707finishers first indoor grow, small tent.

• Thread starter 707finisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

eradicate - use that neem oil as last desperate measure. then if that doesn't work, then consider eradicating affected plants. i reckon if you're considering yanking the plants, then you might as well employ 'heavy' measures.

Can ladybugs or preying mantis live in that sort of environment? They love aphids.

while desirable to counter with such more environmental measures such as introducing predators to the bugs, this solution would not be practical for many growers.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Can ladybugs or preying mantis live in that sort of environment? They love aphids.
They should be avalible locally for me in about 2 months and I'll be using them, actually the lacewing as they hang out, ladies run off but I'm growing outside and in greenhouses so it's perfect for me. For grow tents and most indoor grows no bugs, even predators are unwelcome. From their excrement to shed skink and dead bodies bacteria become a problem.😉

707finisher

707finisher

The seedlings are what hurts the most, almost 10$ per seed for feminized, the clones are replaceable as long as I can keep the moms safe lol. I saw a couple aphids on the new roots of a few seedlings that were in flower tent trying to force sex. Makes sense why growth is slowing and look nutrient deprived, I sprayed the bottoms of all the pots inside the drain holes with neem. I also put sticky tape around every plant in flower. I’ll do it to the rest in veg and nursery later today. I pulled the root ball out of the big herer and the romie, no sign of root aphids in there, they were only in the wedding cake, and the newer herer. the new clones don’t have any sign either, but that doesn’t mean much. Going to start treating the plants early in their life whether they have bugs or not. Starting with a root soak in neem solution once they are ready for water. Since 3-4 days is normal watering, I’ll do initial root soak in neem, then water, then neem, every other time. At least for a couple weeks. Considering watering the moms with a pyrethrum just to be safe. Or just water each one with a gallon of neem every couple weeks? Ugh. I don’t think they are infected, but who knows at this point.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I haven’t had time to read through all the other posts so this may have already been mentions.....here’s what I came up with. You’ll want a product with Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA in it for the root aphids. Follow the max dose applications. Bontanigard 22 WP has the highest spore count concentration which is what you want. This same product will help with the fungus gnats. Alternate that with azamax as a soil drench. Mosquito bits work for killing fungus gnats.

Indoor plants are indoor and outdoor plants stay outdoors. Do you grow anything else outside? Trying to figure out how you got root aphids....

Seraphine

Seraphine

The seedlings are what hurts the most, almost 10$ per seed for feminized, the clones are replaceable as long as I can keep the moms safe lol. I saw a couple aphids on the new roots of a few seedlings that were in flower tent trying to force sex. Makes sense why growth is slowing and look nutrient deprived, I sprayed the bottoms of all the pots inside the drain holes with neem. I also put sticky tape around every plant in flower. I’ll do it to the rest in veg and nursery later today. I pulled the root ball out of the big herer and the romie, no sign of root aphids in there, they were only in the wedding cake, and the newer herer. the new clones don’t have any sign either, but that doesn’t mean much. Going to start treating the plants early in their life whether they have bugs or not. Starting with a root soak in neem solution once they are ready for water. Since 3-4 days is normal watering, I’ll do initial root soak in neem, then water, then neem, every other time. At least for a couple weeks. Considering watering the moms with a pyrethrum just to be safe. Or just water each one with a gallon of neem every couple weeks? Ugh. I don’t think they are infected, but who knows at this point.

Do not do a soil drench with neem! Trust me! It’ll suffocate the roots. There is something called soluneem that can be used as a soil drench If you’re set on using neem but don’t use the oil.

Seraphine

Seraphine

If you picked up the root aphids from your yard, then you’ll want to figure where they are coming from and treat those too. I would buy a different brand potting soil too just in case they came in the soil.

707finisher

707finisher

Big project, turned full remodel, got sick on Friday got stir crazy and kept thinking about the bugs. Had last 4 days to pick away at it.

Now that I am a little more aware of what’s going on with all this I have made some improvements.

I am lining an area with plastic and sealing it off as good as I can. Then I’m going to control the area environment instead of 3 individual micro environments. With all the equipment I have to support 3.5 micro grows I can well ventilate and control the area they are in.
I am setting up a changing area on one end where I enter, in my skivs after shower, have clean pants shoes hoodie gloves and dust mask that stay there, and wash them once a week. This will help stop anything new coming in.
So far I’ve Sprayed the moms with neem oil, all the leaves the top of the soil till damp and the outside and bottom of the Smart pots. The stuff in small pots all got watered with neem oil till runoff. I agree the oil stays in the soil and they struggle. But the bugs need to die before I do anything. Even if I throw it all it the trash after.

I won’t be flowering anything in the neem oiled soil, I think the neem is to gross to want to smoke it after that. but I will take clones off the seedlings and the healthy older clones. I figure between

I believe several factors happened at once.

1. My lady’s mom passed, she had several unhappy house plants we ended up with.
2. I got a bunch of bonsai trees that were badly neglected and unhealthy.
3. I got some potting soil from the local hardware store that at least had the gnats in it.

I have clean stuff in nursery tent ready to go and new clones rooted and ready for veg, hasn’t slowed me down to much.

The big herer and romie weren’t affected, I dug all through the root balls. The smart pot protected them. The moms are newer than that so I’m thinking they might be good.

I am going to order a pyrethrum of some kind and hit them hard to make sure the soil isn’t contaminated. I read it degrades quickly. In soil it can last 90 days I’ve read. But in a clone cutting it will be untraceable in theory.

I am going to clean up all the trees and plants everywhere else and treat them with pyrethrum a few times over the next month or 2. Then going to start using preventive treatments every so often with nematodes or fungal stuff. I’ll get this under control eventually. It’s a bigger problem than a few pot plants I’m realizing.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Big project, turned full remodel, got sick on Friday got stir crazy and kept thinking about the bugs. Had last 4 days to pick away at it.

Now that I am a little more aware of what’s going on with all this I have made some improvements.

I am lining an area with plastic and sealing it off as good as I can. Then I’m going to control the area environment instead of 3 individual micro environments. With all the equipment I have to support 3.5 micro grows I can well ventilate and control the area they are in.
I am setting up a changing area on one end where I enter, in my skivs after shower, have clean pants shoes hoodie gloves and dust mask that stay there, and wash them once a week. This will help stop anything new coming in.
So far I’ve Sprayed the moms with neem oil, all the leaves the top of the soil till damp and the outside and bottom of the Smart pots. The stuff in small pots all got watered with neem oil till runoff. I agree the oil stays in the soil and they struggle. But the bugs need to die before I do anything. Even if I throw it all it the trash after.

I won’t be flowering anything in the neem oiled soil, I think the neem is to gross to want to smoke it after that. but I will take clones off the seedlings and the healthy older clones. I figure between

3. I got some potting soil from the local hardware store that at least had the gnats in it.

I have clean stuff in nursery tent ready to go and new clones rooted and ready for veg, hasn’t slowed me down to much.

The big herer and romie weren’t affected, I dug all through the root balls. The smart pot protected them. The moms are newer than that so I’m thinking they might be good.

I am going to order a pyrethrum of some kind and hit them hard to make sure the soil isn’t contaminated. I read it degrades quickly. In soil it can last 90 days I’ve read. But in a clone cutting it will be untraceable in theory.

I am going to clean up all the trees and plants everywhere else and treat them with pyrethrum a few times over the next month or 2. Then going to start using preventive treatments every so often with nematodes or fungal stuff. I’ll get this under control eventually. It’s a bigger problem than a few pot plants I’m realizing.
I could never do it. Good luck!👍

707finisher

707finisher

Also I’m going to continue cleaning out the tents regularly. Like every time I’ll take out the plants to water, which is another possible contamination time. I’m working on a watering tray so I can leave everything in place and water to runoff. Thinking just plywood with a small 1” lip wrapped in 6mil plastic. Or find a hydroponic tray for a million dollars... Also going to be cleaning my watering setup regularly. I use the same 2 trays for catching excess runoff and The same 5 gallon bucket to water everything. I pulled the bung out of the 5 gallon bucket lid. Works perfect for draining the initial runoff flow. Once it slows to drips I put them in the tilted trays. I also use the trays to measure the final ph and ppm. Bleaching everything in case of microscopic eggs and such. Getting rid of as much of the misc wood as well. Used wood and some cardboard to raise the heights of plants. Needs to be non porous and cleanable.

707finisher

707finisher

This is really a great thing!!! I am going to have a much better overall environment for me to work in and for maintaining a more consistent environment for the plants. I will make a cloning station and everything! This was the best thing to happen yet! I’m really sad about the romie, and pulling the herer early. There was fungus gnats stuck to the romie though, and I have romie clones ready to go and a mother.
Turned off hps and switched everything to veg 18/6 for now. The leds are more than enough for veg, save a little power while I’m constructing 😁 Once I’m done cleaning and re setting up I’ll figure out what I’m doing from there.

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

I really enjoy reading your posts. You have so many ideas and you turn everything into something positive and move forward. I love the picture on the splash page here of the pretty red headed girl sitting in a field of weed, and she's smiling, and her shirt says, 'It's only a plant'.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Good luck bud. Sounds like you got your head around it.

707finisher

707finisher

Understanding how an environment works, and building a structure to house it is so much different than growing plants in them. Seems like there would be more crossover knowledge. Been gardening and practicing bonsai forever. Been working and building around it my adult life. And now I know I knew nothing. That’s a good place to start from :)
I always find a way to make things a little bit better, I always try to go the extra mile to get that final, finished feel. Like you all probably get from seeing a fully matured ripe and ready flower that’s been well tended. This is going to be a good one I think. Im going to find out the hardiest strain for sure lol.

707finisher

707finisher

I am very professional about my work and customers. I never talk to people about what they are doing unless they volunteer. I actually haven’t learned much from that. It has helped a lot with my customer base though.

707finisher

707finisher

On a positive note, the 3 tiny wedding cake buds I put in the cloner rooted!!!! Every single clone I took is either ready to plant, or was planted last week!
The wedding cake I had been posting is truest a beautiful strain. It’s really slow 90 or more, but it’s so sweet and funky and gassy! Be been testing it as it cures lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom