.

I

iseespies

popping cherrys in the ice like a blizzard

much respect detro. you got good scope. and thanks for cluing me in on that ethylene. i also think it's interesting how people see the same thing but perceive it differently (...to no end). but back to ethylene. i've read of people who practice defoliation for higher yields (the name of the topic on another forum) and a substantial amount of uh practitioners of the technique say it shaves about a week off their flowering time.i dont know why this is but i suspect etheylene. "Stimulates fruit ripening"

Nah, I don't think so. Cannabis does not produce ethylene and 48 hrs in a dark room doesn't include any ethylene. The dark period is causing the reaction, at least in my limited testing of this idea. We know the dark period is important in flowering so I do believe it has a role.

Ethylene helps ripening of fruits, but I don't think if exposed to it that a bud would ripen its trichomes like a banana ripens, different forms of biology at work, IMHO.

first off much love general_sketch i dig your approach. I can see you being great one day. back on topic...
Ethylene is already in the plants says wiki and wiki also says "Environmental cues can induce the biosynthesis of the plant hormone." i.e. the dark cycle. we all know that hormonal changes happen instantly with the light cycles. that's why we use co2 only during lights on. so it's not too much of a stretch to think that a extended dark period might traumatize the plant to release more ethylene. this combined with what i said to dextro earlier about defoliation leads me suspect that ethylene has a bigger role in marijuana horticulture than we think.

theres no real benefit to this. at least not enough to waste your time doing it.

and though you advise against there being no benefits to the extra dark cycle you've convinced me even more that there is! you told me yourself there's something definately going on and if there's something going on i believe there's something that needs to be looked at more closely and then utilized and then "dialed in" as many of the community like to say. :D

ALso have tested time of day, harvesting at night or in the morning. The time of day is more for taste and smoothness rather then trich production.
i appreciate you and thank you for giving me perspective. i never thought about harvesting at different hours and learning new things about mai plant is exhilarating. good stuff indeed. so what would you say is the best time to chop mai plants down? an hour after sun up? right at sun down? i'm smacking mai lips just thinking about the extra flavor all in and around mai buds. makes mai mouth all dryer just thinking about it...kinda like ... cotton mouth. aw

and ty original grower. i'm gonna have "mai friend" (fucking internet... fucking paranoia ... it might be a sign) try that ice water on some of his plants. once again ethylene seems like a likely culprit if it turns out to be true. i'm seeing ethylene everywhere now...

(...to no end!)

L

Lost

So plants fart ethylene thru the fruit so in essence when you are eating fruit, you are eating ass?.....

I hear if you put a bag around your plant and fart into it, it'll ripen faster...

LOL..

Talk about shitty tasting buds tho, OOOOOO!

Im so lost...

I

iseespies

maybe? i dunno. drunk. can never know... too late. no point.

Where did u get that cannabis does not produce ethylene??

i think he saying in like...when you introduce ethylene in the environment via outside sources like you do with co2 in the um...ripening rooms.

p.s. i'm trying to delete this post cuz it's irrelevant and i want people to disregard bt i'm having trouble finding the delete button.

alll i have to say about farts, homie... organics... that shit is bomb.

Taedon83

Taedon83

I have done this test side by side and there were results and the plant in the dark was slightly frostier lookin.Weights and flavor weren't affected. My guess is its affecting the chlorophyll like lost I believe mentioned earlier.

Point is... that it ISNT worth your time unless your bored, have spare room, and running the macdaddy genetic and trying to bring it one step further 99% to 99.3%.

So I say focus on getting that shit down and drying... move on to the next strain,clean,clone,genetic hunt, do research.. Dont risk problems, waste time and space in the dark. So many other time consuming processes this beautiful art of ours requires.

If you want good herb;Get good genes, learn to grow properly and be thorough and consistent with your technique. I'm talking the basics. PHing, stabalizing filtered water, innoculating medium, preventing bugs/disease. Thats the key to more trichomes.

S

sfzoo

If you want good herb;Get good genes, learn to grow properly and be thorough and consistent with your technique. I'm talking the basics. PHing, stabalizing filtered water, innoculating medium, preventing bugs/disease. Thats the key to more trichomes.

:anim_19:

dextr0

dextr0

Why does everyone always question or think we are questioning genetics when someone tries to pull more trics out of a plant?? i always will and have always tried to get the most from my plants reguardless of if i know its a good strain or not...maybe thats just me.

iseespies: when ethylene is applied to tomatoes it turnes them the bright red we like. They go into just what u said a closed room with ethylene. Thats what got me intrested in ethylene along time ago was that it affected tomatoes anthocyanins and i wondered if that was the case with cannabis also....
Long story short i ended up finding out that plants have something called a Secondary Metabolites.

Secondary metabolites are organic compounds that are not directly involved in the normal growth, development, or reproduction of organisms. Unlike primary metabolites, absence of secondary metabolities does not result in immediate death, but rather in long-term impairment of the organism's survivability, fecundity, or aesthetics, or perhaps in no significant change at all. Secondary metabolites are often restricted to a narrow set of species within a phylogenetic group. Secondary metabolites often play an important role in plant defense against herbivory and other interspecies defenses.

The Secondary Metabolism of Plants: Secondary Defence Compounds

* Alkaloids
* Isoprenoids/ Terpenes
* Rubber-like Polymers/ Polyisoprenes
* Phenolic Compounds
* Rare Amino Acids
* Plant Amines
* Glycosides

"Many secondary compounds have signalling functions. Among them are plant hormones,They influence the activities of other cells, control their metabolic activities and co-ordinate the development of the whole plant. Other substances like the just mentioned flower colours serve to communicate with pollinators or protect the plants from feeding by animals or infections. A number of substances is secreted and influences the existence of other species. These substances may be of consistencies ranging from gas to jelly-like."

Which lead me to thinking what are cannabis secondary compounds, how are they used, and what hormones are being used at what stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_hormone

K

Kushmaster

Props to Dextr0. If anyone has provided the most valid evidence it is you! And i like the questions you ask. They make my brain actually think

i raise my bong to you

:anim_19:

P.S. My Pure Kush plant will be sitting 48 hours at the end of her cycle in the dark, alone, getting frosty

dextr0

dextr0

^^Thanx bro, but honestly i should be thanking all the others for making me come with it and go ahead and try to confirm what i think i know.

Ive laid it out how i think, but truth be told i know shit about plants. Ive read and read....and read. Trying to understand different things. I feel if we all sat down and read a little plant botany we would all be a lot better off, sometimes i feel like this shit should be the basics.

That said if im wrong about all this i would like someone to point me in the right direction...for the sake of knowing more about my plant.

My next question is, can ethylene affect DECARBOXYLATION of a trichome?...that is can ethylene help turn thc-a to thc (The word hormone is derived from Greek, meaning 'set in motion.'). This can be answered more easily than will ethylene affect the amout of trichomes because we can see the trichomes turn or not turn. Counting trichomes on top of trichomes a little harder.

K

Kushmaster

Dex ill let you in on a little secret. Ive been in the medical marijuana industry now for a little over a year (im only 19 years old myself). I attend college for a major in botany. You are going down the right path. All i did was research for an entire year before i started growing. I only have a couple harvests under my belt personally, but i dont believe experience is what makes it in this field. No offense to the master growers that i idolize in this industry but most dont know shit beyond what they "have to" to get the bud they desire. If you want to be the best grower/breeder out there, you have to put in the time other than in your garden. I know as much as i know at this young of an age cause i wasnt going to wait for 25 years of growing to teach me what i want to learn. You have to be like Shantibaba and put in the time learning about the thing we all love the most...MARIJUANA!!!

As for the answer to your question, i wish i had an answer but im hitting the books and ill ask my boss next time hes in the grow if i cant find out myself.

Oh and for those who critisize shit, please leave detailed proof so i can roll a fatty and investigate myself. Thanks :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
like the "detailed proof" that this does anything at all?

if you dont think the school of hard knocks means anything in this "industry" you have a LOT to learn

I tried it - didnt do shit - end of story for me

you want me to get in my time machine and go back to the 90's and document it for you?

420king-MASSES

hey garden of dreams clear your messages im trying to send you pm

S

Steve Z

for real GOD.

the real school and education COMES FROM GROWING. not watching someone else grow and have them tell you their experiences, i want to know for myself, and make my own ideas and solutions.

all most people need to learn is general horticulture, and you can zoom out from there.

and all those people you "look up to" as idols in growing are more than likely the exact same people telling you whats what if you picked up a book and tried to learn... seems the hands on approach just seems more sensible

and fun, AND YOU GET WEED OUTTA IT!

sorry off topic had nothing to do with dark-ripening.

dextr0

dextr0

Maybe those of you who tried this diddnt do it right.

Ethylene has very limited solubility in water and does not accumulate within the cell but diffuses out of the cell and escapes out of the plant. Its effectiveness as a plant hormone is dependent on its rate of production versus its rate of escaping into the atmosphere. Ethylene is produced at a faster rate in rapidly growing and dividing cells, especially in darkness.

and look here...
Commercial ripening rooms use "catalytic generators", to make ethylene gas, from a liquid supply of ethanol. Typically, a gassing level of 500 ppm to 2,000 ppm is used, for 24 to 48 hours. Care must be taken to control carbon dioxide levels in ripening rooms when gassing, as high temperature ripening (68F) has been seen to produce CO2 levels of 10% in 24 hours.

not to say these are the levels we need but what are they??

Commercial growers of bromeliads, including pineapple plants, use ethylene to induce flowering. Plants can be induced to flower either by treatment with the gas in a chamber, or by placing a banana peel next to the plant in an enclosed area...

....As the new shoot is exposed to light, reactions by phytochrome in the plant's cells produce a signal for ethylene production to decrease, allowing leaf expansion....How long of a dark period is needed for large amounts of ethylene to accumulate. I believe that is according to strain.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
well shit your right I didnt put banana peels in with my weed - what the fuck was I thinking?

Top Bottom