3 days in complete darkness for more trichomes

• Thread starter uberstuber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Tomorrow we should have gators update. Maybe we will shed some light on this.

There is no light to be shed on this bullocks<<
>>>Just another example of plant molestation at its finest:)

gtd

C

CAPO

Plant molesto....:D.

I tried this technique as a noob years ago, the effect is not worth the effort. All growers need to learn, is a proper flush, relatively organic diet, and most importantly, growing potent crystal-covered strains.
I would, however, like to experiment with a extended dark period; at the beginning of the flowering cycle. I heard budset can come early with some strains.
:passingjoint:

420Gator

420Gator

the first one got the 3 day treatment and the second harvested after 12 hrs of dark. sry if the pics arent a good comparison im not great with the camera but i honestly didnt notice anything special, i think itd be better to let them get 3 more light cycles in and gain that much more weight

DSCF5924
Photo17
S

Steve Z

the 3 day one looks worse IMO

i dont think i will ever touch this topic again in my life LOL. if there is some crazy thing that happens, i dont see it.

other than testing my patience, of course

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
they do look nice for sure:) I praise yo efforts<<
Are you now in agreeance that its a bunch of bullock's:giggle

gtd:passingjoint:

420Gator

420Gator

i never agreed with it just wanted to see for myself and it was real easy to pull 1 out 3 days in advance and just stick it in my closet with a little fan. all my clothes smell great now:smirk

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i never agreed with it just wanted to see for myself and it was real easy to pull 1 out 3 days in advance and just stick it in my closet with a little fan. all my clothes smell great now:smirk

lol BONUS!

V

vancerz

word. thanks for doing this little test.

squiggly

squiggly

what kind of metabolic magic can happen to ANY plant in two days ?:sick0004:

Take a biochemistry course and you'll find out that your sarcasm is a bit out of order :)

Depending on what you add to the mix a cell in your plant can COMPLETELY change its enzyme/protein concentration very rapidly. Sometimes it may take something as tiny as a single hormone molecule to set off this chain reaction.

Many enzymes are built, used, and degraded in no more then ~25 minutes. Some much faster.

Changes in enzyme concentration/production are some of the swiftest changes a plant/animal can undertake. Gene expression can also change in this way but takes a bit longer (still less than a day in some cases).

Cellular processes move extremely quickly. In the space of seconds to minutes thousands of copies of a protein may be created/destroyed in a cell.

Just because it has a stiff stem and doesn't seem to grow a foot a day doesn't mean it's not a moving, breathing, thing. For instance, the beginning of the flowering response begins during the first 12hr dark period.

It could be that for some reason lights off for extended period causes build up of precursor molecules needed for resin production (like IPP, or perhaps a hormone regulating the pathway).

It may not be the case that a dark period helps--but without the proper experimentation this cannot be relegated to "kool aid science" level just yet. I have never done this, but may try sometime.

I'm more interested in how i can play with Abscisic acid to increase resin production/degradation of chlorophylls for the moment :)

All the books and schools in the world and you still will never touch what hands on experience will teach you. Ive been in bunkers, closet's and cupboards and attic's since the mid 80's and everyday I learn something else from the "Girls".

I've got to disagree with your first statement. You will learn perhaps more about how to spend time with your girls in books and schools.

Truly you are comparing apples and....cannabis; howver, for the sake of argument, of course you need hands-on time to match the results of someone with the same. However, everything else held constant the person with schooling wins every time. IE imagine you growing vs yourself--but one who had all your experiences +school/books. He'd destroy you, and he probably wouldn't even need a botany degree to see results. :)

@ Motherlode. I think you misunderstood the gentleman/lady earlier in the thread who said something about bad genetics. What the person said was they didn't think this method would help [a person] if they had bad genetics. Not that you or anyone's specifically are bad. The person is correct to say that. So turns out no reason to be fired up afterall :character0053:

@ This thread

Truth is you guys, from my perspective this is entirely plausible. From a chemically mechanistic point of view. I'm not trying to defend it so much as I'm trying to get the nay-sayers to realize that aggressively discrediting a hypothesis (in absence of any solid data) in its infancy is a million-fold worse for science than being wrong about an idea you want to test.

squiggly

squiggly

The other problem I have is UV is supposed to fuel the frost which MH have and HPS dont. I have seen the bud difference between the two. How would no light fuel this....????

I'll bite.

Read up on phytochrome (pfr--->pr during night) first. Let's assume the UV/resin production pathway works in a similar way (very likely).

Irradiate the plant with UV blah blah. Then into the dark. If the UV-activated proteins responsible retain their activity in dark times, removing the UV rays (which degrade THC, hence why the plant is thought to use it as a sun-screen) would, in that case, result in an increase in overall THC. It would be produced, yet without any degenerative effect from the UVB.

Obviously I have no idea if that's the case. But I swear to you in earnest that it's not far fetched to think it might be (from a strictly biochemical, non-experience-based POV)

squiggly

squiggly

theres no real benefit to this. at least not enough to waste your time doing it.

have done it before the one thing that is clearly different is the sample that got 72 hour darkness was deffinately a less green more gold colored buds.

Sounds like massive chlorophyll breakdown to me :)

lolol seriously

so this canada breeder knows all the secrets to this beloved herb, and everyone else dont know shit

and ice water - why would you want to shock the roots like that, i dont see ANYTHING positive out of coming out of that.

serious motherlode, old wives tales at its finest

i hear driving a nail through the stalk will make it more potent too LOLOL

One of the quickest ways to avoid science is to protect a vacuum of scientific knowledge--especially so strongly. You basically made fun of the guy even though you can't say for sure which of the two of you has the right idea.

I don't necessarily agree with ice on the roots. It is widely known that wounding or stressing many plants stimulates terpene production. It is also generally accepted that tepenes are both defensive and signaling molecules. Terpenes are also low boiling and thus fairly low freezing. Properties that can protect something from the cold. Think chap-stick. Same idea.

He doesn't have science to back it up as you guys point out, but you don't have science to not back it up--ie, you're both in this vacuum of knowledge together. You are paradigm-less. It's the guys who try things, be they wivestales or not, who make stuff happen historically. Not the ones who are quick to judge a new idea silly. Those are the guys you tend not to read about in books.

Top Bottom