6 2 Light Cycle

• Thread starter Ander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

@Q Egg If you can't follow your own statements into the response, I'm not inclined to do it for you. You made a number of assertions about how we're all doing it wrong. I await evidence.

I will gently observe that you have now made exactly your second post on the site. They both basically convey that you think you know more than any of us. While that is certainly possible, I am skeptical.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Whats everyones thoughts on 6 2 light cyles for veg or maybe goin 6 2 for early veg then 18 6 late veg ...
I would think it would depend on a couple of factors. Since there are basically two types of plants to consider, and two species (we will leave ruderalis hybrids/autos out of the conversation), you need to figure what your combo prefers. For both Sativa and Indica, there are two sub groups that react differently to the light schedule. Both species vary depending on their latitudes, since a plant grown at more northerly (or southerly) latitudes will have a much greater swing in day/night ratio. Plants in the far north might see 20 hours or more of sun during June, but a month and a half later it is down to 14. Plants nearer the equator see closer to 12/12 year round. The 6/2 light/dark cycle might work well at preventing flowering, it's hard to say if it is beneficial to the plant's growth, since they seem to do most of their growth during the dark. By breaking up the longer dark period, it might not get the same growth due to the lag time it takes a plant to go from light to dark mode, and all of the metabolism changes that accompany it. I also could be talkin out of my arse since I've never tried it...but my impetus is to keep things as close to imitating real life conditions as possible. While it might be possible to improve upon what nature provides, a lot of growers prefer keeping in basic and natural.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

@OldManRiver

https://www.maximumyield.com/try-this-highly-recommended-cannabis-lighting-schedule/2/4927

What would suffice as evidence? If you just need to be right, I concede. Never once did I post that "...we're all doing it wrong..." Google m8.

Evidence would be some sort of dispassionate observer conducting some sort of controlled experiment. Maximum Yield is a consumer oriented magazine. Personally, I have found it to be fluffy and oriented to beginners. Your cited article has no suggestion of any experimentation, controlled or otherwise. The author claims that he has "has been an indoor gardening hobbyist for more than 10 years." No academical credentials, no experimentation. Not even long term high yield growing experience. That's special. Suffice it to say, I've been growing probably longer than he or you have been alive. That doesn't make me expert, or right, just experienced in hearing newbie speculative bullshit.

Plant metabolism is pretty well understood, and your claims contradict the peer reviewed work of bunches of people who have PHD's in the field and get paid to do this shit. They also contradict common sense. You have made a controversial, surprising claim, which is buttressed with no evidence, from a less than authoritative source, several components of which are contrary to observation and currently accepted plant science. So I'm skeptical.

Frankly, I doubt you've even tried what you suggest.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I just switched my tent to 6/2 to test this shit. I got tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, seedlings and many clones with some aromatic herbs. I know their growth pattern much less and i noticed my new seedlings getting droopy at the last 3-4 hrs of their photoperiod. Lights are a tad intense for them i think.

So i want to see if this schedule would change anything, and if it does, for better or for worse.

Not scientific by any means. No control group or anything and the outcome will be judged by my human eyes and senses. But i like to see and try stuff for myself and since no one who tried this schedule presented any facts, i gots to do it.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I just switched my tent to 6/2 to test this shit. I got tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, seedlings and many clones with some aromatic herbs. I know their growth pattern much less and i noticed my new seedlings getting droopy at the last 3-4 hrs of their photoperiod. Lights are a tad intense for them i think.

So i want to see if this schedule would change anything, and if it does, for better or for worse.

Not scientific by any means. No control group or anything and the outcome will be judged by my human eyes and senses. But i like to see and try stuff for myself and since no one who tried this schedule presented any facts, i gots to do it.
I'm eager to see what you find. My opinions are strong, but I'll change them in a new york minute based on data.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I'm eager to see what you find. My opinions are strong, but I'll change them in a new york minute based on data.

I have to say, without scientific method all i could claim would be that, if it had devastating effects or not.

Maybe i can also see if it was counter productive or not.

But i doubt i could claim an improvement without solid data and a solid scientific approach.

Either way, gonna give it a week or two and observe.

Last edited:
P

pitchdope

Hello ,any news yet ? <3

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Hello ,any news yet ? <3

Not much. Its not detrimental so far and i do see that the little ones doesn’t droop anymore near the end of the light period so they may be utilizing light more efficiently. No stunted growth, no morphological problems whatsoever in any plant.

Again, i can only say it is not detrimental at this point but to say if its better than any other light schedule a more scientific experiment is needed for sure.

P

pitchdope

That is much enough considering you changed cycle some days only ago ! Good luck ,keep us posted please!

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I’ve heard of folks using that method and having success. I’d personally find it annoying but to each their own.
One things for sure I don’t buy into the whole “Mother Nature does it this way” horseshit. Mother Nature produces low potency moldy seeded bud. Indoor growers manipulate Mother Nature on the daily to get what we want. So many put up such a fight over defoliation and lollipoping cause momma nature don’t play that shit

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I’ve heard of folks using that method and having success. I’d personally find it annoying but to each their own.
One things for sure I don’t buy into the whole “Mother Nature does it this way” horseshit. Mother Nature produces low potency moldy seeded bud. Indoor growers manipulate Mother Nature on the daily to get what we want. So many put up such a fight over defoliation and lollipoping cause momma nature don’t play that shit
Well said but I dont believe mother nature consistently produces moldy seeded flowers outside. Mother nature is designed to grow all plants and not just cannabis...there is room for improvement in a controlled indoor setting for any plant you wish to improve on.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Mother nature is not designed to grow anything. Mother nature is a constant and plants evolve to utilize its offerings as best as they can.

Mother nature is more than fine tho when you take into account how much light a seedling in nature would get at this stage, 6/2 may be a little easier on them. And for others its just good light. Still the same dli. Its doesn’t seem counter productive. Thats all so far.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Well said but I dont believe mother nature consistently produces moldy seeded flowers outside. Mother nature is designed to grow all plants and not just cannabis...there is room for improvement in a controlled indoor setting for any plant you wish to improve on.
Right.
in nature plants only care about continuing the specices and such. Left completely to their own I’m sure you could find some semi smokable bud on em but ol momma and the species don’t give two shits about yield or whether we benefit lol

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Right.
in nature plants only care about continuing the specices and such. Left completely to their own I’m sure you could find some semi smokable bud on em but ol momma and the species don’t give two shits about yield or whether we benefit lol
Almost every characteristic of weed, or any domesticated plant, is the result of selection over many generations. Much like dogs, if left to their own devices, in a few generations, weed plants mongrelize back to ditch weed. This isn't an indoor/outdoor differentiator, its the difference between ditch weed and todays seeds.

But to the point of mother nature. Various pot strains are well adapted to several climates. Grown in those climates, good outdoor weed is pretty close to the better indoor weed. Only pretty close; you can do stuff with light spectrum indoors that you can't do outdoors. But you can't beat outdoors for easy and cheap if you live in one of those climates. And man, it's fun growing eight footers.

Grow in a climate that is too cool, moist, short, yeah, its tough.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Ya dude. Wasn’t meaning to put outdoor down. Not the same as landrace weed in the jungle lol

curbcalmitry

curbcalmitry

@OldManRiver
-earth's day was shorter in the past & has never been 24 hrs of light
-" ... but their biology doesn't work well under that?" if they are alive their biology works, however we're discussing an improvement to their natural processes
-100% right, i should not have used the phrase "... and only begin to access ...", its a spectrum from bad to good & 'more effectively', 'improved', 'better' would have conveyed my point
-"18 hrs of light builds up heat that isn't measured by a thermometer?" idk what your asking. ladies have an optimal temperature window & 18 hrs of heat could push the temperature outside of this
-you know if the light is too intense it damages the plant's tissues. 18/6 vs 6/2 vs 9/3 produces the same "amount" (photon count) of light
- it isn't right vs wrong. I'd hope your open to new ideas, methods, & discussions.

@CaliRooted
Everyone should grow!

couiple of things...

plants dont only start to access starches in the 6 hr lights off period and they never MAX out their starch banks and new research shows at about a DLI of 65 they need a night time. so 24 hrs depends on your setup.

24 hrs is referring to the fact that even at night, outside, PAR isn't 0 and nighttime Photosynth is actually a minus value - with cannabis plants respiring quite quickly.which might also explain the positive benefits of a shorter dark period.

hes also implying heat is the cause of light stress not light intensity... which is correct.

curbcalmitry

curbcalmitry

Almost every characteristic of weed, or any domesticated plant, is the result of selection over many generations. Much like dogs, if left to their own devices, in a few generations, weed plants mongrelize back to ditch weed. This isn't an indoor/outdoor differentiator, its the difference between ditch weed and todays seeds.

But to the point of mother nature. Various pot strains are well adapted to several climates. Grown in those climates, good outdoor weed is pretty close to the better indoor weed. Only pretty close; you can do stuff with light spectrum indoors that you can't do outdoors. But you can't beat outdoors for easy and cheap if you live in one of those climates. And man, it's fun growing eight footers.

Grow in a climate that is too cool, moist, short, yeah, its tough.
this is why we grow super good weed in Australia ;) SA is the driest climate in the world plus we have almost the highest UV index along with summers at having every single day above 30 celsius with no frosts and days never getting shorter than 10 hours

N

NDB

Really? Plants have evolved for millions of years under a 24 day but their biology doesn't work well under that? They can only consume starches during darkness? If what you are saying were true, then 24/hr light schedules during veg should kill the plants. We don't see that.

18 hrs of light builds up heat that isn't measured by a thermometer? Light stresses plants? Who would have thunk that thousands of growers that have seen their yields increasing as light increased are all wrong?

Citation, please. Your statements make no sense.
Well plants/life had evolved to compete with a lot of things most plants don't have our ideal human conditions. Many things cause a loss in light levels in nature. Weather, bad conditions, other plants competition. Biologically it makes sense to use energy when needed, so if plant had less light in any fashion it responds by growing (its activelytrying to survive). Seedlings do this to an extreme they grow out long to reach/find light if there isnt enough. So if it's night time and you grew a little more then the competition you might be the first to reach the light and simultaneously block your competition now they start a race growing more every time one blocks/shades the other (night time is a loss of sun light on most basic level) . Biologically the life on this planet even down to macrobiotic life is extreme smart and efficient, responding to what's needed when needed. In other words you know when you eat a lot of food and get real tired (it takes energy just to live on a basic level). Cannabis is a robust plant it may be able to "thrive" in any light as long as other conditions are ideal. Stress for stimulation is another thing to consider. I.e plants adapt to what's required (especially cannabis). And just in my experience even with regular hours 17/7 cycle, all the growth happens at night, it's especially noticeable when plants are young. Does this prove dark hours are better, no. all it proves is plants respond to light much like human digestion of food too much or too little is bad for everyone but a healthy amount can be split up in 2 or 3 or 4 meals depending on who you are. So Biologically I'm positive there is somthing to a 6/2 cycle.

Top Bottom