3W vs 80W LED

• Thread starter BrandonBlack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

I have zero experience with LED but 80w sounds better than 3w. measuring in kw's would be even better:D

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

I guess? I can trow decimals into any number. What would be really helpful, would be to know how many micromoles for PAR.

tags420

tags420

I guess? I can trow decimals into any number. What would be really helpful, would be to know how many micromoles for PAR.
Doesn't matter to me...I just want the most par output. The more per watt the better, I don't care how you do it. Never seen 80 chips till your gl. What's the science behind those.

mrfixit

mrfixit

Epistar has up to 200w in small arrays and in different color temps - here is an Ebay seller as an example:

grower2

grower2

Do you mean to say a single 80w diode vs a single 3w diode?

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Doesn't matter to me...I just want the most par output. The more per watt the better, I don't care how you do it. Never seen 80 chips till your gl. What's the science behind those.
By "science behind those", what information are you asking for? Can you please be a little more specific?

tags420

tags420

By "science behind those", what information are you asking for? Can you please be a little more specific?

Okay...How many watts is each chip, how many total chip and watts, are you driving them at full power, how many total watts(from the wall), how many drivers? Are the designed by you or purchased and assembled? What spectrums are you using...does 80w make it easier or harder for you to dial in spectrum cause of less chip options to change. If each chip is 80w, why did you choose the 80 instead of 1,3,5w? Do you use any type of lenses/magnifiers(I now you use a reflector). What is the par out out at a 12, 24, 36"...and don't give me the "that is a bad way to show it" shit...I want peak par at 3 heights? And price while you are at it.

You should be ready to spurt out all the info. It was general so that you could say everything you know about them. And since you "don't work for them"...haha, you shouldn't have to try an hide things like they are huge company secrets...tell me everything.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Do you mean to say a single 80w diode vs a single 3w diode?
Yes, one 80w vs one 3w. Which it is pretty obvious that one would be greater and which is greater in that sense. What I am ultimately saying is that the technology that is put into the 80w is better than the 3w LEDs that are on the market. You could put thirty 3w LEDs up against one 80w, it wouldn't matter. I believe that the 3w are old new and purely udated garbage. Take thirty 3w LEDs and now you have a pile of garbage.

The 80w chips that are in light beam's gl, have several dies that are dialed in and placed in a specific pattern to achieve a spectrum that is well-balanced for all photosynthetically sensitive regions. Customly made for growing and growing only. The 3w chips are a general LED that are used for many different applications.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Okay...How many watts is each chip, how many total chip and watts, are you driving them at full power, how many total watts(from the wall), how many drivers? Are the designed by you or purchased and assembled? What spectrums are you using...does 80w make it easier or harder for you to dial in spectrum cause of less chip options to change. If each chip is 80w, why did you choose the 80 instead of 1,3,5w? Do you use any type of lenses/magnifiers(I now you use a reflector). What is the par out out at a 12, 24, 36"...and don't give me the "that is a bad way to show it" shit...I want peak par at 3 heights? And price while you are at it.

You should be ready to spurt out all the info. It was general so that you could say everything you know about them. And since you "don't work for them"...haha, you shouldn't have to try an hide things like they are huge company secrets...tell me everything.

Each chip runs at 82.5w. There are eight chips in the gl700, four in the gl350 and 1 in the gl90. They are driving at the max power for the greatest outcome and life expectancy. Light Beam designs and assembles the entire unite. We do not have the machines to create the diodes themselves and adhere them onto the chips. Another company in America does that for us, because they have the equipment. I can not release our exact spectrums. Its easier to dial in the spectrum, because it is completely custom vs specific spectrums picked out of a catolog.
An optical grade dome is fused on top of each high powered LED array, which couples more photons out into the far field where they are intercepted by the reflector and directed downward. It is a bad way to show it if you know anythign about how light is spread and how plants take it in. We can not get a quality read out at 12" or 24" because our entire unit is larger than 12"x12" and longer than 24". At 24" from the enclosure and 36" from the emittor the par read out is 1290 micromoles per meter squared second. That is for a 4'x5' grow space.

I can not spurt out all the info. If I did that, we wouldn't be the only company with the best light, now would we? I DO WORK FOR THEM. I never said I didn't. I DO NOT GET PAID TO GROW FOR THEM. I am an engineer that manages a seperate facility that manufactures custom LED light panels. I did assemble all but one of the new grow lights. I did not work on the design of the light. That was before my time at the company.

grower2

grower2

So you have 80w diodes running over 100% efficiency at 82.5w?

Everything I have learned about LEDS says that the best lifespan is attained from running them below 100% output and running them cool. Seems to me an 80w LED running over peak output would get hot. How do you keep them cool?

Also, there is no way I would buy an LED panel, for what I'm sure is over a grand, without knowing the spectral output of the LED used. No way you can be in business and not give out that information for grow lights.

It is a bad way to show it if you know anythign about how light is spread and how plants take it in. We can not get a quality read out at 12" or 24" because our entire unit is larger than 12"x12" and longer than 24". At 24" from the enclosure and 36" from the emittor the par read out is 1290 micromoles per meter squared second.

Well, bad way to show or not, I would also be interested to know the par reading at 12", 24", and 36", the reading being measured from the bottom of the device, since you obviously wont have plants growing up into the reflector area blocking all the light from you target grow area.

Also, how about this info from Hydro Grow LED,

There is a common misconception with single-chip LEDs that "Bigger is better", however this is precisely the opposite of the truth. As with all things electrical, the more current you drive through an object the hotter it will become, and with LEDs the #1 cause of failure and premature degradation is heat. While LED manufacturers around the world are working to improve the thermal handling of 5W LEDs, they are presently incapable of matching the efficiency of 3W models.

LEDManufactures.png

Twice a year Hydro Grow executives purchase the best 3W and 5W LEDs from leading LED manufacturers to test and document the achievements made by these companies. Of the companies on the market selling LED Grow Lights built with 5W LEDs, many of the more expensive models are using Osram LEDs. On the most recent test in February 2012, 4 different Osram LEDs were compared against another on the same test equipment used for all Hydro Grow testing. All LEDs were of the highest BIN and the highest quality offered by Osram; however the 3W models outperformed their 5W counterparts by a significant margin.
The 3W LEDs averaged 14% more light output with 33% less power consumed compared to the 5W models from the same company. While these results do not speak for all 3W and 5W comparisons, Hydro Grow has found time after time that the most efficient 5W LED can be matched in output by a competing 3W at 33% less power consumption. Companies selling LED Grow Lights with 5W LEDs are preying on the uneducated consumer who doesn't realize that more power consumed doesn't equate to more light output with 5W LED Grow Lights. It is for this reason Hydro Grow uses 3W LEDs in all X-PRO LED Grow Lights to ensure the highest output with the least power consumed.

Also, what is the price of each model, and why do you come across exactly like a company sales rep if you have nothing to gain?

I'm interested in some of what you claim but you are coming across as a snake oil salesman. Back up what you say with facts, and tech specs please.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

80w is not an actual, its a rounded number. We say 90 is the max and 82.5 is average or optimal.

I don't know how else to break this down for you. Here it goes... Our light is larger than 12"12" and longer than 24" therefore when I take measurements, they never come out the same from heights. I could give you 10000000000000000000000000 different read outs or an average. I would like to get paid to do so. I don't have time to release bull shit data. If you have the money to pay me to do so, I'd be more than happy.

What do you know about heat sinks and dissipation? Have you heard of internal fans? How about premium silver polysynthetic thermal compound? Yes, if you did nothing to control the heat, a larger watt LED could burn out quicker.

Hydro Grow talks about testing 3w vs 3w, 5w vs 5w and 3w vs 5w in the article you posted.

We have used those LEDs and tested them. I personally would never use them in a grow light. they are not made for a grow light.

As of now, the GL700 is $2500, GL350 $1800 and GL90 $450. I don't know why I come across as a company sales rep. I don't even know what that means or entitles. I do this because I like to and I am tired of people not knowing what they are purchasing, just purely being bad consumers. It makes me feel good to know that I can teach people something. To be completely honest, I could care less if I come off as a sales person. I wish I could be a sales person for our light, because its a great product that I I love and believe in.

tags420

tags420

That's most of what I wanted. Performance stuff and output which shouldn't be a secret. Spectrum shouldn't be secret...show a graph at least.
I was just getting the spark going with the work for comment. I thought my first question was teed up for you to give the info you just gave. No reason to beat around the bush, just say what you got...
-we have this( gl line...)
-it does this (1290 @ 36" and supposed to cover "X")
-by/with ( 8 90w diodes with a lens and reflector and a ideal grow spectrum)
-cost this (2500)
No doubt you're not in marketing

HG has legit numbers but don't give them your money...you will have to figure it out and that is all I can say.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Thanks for the help. I have been trying to figure out what info people want.
Spectral Output

tags420

tags420

See that wasn't hard and you don't have to say exactly.
To me that looks like peaks at 425,460,630, and 670...about. Doesn't seem any different than the simplest of companies. There is a small rise in ir(745) is that on purpose or just the reading?

RIPP

RIPP

High

I got a question if you don't mind. What is the beam angle of those 80W LED?

Are you using some sort of water cooling system to cool down the chipset?

10x:)

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Not sure, didn't design the light. I would imigine that it is just a reading, but cannot say for sure. You say it doesn't seem any different from the simplest of companies. Can you explain this? I can not find a company, even the top LED companies that can get as close as the GL700.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

High

I got a question if you don't mind. What is the beam angle of those 80W LED?

Are you using some sort of water cooling system to cool down the chipset?

10x:)
The FULL angle before the reflector is 120 degrees and 53 degrees after.
We have made a watercooled light in the past. I loved it. I had the chance to grow with it.

The thermal management system is specifically matched to the heat output of the LED arrays
and incorporates feedback monitoring which protects the lights from over heating even in the
event of a total cooling system failure. Our thermal management system ensures that the LED arrays stay cool which increases light output, efficiency, and maintains the useful lifetime of
the LEDs.

RIPP

RIPP

box_1-jpg.280593

This is my 300W custom made /more red chips/ led panel. 3W x 100 Epistar.

Have you got pictures to show us the 80W chip.

All the best

Top Bottom