45% humidity Curing is that bad?

• Thread starter Philz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Observationist

Observationist

thanks for your reply,
I'm using those small digital black ones I see everyone using. I bought a dozen and they all reading the same or within a degree so. I don't think any are bad. I filled 4 half gallon mason jars with trimmed bud.(2 plants) I put a 62% Boveda pack in each with a hydrometer/temp 7 days now. I burp a couple times a day. Humidity has stayed at about 43%. I seen a lot of posts about high humidity but hardly nothing on low.
thanks again
Afaik, burping is for letting out excess humidity, no need if at 43%

Unless I I have this wrong

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Can I leave them in the Jars? Also I thought you get mold when your humidity is high. Mine barley got above 50% when drying and never got higher then 45% in the Jars (only a week long in Jars) Also humidity is no issue in Northern California if thats a problem. Its dry as hell. Thats why we have all these fires out here. Also note: these were outside plants. I don't have control over the environment while they were growing but I could have some in the drying by adding a humidifier and lowering my A/C temp if you think that would have helped.

I have one more plant. I'm not sure what it is but its not an auto flower and just starting to flower. I'll try something different on that when I harvest if you suggest.
Dry as hell, yes... but smokable.

You get molds with a low VPD (which is usually caused by high humidity).

Stuff people do trying to readd moisture to jars creates micro-climates in the jars that can have very low VPD. This is where molds start growing.

mancorn

mancorn

Yeah.. and the mold spore on the bread is another great way to grow some top shelf molds! :-D
Yeah because no one’s every used bread for rehydration 🙄

https://honestinvalid.com/how-to-rehydrate-weed/

P

Philz

Dry as hell, yes... but smokable.

You get molds with a low VPD (which is usually caused by high humidity).

Stuff people do trying to readd moisture to jars creates micro-climates in the jars that can have very low VPD. This is where molds start growing.
Ok cool. I don't have a high humidity issue for sure so not concerned about mold. I was just inquiring about low humidity, thats what this post started as I was concerned if low is causing any bad issues. Its definitely smokable. Thanks

freezeland2

freezeland2

OP you already know it’s smokeable. Just keep a lid on the jar and forget all the sandwich pieces in the jar, lol. Learn from this to slow your dry down a little next time. Enjoy your smoke now.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

How bout the lettuce? It went up to 50%
When my buds get overly dry... I will readd moisture by dipping the tip of the joint I rolled up in water, and when I spark it up... it steams the broken up buds... and makes it burn slower.

P

Philz

OP you already know it’s smokeable. Just keep a lid on the jar and forget all the sandwich pieces in the jar, lol. Learn from this to slow your dry down a little next time. Enjoy your smoke now.
how do you slow it down? 10 days in a card board box, Supply and exhaust air 4" computer type cooling fans, 50% RH at an average temp of 77 degrees. What would I change?

freezeland2

freezeland2

how do you slow it down? 10 days in a card board box, Supply and exhaust air 4" computer type cooling fans, 50% RH at an average temp of 77 degrees. What would I change?
Put it in paper bags is one way. Lowering temp would be another.

mancorn

mancorn

If you can control your temp, it would be better to be below 70.

Madbud

Madbud

Jeezus how many wrong turns can a thread take?! What about taco chips, they never get mold, or a twinkie to rehydrate?
Look Philz, its simple, weigh a couple buds. When they stop losing weight its ready to jar. Sadly your buds will not “cure” below 55%, smokable but dry-harsh.
So get a scale and a big slurpee cup to weigh some buds, like these

Or buy some Twinkies
Edit: thers one guy that takes a slug of vodka then breathes into his jars😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
P

Philz

Jeezus how many wrong turns can a thread take?! What about taco chips, they never get mold, or a twinkie to rehydrate?
Look Philz, its simple, weigh a couple buds. When they stop losing weight its ready to jar. Sadly your buds will not “cure” below 55%, smokable but dry-harsh.
So get a scale and a big slurpee cup to weigh some buds, like theseView attachment 1273611View attachment 1273612
Or buy some Twinkies
Edit: thers one guy that takes a slug of vodka then breathes into his jars😂🤦🏻‍♂️
Just smoked some more. Not really harsh. A few tokes really had a nice flower taste. I used my jewelry glasses when inspecting the bud I would cut to smoke and they were loaded with trichomes. Most milky but some amber or turn amber. I got high as fuck. This is only about 20 days from harvest. Not bragging as its the first time grow for me but I did some research and followed some info....some from here. Check out my pics. When I trimmed my scissors locked up they got so sticky....same with my fingers. Maybe my #'s aren't the best but my weed is...no BS.

I have one more plant that's not an auto flower but starting to bud nicely. I'll consider the info I got here for drying and curing but might stick mostly with what I did this time. It worked. No smell either. Had it nicely exhausted.
Thanks

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

No it’s not. The second you touch it after eating your PB&J it’s got the same spores. I grow outdoors and there’s spores EVERYWHERE.
There are millions of little pockets in bread that each form micro-climates... perfect for growing molds.

Feel free to put bread into your curing containers.

For everyone else, IGNORE THIS GUYS BAD ADVICE.

mancorn

mancorn

There are millions of little pockets in bread that each form micro-climates... perfect for growing molds.

Feel free to put bread into your curing containers.

For everyone else, IGNORE THIS GUYS BAD ADVICE
Remind us again about your grow.

EE35DC38 0886 4B51 BEF8 0952A86D9E3F

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Remind us again about your grow.

View attachment 1274483
Notice how I don't give people much advice about mixing nutrients... and only 1 plant nutrient locked... due to some obscure factors that took time to deduce and treat.

Holy fuck guy... can you not admit the bread idea is dumb as fuck yet?!?!

My reasons for saying this aren't impeached by your lame DOX.

mancorn

mancorn

Notice how I don't give people much advice about mixing nutrients... and only 1 plant nutrient locked... due to some obscure factors that took time to deduce and treat.

Holy fuck guy... can you not admit the bread idea is dumb as fuck yet?!?!

My reasons for saying this aren't impeached by your lame DOX.
Because you don’t know what you’re talking about, but for some reason felt the need to come back several days later to post crap. Bread isn’t the source of the molds or bacteria. Not saying that a new spore couldn’t be introduced by bread (or anything for that matter) but there are mold spores everywhere (including all over your body). My buds will have been outside for 3+ months before curing, so the idea that adding a piece of bread is somehow going to contaminate an otherwise sterile bud is ridiculous. There’s molds in the soil, in the air, on me, the birds, etc., etc.

Molds grow because of moisture content. (Actually even that is a misnomer as it’s really water actively, not moisture % that allow molds to reproduce.) Suffice to say that if the moisture levels get too high (and you have a bunch of unbound water), you’ll have a good environment for mold growth. Water activity controls mold and microbial growth. That’s the scientific fact. The OP’s 1/2oz of weed isn’t going to be ruined by absorbing a little moisture from bread. Personally I don’t need to rehydrate my weed because I don’t over dry it in the first place. But shit happens. If you feel the need to call me out and spout shit at least have a rudimentary understanding what you’re talking about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom