7 weeks into flower , Ready to Harvest ?

• Thread starter jamesmost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I have done this for decades and I will say this. Flushing is needed when I ran salts. I don't care what they say I can taste the difference. But organic fertilizer it's not a issue at all you don't have to worry about buildup. It might be just me and not watering for enough run off but either way 🤮 knf all the way 🥰

Madbud

Madbud

I like to go 2 weeks strait water. That's what plant is drinking
I just swapped reservoirs, strait h2o as of 8am 2morro
Nice grow. Recent study on flushing

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The article sounds like it was pushed by a nutrient company 😳 that's a sales add
I think Dr.Bruce Bugbee talked about tests done on one of the shows I saw him on. They had the same conclusions as the tests RXGreen tech did above....

Off topic a bit but I'm turning the intensity down on my led lights and turning the hours back to 18hrs/day for the last week and I water/ feed/ water / feed/water and I try to finish on a water cycle......is that flushing?

" CONCLUSION​

In a first of its kind study, Rx Green Technologies evaluated the effects of flushing period on yield, potency, terpenes, mineral content, and taste characteristics of Cannabis flower. Overall, the length of the flushing period did not impact yield, potency, terpenes, or taste characteristics of Cannabis flower. Taste test results indicated a trend toward improved flavor and smoke quality with the zero-day flush. While there were no significant differences in nutrient content, there was a trend toward increased iron and zinc in flower flushed for 14 days. The results of this trial indicate that there is no benefit to flushing Cannabis flower for improved taste or consumer experience. "

growsince79

growsince79

The only reason to flush is when you are a week from harvest and run out of nutrients. There aren't too many things in nature that get "better" when you starve them. Even if they are dying...
My peppers and tomatoes get better when I starve them the last week and create a drought. That's been common knowledge for at least 100 years.

Eledin

Eledin

Nice grow. Recent study on flushing
Thanks! I dont think a nute company would make that study so you can buy your nutes and because you followed what they said your weed tastes bad, that would make you not buy their nutes. Its great info since I only flush for fear of harsh smoke and because I reuse the soil and I dont want a soil full of nutrients because I plant from seed in the final pot and I make my supersoil anyway (light fertilized on top, heavier on the bottom). I will still flush because of that but I will shorten to 1 flush with epsom salts a few days before instead of doing 1 week or more like I used to, I always wanted it not to be true so I can feed them more but I never saw a conclussive study. Also it would have been cool if they used peat for the experiment too, not only coco and perlite, but I guess it wont be much different. It would also be nice if they gave more input on what their nutes have, I dont know if they are fully organic or not or what they are made of (anyone?). When I flush since I use fully organic my runoff water comes brown dark, which makes me think that it could also benefit since my soil is a bit saturated at the end of the grow, probably very high on ppm since I use peat coco with mostly peat. (I dont have an EC meter right now, or many of the tools I used to have, so I gotta go by experience)

Eledin

Eledin

The article sounds like it was pushed by a nutrient company 😳 that's a sales add
But what if its not true? You buy their nutes, dont flush and your weed tastes like chemicals or bitter or just harsh, that would make you not trust them and not buy their nutes, right?

Eledin

Eledin

My peppers and tomatoes get better when I starve them the last week and create a drought. That's been common knowledge for at least 100 years.
Many people do that several times during the grow before watering, do you think its good or just at the end of the growth? Ive done it but since my soil takes long to dry and I gotta feed them I cant do it often, I need more coco with my peat, I bought some to make around 70 perlite 30 coco but I will go 50 50 for my next one. I live next to a river in between mountains so the humidity is quite high most of the year.

breedwheel

breedwheel

I grow tomatoes and peppers too. What kinds of peppers and tomatoes do you harvest the entire plant all at once? Maybe a Roma once in a while because their determinate and the rest of the plant looks like crap. You would have thought the American Indians would have known about that common knowledge and they have been here a lot longer than 100 years. I never have grown vegetables in pots so maybe if you starve them then pull them they are better.

J

jamesmost

I grow tomatoes and peppers too. What kinds of peppers and tomatoes do you harvest the entire plant all at once? Maybe a Roma once in a while because their determinate and the rest of the plant looks like crap. You would have thought the American Indians would have known about that common knowledge and they have been here a lot longer than 100 years. I never have grown vegetables in pots so maybe if you starve them then pull them they are better.
I grow some tomatoes 🍅 too...
And do the same.... the early ones finish off the vine.... gotta cure

growsince79

growsince79

The habaneros and ghost peppers pretty much all get ripe all at the end. Roma, Patio and Early Girls are about all I can grow here. The worst thing you can do is water before you pick.

growsince79

growsince79

I said 100 years because my grandfather, and my wifes grandfather both told us the same thing. Oh mrs79 is 100% native- so at least some Indians know. Here's what google says about peppers:
"Long hot days cause peppers to produce more capsaicin, the specific alkaloid that delivers the spicy kick. The absence of water also has an effect. The higher a vegetable's water content, the larger and juicier it is, but the more diluted the flavor."

breedwheel

breedwheel

I said 100 years because my grandfather, and my wifes grandfather both told us the same thing. Oh mrs79 is 100% native- so at least some Indians know. Here's what google says about peppers:
"Long hot days cause peppers to produce more capsaicin, the specific alkaloid that delivers the spicy kick. The absence of water also has an effect. The higher a vegetable's water content, the larger and juicier it is, but the more diluted the flavor."
What kind of peppers and tomatoes did you say "you" grow? Weed doesn't make capsaicin. Do your thing man. The flushing argument is something I promised I would stay out of. Lots of variables that can go with flushing like the nutes, medium, genetics, grow style, and when you like to harvest. I was just stating how I feel about flushing after a few grows without messing with it---not quoting shit from google or someone elses forum post

Eledin

Eledin

I was getting my substrate ready for the next grow yesterday and I cant believe how many times I had to flush for the water not to come dark brown, there's way more stuff there than npk and some minerals (using AN organics), and I did flush a couple of times before harvest, with epsom salts and flawless finish. Im guessing most of that stuff the plant wont take anyway but if you reuse the soil I think flushing is a must. I dont want a soil with an unkown npk ammount and other stuff saturating the soil, I add my own stuff (to make super soil) and I like to have it under control, specially since I plant the germinated seed in the final pot. I will flush more next time before harvest and then let them dry a bit before harvest. I used to do that anyway because it helps the drying process go faster and thats good for me since I live in a high humidity area.

Madbud

Madbud

Thanks! I dont think a nute company would make that study so you can buy your nutes and because you followed what they said your weed tastes bad, that would make you not buy their nutes. Its great info since I only flush for fear of harsh smoke and because I reuse the soil and I dont want a soil full of nutrients because I plant from seed in the final pot and I make my supersoil anyway (light fertilized on top, heavier on the bottom). I will still flush because of that but I will shorten to 1 flush with epsom salts a few days before instead of doing 1 week or more like I used to, I always wanted it not to be true so I can feed them more but I never saw a conclussive study. Also it would have been cool if they used peat for the experiment too, not only coco and perlite, but I guess it wont be much different. It would also be nice if they gave more input on what their nutes have, I dont know if they are fully organic or not or what they are made of (anyone?). When I flush since I use fully organic my runoff water comes brown dark, which makes me think that it could also benefit since my soil is a bit saturated at the end of the grow, probably very high on ppm since I use peat coco with mostly peat. (I dont have an EC meter right now, or many of the tools I used to have, so I gotta go by experience)
Just ran a slurry test through an ubleached coffee filter on a run thats finishing and know the soil is “hot”, 3.15 ec and 1600 ppm; also the same soil after sitting in grow bags outdoors through the winter since last summer:
9462D6F1 B9AF 4BDB B7E3 E63A683DD915
112DCF63 8414 474E 8E36 1AE165718FA5

Water is dark like coffee but flushed practically clean at 290 ppm 0.58 ec, considering the distilled water is around 50 ppm.
So maybe theres the flush bro science, preparing the soil for the next run while its in late flower.

Eledin

Eledin

Not flushing will also work for those that do flush. All you’re doing is removing nutrients from the soil. Those nutrients still exist in the leaves, which is where it’ll just pull from next (if it hasn’t already started - that’s why folks say just use straight water - since you’re just kind of wasting nutrients at that point).

Unless your plant is showing signs of toxicity or deficiency, there’s zero reason to flush.

All these outdoor growers - you think they’re flushing the earth? That right there should tell you all you need to know.
No, that would be ridiculous and unnecessary since its not inside a pot and rain or watering washes it away. I reuse my soil so I have to flush it nonetheless, but this time I flushed mostly after the harvest, I did give them epsom salts and flawless finish before going to plain water for the last week or week and a half. Thats also my point, when you flush the leaves start yellowing sooner, I would want to know about that specifically, if flushing to force it to use the nutes from the leaves at the right time actually does something. Madbud posted a study made in coco perlite with specific nutes (no ingredient list, just npk ratio in their website so a bit dissapointed) and it didnt seem to make a difference, but I grow in coco peat and the runoff water comes really dark at the end of the harvest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom