4 Ft Led Hot5 @ 30w

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Good news. The double tote sandwich idea with blue ice packs in between is still keeping the water cool

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Yesterday, I moved the sat to the Transcend Lighting D 200 (230w) tent. I also double bucketed her, placing frozen blue ice packs in between; still cool this morning
wink.gif

2 days ago I gave her and the 4 in my 2 Mini Me F & Ds a primary leaf haircut. Today I did the same to the plants on the far left under the TL hot5s. Pic 1/2 are before an after

Most likely, the 2 tall plants are males. I already have tons of seeds from this cross so I may not grab some pollen

Amazing to see how quickly the secondary branching has grown already

IMG 3363
IMG 3364
IMG 3365
IMG 3366
keiksweat

keiksweat

Wow,
Yesterday, I moved the sat to the Transcend Lighting D 200 (230w) tent. I also double bucketed her, placing frozen blue ice packs in between; still cool this morning
wink.gif

2 days ago I gave her and the 4 in my 2 Mini Me F & Ds a primary leaf haircut. Today I did the same to the plants on the far left under the TL hot5s. Pic 1/2 are before an after

Most likely, the 2 tall plants are males. I already have tons of seeds from this cross so I may not grab some pollen

Amazing to see how quickly the secondary branching has grown already
Those clones are really stretching for the light bro.id move the light closer,or put more lights in there,or y'all end up with a 4"cutting.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The only clones are in the front left corner. Once they root they will be moved. All the rest are seeded plants that I just trimmed away the primary leafs, so they look clonish at this moment, but will fill out soon. Anyway, the tallest (2nd pic) are likely males

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Oddly, of the 2 plants in my Mini Me F & D (under the TL tubes), the one on the right has yet to shoot longer branches. Maybe I cut one too many primary leafs at the top. Hopefully, it takes off soon.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The sat is fattening up now and the defoled plant that did not respond as the others did is finally extending her side branches

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

would love to see a comparison thread with a 315 cmh

I think cmh would blow these lights out of the water

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

would love to see a comparison thread with a 315 cmh

I think cmh would blow these lights out of the water

And how could it? If for no other reason than half the cmh light is being reflected, whereas 100% of LED panels are directed at the canopy, it simply cannot.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

And how could it? If for no other reason than half the cmh light is being reflected, whereas 100% of LED panels are directed at the canopy, it simply cannot.

That's what's confusing...even with half my light reflected it still seems to beat out every LED i've used.

Could you use that LED solo in a 4x8 tent? Because the 315 definitely throws enough light to do that.
IMG 0776

What about canopy consistency? Is there going to be enough scattered/reflected light to penetrate into the canopy? Or is all the light coming in at a vertical angle? Do the lights have to be so low that I'm sacrificing circulation space over the canopy or can I ride them high like 315s? I could def slam these lights down more and get a bigger yield, but I don't like sacrificing the quality. Even at 2-3 ft off the canopy they still hit well over a gpw.

IMG 0603

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

First, Kudos on the fine garden!

Most leds are designed to provide consistent umoles across the entire canopy= same size plants at the perimeter, unless the grower does not have sufficient light for the tent size.

As to penetration, Amare Technologies CoB series come with hi-quality glass optical lenses, which are removable

Here's a couple pics from my last grow using the SE 230 + lenses, which has been updated to 250. I have one coming in 2 weeks. This sat dom plant would have outgrown my tent height, so I snapped her. The first pic is all the fat buds the snapped branch developed

The bud next to the cell phone was > 30" below the light and bumped up against the 33 x33 tent wall, which had one plant

IMG 3172
IMG 3176
IMG 3148
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The plants in the multi-tote are filling in and growing up. Where they looked like males (and may well be), they are developing side branches at each node

The plant under the hot5 that seemed to no want to grow side branching is doing much better:ninja:

Took a semi-top shot of the sat with buds setting up now

The 2 plants under the SE 220 are now showing a few pistils :cool:

IMG 3374
IMG 3377
IMG 3378
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Solidarity and anyone who thinks a 315 cmh will beat a hi-tensity CoB...

You can FF to ~ 3:30 or just watch the whole thing
and see a umole chart comparison v a Sunsystem 315 LED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQdTHO-YbX4

I've made my point on this forum multiple times...until you can buy a UL listed LED for $350, it doesn't make sense FINANCIALLY to switch from 315 in a commercial setting (unless you actually plan on sticking with your LEDs for 10 years), even after factoring in bulb changes and a reduced heat load.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I've made my point on this forum multiple times...until you can buy a UL listed LED for $350, it doesn't make sense FINANCIALLY to switch from 315 in a commercial setting (unless you actually plan on sticking with your LEDs for 10 years), even after factoring in bulb changes and a reduced heat load.

Your false premise/point has been refuted many times before (by others), with actual cost analysis tables.

Any difference in cost between Hi-Intensity leds and HID lamps typically pay off with harvested bud (due to much higher umoles), electric savings, no need for exhaust fans, etc within 2 grows, let alone the high cost of bulb, hood and ballast replacements

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Your false premise/point has been refuted many times before (by others), with actual cost analysis tables.

Any difference in cost between Hi-Intensity leds and HID lamps typically pay off with harvested bud (due to much higher umoles), electric savings, no need for exhaust fans, etc within 2 grows, let alone the high cost of bulb, hood and ballast replacements

I'll stick to the 315s and not pay for a single replacement until my warranty expires in 5 years, at which point I'll buy some LEDs.

And I will always put exhaust fans, and cooling, into my grows, partly because 1/3 my heat load is in dehumidifiers and c02 generators, but mostly because I really don't like to rot out buildings.

I've had some great discussions on here, had some even better ones face to face with LED growers, manufacturers, and grow-specific building teams and engineers. It goes way beyond the technical data. Basically what needs to happen, is LEDs need to drop in price like pounds drops in price. Then it's 100% no-brainer, and this is not too far off - I could see it happening in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Basically what I'm saying is, why should I buy LEDs now when in 5 years when I'm ready to upgrade there will be far superior options?
Free unlimited access to weekly Bibled cult meetings, a free badge, hat with logo and a high horse :D

It's often hard for led users to have unbiased discussions so I like to argue both sides with myself. I would not replace a large cmh or DE setup, but if I were to start from scratch or grow with for example a single 400watt it would be an easy choice for me. The main thing white cobs have to offer is that you can run many of them soft (low amp) and reach very high lumen per watt output. That costs a lot in large setups, but for smaller/ tent growers that doesn't costs thousands.

It goes way beyond the technical data.
Exactly, way beyond the technical data of a light source and more about the target, the plants.

Oh and hi Pet... I see you're still posting in annoying blue... and your plants still look like I remember them. How did you get anyone to send you more leds :bored:

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Basically what I'm saying is, why should I buy LEDs now when in 5 years when I'm ready to upgrade there will be far superior options?

Simple.

Considering the difference in cost is zero after ~ 2nd grow, every grow beyond that is money in the bank.

In ~ 5 years time, that money pays for a new panel.

And as a bonus, you get a vastly superior light that is flexible, if it has a separate switch for veg and flower. Many do, some don't, but Amare does with their unique CoB Hybrid design

hth

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

OK, April 23 was first time I noticed a few pistils on the sat, so ~ another month to harvest

Remember my concern back on May 14 about one of the defoled plants not responding...

Baby won't you look at her now, she's on the far right

Also the plants in the multi - tote (far left) are outgrowing it

I did the flippety-flop, moving the Sat to the Amare tent and the 2 plants to the TL D200

Yesterday, I started adding 1/4 tsp of humic acid to each rez. This turns the rez dark brown and will stain the roots, but it should help the root system. Also plan to get some Yucca

IMG 3382
IMG 3383
IMG 3384
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Due to overcrowding along the wall, yesterday I added an additional bubble tote under the HOT5s.

I may have lost my clones due to an overnight mishap

IMG 3389

Latest posts

Top Bottom