3 Per Light ... Who's Hitting It?

• Thread starter Mr.GoodCat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

As am i. I'm not hitting 3 a light, it was more in response to the it's not possible without pics comment, a lot of people with great talent don't like to just give away all the knowledge they've learned the hard way.
I have no trouble with giving away what knowledge I've accumulated with 45 years of growing marijuana or the lifetime I've spent in farming.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Anyone who says they are getting 3 pounds a 1000 W light is either lying or weighing wet, stems and all.

Notice how people who are saying this can't produce photo's of such a grow?
I've seen grows that produced 5 lbs per 1,000 watt, but the trick is they spend 3-4 months in veg and another 2 1/2 months in flower. So 6 months to produce that 5 lbs.

N

Nog

I've seen grows that produced 5 lbs per 1,000 watt, but the trick is they spend 3-4 months in veg and another 2 1/2 months in flower. So 6 months to produce that 5 lbs.

After 4 months in veg the plant wont fill in any more space than say 12 plants vegged for 1 month.

When you are talking length of veg there comes a limit where it is counterproductive to veg anymore.
After all a 1000 W does not cover that big an area effectively, there is only so much plant that you can fit under it.

And you can't fit 5 pounds of plant under a 1 000 W light, you need space and the sun to do that.

About the most you can get under one 1 000 W ligth is a pound of buds, but that is only with a high yielding strain, and the norm is less.

Does not matter how long you veg them for after a certain point, they will just end up too big remember you can only harvest the top 8 inches of so of buds, as the light does not penetrate sufficiently to anything lower than that, so no point in growing 8 foot plants indoors when you can only harvest the top 8 inches effectively.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

After 4 months in veg the plant wont fill in any more space than say 12 plants vegged for 1 month.

When you are talking length of veg there comes a limit where it is counterproductive to veg anymore.
After all a 1000 W does not cover that big an area effectively, there is only so much plant that you can fit under it.

And you can't fit 5 pounds of plant under a 1 000 W light, you need space and the sun to do that.

About the most you can get under one 1 000 W ligth is a pound of buds, but that is only with a high yielding strain, and the norm is less.

Does not matter how long you veg them for after a certain point, they will just end up too big remember you can only harvest the top 8 inches of so of buds, as the light does not penetrate sufficiently to anything lower than that, so no point in growing 8 foot plants indoors when you can only harvest the top 8 inches effectively.

I've got over 2 pounds of buds out of a 1k. I can piss on my plants and get a pound of light under a 1k. That's child's play and beginner grows

N

Nog

I've got over 2 pounds of buds out of a 1k. I can piss on my plants and get a pound of light under a 1k. That's child's play and beginner grows

As they say, pics or it didn't happen. And I don't think it happened.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

IMG 0195
I've got plenty of pics on here if you research some of my threads. You keep pulling a pound a light and be happy with that because that's obviously your capability.

This is 1 table in my room. 6k 32 plants. I'll pull at least 12 units off this one table probably closer to 15. If you sit back and watch it through till harvest you might actually learn something.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Wait a second, I pull 1 1/2 pounds consistently out of 6oo watts of hps.
And a lot of old school growers ran that way with a single 1,000 in a 12 x 12 bedroom with between 12 to 16 plants in 10 gallon buckets.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Wait a second, I pull 1 1/2 pounds consistently out of 6oo watts of hps.
And a lot of old school growers ran that way with a single 1,000 in a 12 x 12 bedroom with between 12 to 16 plants in 10 gallon buckets.

Definitely some good numbers. When I ran 600s when I first started growing I was getting about a unit a light with no co2 on high yielders. I was definitely a noob then and didn't have a clue about co2 ppm, nutrient ec, ph or vpd. I would just water based on feed recommendations on the back of the bottle with well water, but I was happy as hell. Knowing what I know know I think 1.5 is definitely obtainable and that's why I think 3 a light with de isn't unreasonable.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Just for another reference, here is 12 plants in a 4x4 under a single 600 watt hps. These hit the scale at 30 ounces. 25 day veg from rooted cuttings, 63 days of flower. So almost 2 lbs. from a 600.
DSCN0669

Hell 25 years ago I was pulling 4 ounce every 2 week from a 400 watt perpetual with a 250mh for a veg lighting.
Blue Mango Clones
DSCN0561

LI grows

LI grows

Just for another reference, here is 12 plants in a 4x4 under a single 600 watt hps. These hit the scale at 30 ounces. 25 day veg from rooted cuttings, 63 days of flower. So almost 2 lbs. from a 600.View attachment 664761
Hell 25 years ago I was pulling 4 ounce every 2 week from a 400 watt perpetual with a 250mh for a veg lighting.View attachment 664762 View attachment 664763

I think it works out to 1.4 grams per watt. About the same as "3 per light" . Not at all unbelievable. Especially when i see pics of a full canopy. Most growers would agree a full canopy is the key to efficient grows. Nutes. co2, strain make a small contribution compared to using lights efficiently.
The only place the DEs are blowing away the SEs is bulb life.

When i see an empty canopy with about 75% of the light hitting the floor i doubt claims of 3 pounds per light.

Last edited:
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

IME co2 can add 25% or better, costs me ~$6 a lb (gas only, doesn't include CEA equipment amortization). Fertilizer and amendments cost me about the same. And no you can't see pics, obviously my time is worth more than the effort to go snap some (until/unless you've hired my services).

Doing 3+ per light is just a matter of getting everything right, no secrets really, it's all here on this forum. No use splitting hairs til you grow some first. Hobby results and professional are two different games. If you're not doing at least 2-2.5 per already, I'll take a limb and say this thread probably won't help much, and wasn't posted to argue your uneducated points. OP can correct me if I'm wrong.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Some people just find it offensive that someone else can do things better than them. There ego gets in the way of them being accepting that there are better ways and better growers than themselves. There is a 1000 ways to grow......some people figured out how to do it better and more efficient over time. You can't become a professional reading books and watching youtube .

The Terps

The Terps

I'd say it's more to do with the grower adapting to their room not the secret recipe. Be able to dial your room the lights temp humidity. the medium the nutes the plant are all important yet not the only thing.
look at motor sport racing or bicycle racing. Each vehicle is the same essentially, yet when you break down all the little pieces you will see each machine has little tweaks for their operator to preform better. They constantly adapt and strive for the greatest consistent performance within their abilities.
So what I'm saying is if you step back take a good look at your room and how it performs find your weakest link and take steps to better that aspect. It's all about consistent performance. I see a lot of rooms that have temp and rh swings all the time typically the biggest problem.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

CO2 enrichment is over rated, but i only spend approximately $30 per pound on CO2 which is 3x more than i spend on full line of AN nutes per pound.
I like all the AN bottles it gives me more control.
Those where grown with just basic 2 part veg and flower formulas only other things added where cal-mag plus at 2 ml a gallon for the first 2 weeks and hydroplex at 2.5 ml weeks 3 and 4 of flower. Never saw an ec over 1.oec or 500 ppm from start to finish.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

I've been wanting to upgrade my lights for a while now, looking for some advice on the subject from u guys with de experience. I'm currently using two 600s, bare bulb hung horizontally. I really need keep the 360° coverage from the bare horizontal bulbs. Are there any options in a de version? Would have to be remote ballasts and gull-wing type hoods I can modify, or something along those lines. Any suggestions?

LI grows

LI grows

I've been wanting to upgrade my lights for a while now, looking for some advice on the subject from u guys with de experience. I'm currently using two 600s, bare bulb hung horizontally. I really need keep the 360° coverage from the bare horizontal bulbs. Are there any options in a de version? Would have to be remote ballasts and gull-wing type hoods I can modify, or something along those lines. Any suggestions?
Ive been looking into the same thing,,,This looks like a good deal...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1Z4TJG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34ZYRFBMEHIF5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011QJHJ9I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9DPA8GOEOIEY

with the splitter you can run 2 lights at 550 watt with one ballast.
I like Nanolux, but they dont seem to have 120v version
Gavita only has on-board ballasts.

I just spent 0 replacing 3-600watt SE bulbs, so ill probably wait a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom