300 gallon smart pot grow(Need advice)

• Thread starter Dizzworth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dizzworth

Dizzworth

Im currently running 24 300 gallon smart pots and these things are strait bushes! This is currently my first outdoor grow and i am wondering if i can get some tips for supporting these things in flower. The last thing i want is broken branches!! :angry

Also i have had many different opinions about covering these things in the later seasons. Im running sour D, dogshit, and bluedream so i know they will all be late finishers. Is it necessary to cover them when the rain comes? How cold can it get before i need to have them covered? All the support and advice i can get from experienced people would be greatly appreciated! thanks farmers

300 gallon smart pot growneed advice
300 gallon smart pot growneed advice 2
300 gallon smart pot growneed advice 3
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm sure others will have something to add here.

The cages will do it, so will Hortonova trellis. Cages/trellising/netting also prevent rippers from cleaning your clock. I wouldn't want to hand-tie all those girls beyond what's needed to stabilize them in a cage like what you've done. Some folks might have something like a hoop house or frame that plastic sheeting can be hung on, it's a terrible thing to have a storm come in at just the wrong time and ruin a bunch of crop. Have on hand Bt spray, as well as... oh man, the name is escaping me, for preventing mold.. Serenade?

Looks like you're off to a decent start. :)

L

l0g1c4l

hey dizzworth, your garden looks great! Like seamaiden said looks like you're on the right track, the cage is definite where its at. I would add a netting over top so they can stretch through while there is still time.

Dizzworth

Dizzworth

Thanks guys! And ya i will probably put netting over the tops to do some low stress training on these bad girls. Ill continue to post pics throughout the season.
trails

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

wow...those are def gonna be some high yielders! 300 gallons..never even heard of a pot that big. Coolio!:party0033:

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

oo..maybe some bamboo stakes would help or tomato cages will support it. A trellis would be a great idea, too.

C

crossouttheiis

looking good man... try four bamboo stakes and hortonova trellis it comes in large rolls.. that's what I do. Like seamaiden said run some hoop houses you can DIY for pretty cheap.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
oo..maybe some bamboo stakes would help or tomato cages will support it. A trellis would be a great idea, too.
If you can find bamboo stakes that are on the order of 2" thick and about 8'-10' long, yeah, sure. Otherwise, the quickie solution is a combination of good twine and t-bars, as long/tall as you can get.

squarepusher

squarepusher

quick question on the smart pots:

where did you find soil and additives to fill 24 x 300 = 7000 gallons of soil? I'm a hydro guy so this might be basic, do you buy truck loads of quality or what?
How do you condition the dirt/soil to get it ready for plants?

thanks!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it were me (and next year it will be, but I haven't got flat land enough for 24 sites) I'd go with a truckload of topsoil. It's what we did for the raised beds, and our supplier's soil f'ing kicks azz! $300 for a 10cu yard load, delivered. All very well-amended, of course, starting with Gardener & Bloom Harvest Supreme.

Then I include things like kelp meal, blood and bone meal, greensand, dolomitic lime, guanos, alfalfa sweepings, can't remember what else... Oh yeah, a few bags of worm castings go in, too. Um... Dr. Earth Organic 4 for my girls, Organic 5 for hubby's veggie garden. Organic 4 for my rhodies, Camellia, dogwood, that stuff. What else..? Play sand, the silicate type. Threw in some diatomaceous earth for pool filters, but just a few small handfuls. Now that I've sourced Azomite I'll be adding that when I recondition after harvest this year.

Jeez! I can't believe I forgot that I added a scoop-load (guessing at about 2'x2'x3' volume) of compost from the local garden center. It still had some woody bits, but it was better volume for price compared to the Harvest Supreme.

F

Frank_Castle

your hose set up; is that continual drip or are you manually turning it on and off?

Blaze

Blaze

Indeed they are looking good. Those cage you are putting up should do the trick for supporting the plants, no problem. You don't NEED to cover your plants for the rain, but if you can, I highly recommend that you do it. Rain knocks off a lot of trichromes - your buds will come out frostier and look better if you can protect them.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
some really clever information on this thread, anymore pics :)

Dizzworth

Dizzworth

Frank_Castle your hose set up; is that continual drip or are you manually turning it on and off?

no its not continual drip i have a 200 gallons res that i have to fill! My water is too high of a ph to just run through the system so i have to down the ph. 200 gallon is nice to mix nutrients though. :)

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Im currently running 24 300 gallon smart pots and these things are strait bushes! This is currently my first outdoor grow and i am wondering if i can get some tips for supporting these things in flower. The last thing i want is broken branches!! :angry

Also i have had many different opinions about covering these things in the later seasons. Im running sour D, dogshit, and bluedream so i know they will all be late finishers. Is it necessary to cover them when the rain comes? How cold can it get before i need to have them covered? All the support and advice i can get from experienced people would be greatly appreciated! thanks farmers

your on the right track used those before and did what you did, with the wire cage round the pot, but use 4 8' tpost around the cage and built from there if they get to 10 foot add another ring of wire cage

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
quick question on the smart pots:

where did you find soil and additives to fill 24 x 300 = 7000 gallons of soil? I'm a hydro guy so this might be basic, do you buy truck loads of quality or what?
How do you condition the dirt/soil to get it ready for plants?

thanks!

easyest way is to fill them with ten bales of promix

Latest posts

Top Bottom