4 600s or 3 1000s

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kaiser Puff

I like 4 levels with 2 600w lights but I don't know if I can afford them, I think I'm going to start with 3 levels and 1 1k since I have that on hand, 45 plants should do fine for the first run and I can add levels and change light config easy. I don't know if you mentioned this earlier in the thread but you only glue the PVC connectors into the bottom of the wyes and press fit the other half right? I think I'll borrow a buddies miter saw for the cutting :)

B

Bobby Smith

Correctamundo - just glue the bottom part in so it won't leak, the other parts can be "press fit".

K

Kaiser Puff

How are things going for ya Bob? I've been considering the options on the colli and I think I want to take the plunge and go HP also. How did you connect your misters to the JG fittings? I'm trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper to go with 14 of the tees from here

plus 28 hose clamps ($1.35 per tee, $2-3 per hose clamp) or JG fittings. I wish they made a JG tee with 1/8" FPT...

N

Noris559

hey whats up bob, hows the system working out for you?.Im the guy that was on vertical green and did the 15 site vertical. but anyways im at week 5 flowering and the plants look awesome. your gonna love the way it grows... g/l and keep us updated.

B

Bobby Smith

Going okay; veg is going slower than I'd hoped because of working some kinks out, but it's gonna all work out in the end (I hope) :)

Yeah, if JG made a tee with a 1/8" FPT I could've saved a few hundred bucks :)

I went mister--->>>1/8"FPT fitting (like $5/piece)--->>>>tubing---->>>>>TEE.

That 1/2" TEE from them is designed for PVC, and using 1/2" PVC in your system is gonna cause MASSIVE run on after your timer stops; the 1/4" OD tubing I use has a super small diameter which helps to minimize run on and help keep the line pressurized.

That'd be real difficult with 1/2" PVC.

Also, those hose clamps won't do anything with pressures >100PSI.........it'll be Leak City.

K

Kaiser Puff

Going okay; veg is going slower than I'd hoped because of working some kinks out, but it's gonna all work out in the end (I hope) :)

Yeah, if JG made a tee with a 1/8" FPT I could've saved a few hundred bucks :)

I went mister--->>>1/8"FPT fitting (like $5/piece)--->>>>tubing---->>>>>TEE.

That 1/2" TEE from them is designed for PVC, and using 1/2" PVC in your system is gonna cause MASSIVE run on after your timer stops; the 1/4" OD tubing I use has a super small diameter which helps to minimize run on and help keep the line pressurized.

That'd be real difficult with 1/2" PVC.

Also, those hose clamps won't do anything with pressures >100PSI.........it'll be Leak City.

I agree hose and clamps are not ideal at pressure. I found a place that has the fittings for a reasonable price 10+ so JG Tee + Female adapter under $5 a set, sweet.

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-500-john-guest-pp-range-white-polypropylene-fittings.aspx

On the misters I've read conflicting info. I read someone saying a rep from the manufacturer stated these nozzles are the same regardless of color yet dripworksusa's red nozzle is supposed to be anti drip.

I don't mind paying a dollar more a nozzle if it is anti drip just wondering if it's not misinformation.

K

Kaiser Puff

Hey Bob did you ever find a sprinkler that worked well for your LP design before you went to HP?

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Sup Bob! Did you have any luck popping those test beans? I couldn't get mine to pop... :itwasntme

B

Bobby Smith

Kaiser, I used .75GPM sprinklers from Lowes - they seemed to work okay (when I tested), but never had plants in there to test them - they're in my "12.7.10" video on Youtube under "sogbobsmith" (user name).

Shady, I had some issues - got ten beans, five of each strain - one of them were totally crushed in shipping, which sucked because those were the ones that I was most stoked on (will post pics when I do the journal, they were fucking destroyed like someone ran them through a grinder).

The other five were fine, and four popped and are all a few inches tall at this point.

I

Indefinately

Hey bob,

I only check in here to see if you have plants in there yet.....
Not yet I see......
I will check in again soon.

Im sure you going to have it running pretty soon.
Those plants are going to have 5 star accommodation in your creation.

Happy growing.

Indefinately............

B

Bobby Smith

Indefinately, there's plants in there and have been for a little bit, now - working out some kinks (dead spots) for the first week or two (lost some plants which have been replaced) and have a new puppy that's been taking up a lot of my time, but I'll see if I can't get some pics up in the next few days before I put the screen in and start training the plants into it.

Thumpnasty, you're probably trying to be funny, but I actually might put in 4 1Ks on a flip-flop sooner rather than later.

T

thumpnasty

not trying to be funny, if you have room for 4 hoods , make um g's.

B

Bobby Smith

not trying to be funny, if you have room for 4 hoods , make um g's.

I don't use hoods (avatar), and space isn't the issue, but being in a non-med state and running that many watts is.

If I was in a legal state I'd run 6 or 8K vertically hung bulbs with a 3 or 4 ton mini-split AC and say fuck the world...........but my state isn't there yet.

B

Bobby Smith

Update

First and foremost while it's on my mind, the weatherstripping to hold up the 3.75" netpots is starting to smell mildew-y..............hopefully that won't be an issue, but I'm open to ideas for something else to use to hold them in 4" openings that won't get funky when wet - hopefully when I decrease the misting time and frequencies that the smell will dissipate somewhat.

Digi ballasts also exploded a 600HPS (I think that was my fault though, as there was a "spark" when I plugged it in), and I've noticed that one of the dual arcs doesn't always light the first time - thinking of getting some Digilux, but might just try to make it work with the extra bulbs I have. Haven't replaced any bulbs, but will do that today or tomorrow - been really busy with this fucking terror of a puppy I bought for Ms. Smith for Valentine's Day.

EDIT: Even though plants dig on PAR and the visible light we see is not that important to them, the difference in brightness between an HPS and a DA is pretty astounding - if I had enough, I'd replace to all HPS when I change out the bulbs, but I only have two extra (one exploded), so there will be one DA left in the stack for flowering.

Evidently I sealed the room up SO well that there's nowhere for the humidity in the garage to go, so there's a bit of an issue with humidity in the outer garage, which is making it moist close to the garage door (can actually see some water stains on the plywood on the ceiling, but nothing too crazy - hoping that warmer temperatures will help mitigate this problem, and less snow - we've gotten a shitload this year).

Had some issues and kinks to work out with the system at first - really, really would've been totally avoided if I would've used aero clones (roots reach into the column) and not clones rooted in pucks - fucking EZ Clone - had a few dry out and die on me (have been replaced), but it also means that the plants in the 4" wyes (closest to the misters) are much larger than the others because they've been growing since day 1, as opposed to some which just started growing a few days ago.

Current misting times are ~6 seconds every 75 seconds to make sure that all plants are getting sufficient moisture, and that means that the larger plants are getting overwatered (in HP terms) and their roots look more like LP aero roots - as soon as all plants have a sufficient root system, gonna cut that back to 2 or 3 seconds every 2 or 3 minutes.

Um, that's about all that comes to mind - looking at the pics, all the new growth is healthy, so any brown leaves are from their "clone" days before they started rooting in the system.

All in all not too displeased - obviously there are gonna be issues when trying something like this, but I feel like I've got everything under control (for the most part).

First three pics are from when they first went in about two weeks ago (maybe a couple days more, not really sure - I'm not the journal type :worried).

22311 009
22311 010
22311 011
22311 022
22311 023
22311 024
22311 025
22311 026
22311 027
22311 028
22311 029
22311 030
22311 031
22311 032
B

Bobby Smith

Flip them yet?
:)

Negative; some are clearly large enough that they could be, but need to give them another week or two for all the smaller ones to catch up - also gonna put a screen in there and do a VSCROG, so that'll take a little bit of vegging to get that going as well.

Probably gonna top the larger ones in the next couple of days and then get a screen in there - have been delaying it because of plants drying out and dying, but that problem seems to be done so I need to get that screen in there (but after I switch out the lights - that's gonna be a pain in the arse).

G

gudkarma

i ...love it.

you better get a vent (passive) in the garage area... the moisture IS gonna make mold.

Top Bottom