7 Unknown Varieties.

• Thread starter SodaLicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I have tried a few grow diaries over the times, but don't think I ever kept faithful. I will try my best here to do a complete log. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. So here's the specs.

600 MH Blue for Veg hung vertical
600 Hortilux HPS for hung vertical

5 x 5 space inside a 10 x 10 room.
3 gallon pots
Sunshine Mix #4
General Hydroponics 3 part with Floralicious Grow
Diamond Nector

Currently using a feed chart from General Hydroponics.

The plants have been under shop fluorescent lights 4 foot with grow bulbs 24hrs for about 2 weeks. Some are larger than others. These particular clones I took off a friends outdoor plants he started from seed. Maybe some fire in here maybe not. Pretty sure they are all females, but not 100% certain. Transplanted into 3 gallon containers and fed with 500 ml's of the following, 6ml Micro, 12 ml Grow, 3ml Bloom, 15ml Diamond Nectar, 5ml Floralicious Grow and 15 drops ph down. Ph @ 6.0 . I filled the 3 gal containers with Sunshine Mix #4 and made holes large enough to fit the beer cup with the clone, then filled gently with loose soil, packed lightly and poured one full beer cup over each plant. Containers feel very light still, but the center where the cutting is is wet. I am giving them a few hours before the lights go on, I think i should run 18hrs with the 600 about 36 inches above the plants, lowering it everyday a few inches until it is about 18 inches from the tops of the plants. Veg only for 2 weeks then flip. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

DSCF1916
DSCF1918

Day 1 600 Blue

The two in the back right hand corner, I think may be leaning toward sativa? The one in the front right was from an Auto my buddy had, it cloned well and looks like it wants to come out of flower I guess we will see. Still debating with myself about the lighting, should I switch them to 18hrs or leave them with 24 hrs? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I was running 6 5gal RDWC in this same space(10x10) The last few runs, I don't have a reliable source for cuttings. My attempts at cloning have been pretty weak to say the least. I might invest in an ez-cloner as i have seen many success stories with them. But I have also seen many success stories with just 1 inch rockwool cubes. I still want to run the RDWC system, just to the side of this soil grow, but keeping the plants way shorter than I have in the past. Any hints or tips anyone can give me on taking cuttings and being successful would be great. I hope to take cuttings off of these 7, and make a mother plant. I have an alternate 4w x 8l x 5h space i can house some moms in, also veg cuttings. Should the mothers be in soil containers or DWC buckets? So many options its overwhelming. Just need a little direction from some experienced farmers. Thanks

sky high

sky high

I'll play bro...

EZ Cloners/aeroponic rooters are great....but I dunno of I'd start there with my cloning experience. Some may disagree...but it's an expense that you don't need to see roots, IMO.

I'd go with the "Dip n stick" method. This method is the same as folks do with rockwool... but I personally like to use Root Riot or Rapidrooter plugs. (I like the Riots myself)

this vid shows how to clone tomatoes.....but the procedure/everything is the same for ganja. There are other cloning vids with weed but you have to sign in and let YouTube tag you to watch them.

I would keep moms in soil if you are going that route.

Another route is to just take cuts from every cycle... I do it that way.....and technically it's the same thing, IMO....I just don't use any space I could be BUDDING in to grow momma stem/leaf...especially theses days when I am no longer doing any sort of volume/large grows/etc. and only need to keep things going for myself....not set up for huge clone runs.

Timing can get a bit tough at times going this way...gotta admit...but it keeps me from wasting space on moms. What I do is wait til about 2 weeks before I want to put plants into flower....and take cuts. I then hang out till I see roots. Once I see roots on the clones...and ONLY when I see roots on the clones...I then put the "moms' in flower. I then grow the clones up....and do the same thing aqll over again on the next cycle. Been doing it this way for 10 yeasrs or so now. At one point i did keep moms tho...and I may do so again if I find multiple keepers in house... so it's certainly nothing more than personal preference/need as to which way ya wanna go.

It might be the camera/my screen...but the tops of yer plants look lighter/like they need more light. If you have a fan...... set it to the side of the plants.... and blow it in between the plant tops and the light. Set the fan up so you JUST see the tops of the plants wavin at ya in the breeze...... then DROP that 600 down tocloser to the plant tops.... the fan will jettison cool air across and it will allow you to get closer to the lamp and foster some nice growth. Don't get it tooo close too fast.... but don't be afraid to pummel them with light if you can KEEP THE HEAT DOWN. You should be able to get 18-24"......maybe closer....with the fan blowing as outlined above.

with unknown genetics/etc. i personally would be readying for cloning...and would be taking cuts and trying to go into flower ASAP. OR.....of you have duplicates of the genetics/duplicate plants... set one of each aside...and flower the others. Then you can start fookin with clonin...and put those in flower later.

hope that helps to move ya forward....

s h

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

It's really easy to clone with rapid rooters. Just be precise in your work, and you'll have great success. Plus, a 50-site rooter and humidity dome will run ya about $30. That, a couple scalpels and some cloning gel, and you're good to go!

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I'll play bro...

EZ Cloners/aeroponic rooters are great....but I dunno of I'd start there with my cloning experience. Some may disagree...but it's an expense that you don't need to see roots, IMO.

I'd go with the "Dip n stick" method. This method is the same as folks do with rockwool... but I personally like to use Root Riot or Rapidrooter plugs. (I like the Riots myself)

this vid shows how to clone tomatoes.....but the procedure/everything is the same for ganja. There are other cloning vids with weed but you have to sign in and let YouTube tag you to watch them.

I would keep moms in soil if you are going that route.

Another route is to just take cuts from every cycle... I do it that way.....and technically it's the same thing, IMO....I just don't use any space I could be BUDDING in to grow momma stem/leaf...especially theses days when I am no longer doing any sort of volume/large grows/etc. and only need to keep things going for myself....not set up for huge clone runs.

Timing can get a bit tough at times going this way...gotta admit...but it keeps me from wasting space on moms. What I do is wait til about 2 weeks before I want to put plants into flower....and take cuts. I then hang out till I see roots. Once I see roots on the clones...and ONLY when I see roots on the clones...I then put the "moms' in flower. I then grow the clones up....and do the same thing aqll over again on the next cycle. Been doing it this way for 10 yeasrs or so now. At one point i did keep moms tho...and I may do so again if I find multiple keepers in house... so it's certainly nothing more than personal preference/need as to which way ya wanna go.

It might be the camera/my screen...but the tops of yer plants look lighter/like they need more light. If you have a fan...... set it to the side of the plants.... and blow it in between the plant tops and the light. Set the fan up so you JUST see the tops of the plants wavin at ya in the breeze...... then DROP that 600 down tocloser to the plant tops.... the fan will jettison cool air across and it will allow you to get closer to the lamp and foster some nice growth. Don't get it tooo close too fast.... but don't be afraid to pummel them with light if you can KEEP THE HEAT DOWN. You should be able to get 18-24"......maybe closer....with the fan blowing as outlined above.

with unknown genetics/etc. i personally would be readying for cloning...and would be taking cuts and trying to go into flower ASAP. OR.....of you have duplicates of the genetics/duplicate plants... set one of each aside...and flower the others. Then you can start fookin with clonin...and put those in flower later.

hope that helps to move ya forward....

s h

Thanks for the great info!! I agree why am I going to waste space that I can flower in for veg.

I have a space that is 4' L x 18" W x 7' H that i have some shelves set up and shop lights in there now that I am trying to root my cuttings in.I could add another shelf and light and have a space for cloning and small mom's.

I've lowered the light last night about 18"s from the tops. I also have 2 more cuttings which are white widow that I can plant tonight into the same size containers, then I'd have 9 plants under the 600.

I have 3 stand up fans and 2 wall mount. I have 2 of the 3 stand up's blowing air around in the room, the plants are moving gently in the breeze. I've had constant problems with branches breaking in flower, so this time I made sure to have enough fans to strengthen the stems and hopefully prevent that from happening again this go.

I am hoping that a 2 week veg will be enough to yield a few zips off this. I need to keep my better half medicated!!!

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Lowered the light again tonight, now its about 14inches from the plants.

Everybody got 3 beer cups of tap water @ ph 6.0

There hasn't been any run-off from the bottom of the pots when I've watered. I am scared of over watering them. Tonight though with 3 beer cups of water the pots felt heavy. Should I water until water comes from the bottom of the container?

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

All but 2 of the clones are showing signs of sex. One that isn't showing signs yet is growing like it was straight from seed, the other is just starting alternating nodes. Been looking very closely at them, if they are males I might chuck some pollen because they are VERY skunky.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

So heres a little update.

Everyone is looking happy so far, today is the start of week 2 Veg.

Everyone is showing positive signs of sex now, no males to be seen, still looking for signs of hermy's though.

Everybody got one full beer cup of Nutes at the following rate:

6ml GH Micro, 14ml GH Grow, 3ml GH Bloom, 15ml Diamond Nector, 10ml GH Bio Roots, PH 6.0

I've also been raising the lights every night for about 10 minutes and giving everybody a spray of ph'd water @ 6.0. I feel this might be helping them since the humidity is hovering around 50%.

Been thinking about foilar feeding with the nutes I have but am unsure of amounts to use etc.

Here are some pictures.
DSCF1923
DSCF1926

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Day 10

Watered with nutes today. Everybody got 650ml's of water. 6ml micro, 14ml grow, 3ml bloom, 15ml diamond nectar, 5ml floralicious grow, 5ml bio root, ph @ 5.8.

I re-potted the 2 white widow, and 1 white purple kush, into the same containers as the rest, i think they are 3 gal.

I am trying another shot at cloning in rock wool. I had a mother plant that wasn't doing the greatest and taking up space so i chopped her up.

I only kept the nicest shoots, there are 7.

I snipped off the leaves while the shoots where on the plant, then cut about 8 inch long shoots. Placed them in water ph @ 6.0 for 24 hours.

I soaked the rock wool cubes, in water ph @ 5.5 for 24 hours. After 24 hours I removed the cubes and gently squeezed some water out. I then placed them into a tray with egg crate on the bottom. This keeps the clones off the tray and allows excess water to drain away.

I then re-cut the shoots with their stems under water, @ 45 degree just below a node. I then dipped each one into olivias cloning gel and placed them into the cubes. I gently pressed the rock wool against the stems to ensure contact all around. Then placed a clear 7" dome over them.

They are 3 days old now, I've been removing the dome for a few minutes every day and getting some air circulation around them. I may start increasing the time the dome is off in a few days. i am closely watching the cubes to ensure they are always moist but not soaked. The egg crate seems to be working nicely.

I will post some pictures as soon as they show some roots. I hope to get rock wool down because I have about 100 cubes of it I want to use up. I can't get rapid rooters anywhere around here so I am going to order some online.

The plants under the 600 are almost ready to take cuttings from. There is one that i really like, she has grown like a seed until now, she is just starting to alternate nodes, very dark jagged leaves, skunky aroma. Then there are the "Sativa" sisters I have. They are just as wide as they are tall, I really am looking forward to finding out what they have to offer.

Cort

Cort

I use rockwool and this method. I have some girls in my ice cube tray cloner right now. The ice cube tray cloner can be made for less than 5 bucks at walmart. More to the point, Id say I have made 100+ babies in the ice cube tray and never had a failure. Fast, production cloning? Nope, but it gets the job done every time.

Pulled this quote describing how to make the ice cube tray cloner from the thread below. You can scale down to use just a singe tray and a small container from the 99 cent store. going to the thread you can see pics of how he did it. I am stupid and cant post a ling to his post, so I did it this way.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/ez-cloner-60.12802/
here's a couple pics of my bubble cloner DIY and a link to
the thread detailing how i built it, and all for about $25.00.

cheap and easy DIY cloner and what to do with the results

frankly though, i only used it for about a year, with great
success, then i found the ice-tube-tray cloner thread at
ICMag and it was so cheap and easy lookin', i had to try
it and i'm glad i did.

i still get between 80 - 95% success with the ice-tubes,
and just as fast, usually within 10 days, the differences
are it's ease of use, it's cheapness and it's small footprint,
i can now fit 54 cuts in the same space as my 18 station
bubbler.

anyway, here's a couple pics and a link to the ice-tube-tray
thread for anyone daring enough to spend $10.00 and give it a try.

World class cloner new at walmart

btw, this isn't my idea, it was posted originally on the OG
site back in the day, then on ICMag after OG went down.

note also how extensive the root system is with the tube
clones.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Day 15

Everybody got groomed last night. All the lowers were removed/thinned. Was going to give them another couple days veg, but I think they are a nice size to flip.

Everytime I think I need to veg longer, I veg way too long. So I think this will be a good starting point.

Plain water ph'd @ 5.8 for the last 2 waterings. The pots are getting light everyday now so I am going to increase their water amount tonight. Should I water until run-off? or just give them enough so they feel heavy?

I am going to feed them week 1 flower tonight. Tomorrow will be the beginning of 12/12. I am switching the MH to a HPS Should I turn on another 600, or just use the one for a few weeks?

DSCF1941
DSCF1939

The next set of pictures are of 2 girls i call the Sativa Sisters. They both come from the same Seed in my friends greenhouse. All he said was "Sativa". I have my doubts by the way the leaves are starting to look, but I am no expert. The leaves look different than the other plants that's for sure. What do you think?

DSCF1943

DSCF1946

This next picture is of the Auto Flowering clone I was able to root. It wasn't flowering when I took the cutting, but the upper part of the mother was starting to, my friend said it wasn't going to work, I wanted to prove him wrong more than anything, so I took one. It rooted and here it is. Just been growing weird, with lots of hairs. Gonna see what it does, I don't expect much, if anything from it, but a J sure would be nice to smoke with him for atoadaso!!!

DSCF1947

So this is what my cloning shelf looks like. The clones on the right are the WPK I took a week ago, some of the leaves are starting to yellow, but there aren't any roots out the bottom of the cube yet. Any suggestions/comments welcome.

DSCF1931

DSCF1934

sky high

sky high

It's natural for the larger leaves to take a hit/drop...at least from my experience. If you could see the stem inside the RW cube, I'm guessing they are bumpin' out and roots are forming/about to pop.

a few more daze and you should be there....

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

It's natural for the larger leaves to take a hit/drop...at least from my experience. If you could see the stem inside the RW cube, I'm guessing they are bumpin' out and roots are forming/about to pop.

a few more daze and you should be there....

Thanks sky high. I cut a bunch more clones from the girls. I am trying to root them the same way, in cubes. I still haven't seen any roots yet. I will let you know as soon as i get some.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Just checked the cuttings. The dome has been off for 12 hours. The cubes were almost bone dry :-(. I poured some water into the egg crate they should wick it up. Still no roots though.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I added another light last night. a 600 watt hps hortilux. I used this bulb for one flower run of 12 weeks. It has some blackening on the outer glass shell. I hope it still has enough lumens to make a difference. I am leaving the 600 mh for another week then switching it out for another hortilux.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

This cloning is giving me the shits. I am going to build that bubble cloner real soon. I want to take cuttings again off the bottoms of the girls on day 14 flower. The WPK Clones I took almost 2 weeks ago haven't shown roots yet, and its getting frustrating. I just want to be able to take cuttings and get crazy mad white roots like I see in pictures around the farm.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Switching out that MH for another EYE WHORTILUX...... Got them, spent the fucking cake, might as well use em till they dont work

Glab120

Glab120

your light sourse might be to bright for the fresh cuttings. using floros i noticed really long rooting times. when i switched to a small t5 my life got a lil easier.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

your light sourse might be to bright for the fresh cuttings. using floros i noticed really long rooting times. when i switched to a small t5 my life got a lil easier.

I never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion, I've always used floros 40 wat 2 bulb fixture 48" long..... what kind of t5 are you talking about?

Top Bottom