A dirty Animal, a 3-D printer, and a LED walk into a room.....

• Thread starter AnimalHouse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
And try to grow some stinky weeds!
Trying some new stuff and figured I should probably write things down and take some pics or I might forget. The whole short term memory thing ya know.šŸ„“

These seeds are from a feminized 6 pack of Purple Crash (Sundae Driver x Purple Punch) by Greenpoint.
Bought the pack sometime last year, kept them in the fridge, and popped them this week.
Been using vertical germination (paper towels in DVD case) for maybe 10 years or so? Been a long time but now with a 3-D printer I made something specifically designed for popping sprouts. And yeah I get it. Mother Nature been popping beans for eons. A little dirt to cover 'em, some sun and water and there ya go. But I'm a stoner and we tend to over think and over engineer whenever possible so popping beans is no exception. And who knows. We might make a little magic in the process!šŸ˜‹

So this is my sprouting kit prototype dissembled and stuff needed to pop the beans. The next kit I make will be done with food grade plastic and have a little reservoir/carrying case

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 8

beans in the channels

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 7

Assembled with 3 seeds on one side of the divider and 3 on the other. I'm only doing six but this thing could pop 12 seeds at the same time

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 2

Once some heads showed I took a looksy at how it's working. Nice and straight with no cross over or pig tails

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room

Let 'em go for another day and things start to work a little too well. Time to get 'em planted

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 3

Kinda like handling a bare root clone but much more fragile

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 4

I water my soil very well before planting then bore a hole with the handle of my garden claw. Insert the sprout holding it's head above the soil line then collapse the hole around the tap root and water it in

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 9

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 10

Light is at 10% output

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 5

Room conditions are solid

A dirty animal a 3 d printer and a led walk into a room 6

And away we go! Seems like everything is in order for a solid start so now it's just about being patient and watching. They'll probably spend the next 10 days or so establishing themselves with roots and baby leaves then start to take off at quick pace.

Nothing too elaborate as far as soil and nutes goes. They're in Roots 707 and 1 gallon airpots to start and later will be upcanned to 7 gallon pots filled with Roots Lush.
Nutes are Neptune's Harvest Liquid Fish and Seaweed, Mycos, Compost Tea, and Terp Tea.
My water is kinda special though. Deionized RO with UV purifying circulation in a 55 gallon barrel. Totally stripped down and as pure as it gets. No pH adjustments required.
Lights are CLW LED.

āœŒļø More fun coming soon......

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Following along, really great idea on the germinator. We should share our 3D models, I have tons of 3D printed dodads all over my growspace.
Definitely! I've only had my printer for a little over a month and yep everything I'm using is open source and once I have projects finalized I'll submit them as open source as well. Right now I'm using TinkerCad for starter shapes and building from there. Cults is pretty good too with lots of downloads but for some reason many won't work with my slicing program.
Most things I've printed so far have something to do with weed. Either growing it or smoking it.

These are bases I've made for my wax vape and titanium bong. These pieces are top heavy and prone to fall over either spilling bong water or dripping melted wax into the mouthpiece.
They're based off a stegosaurus foot reshaped with text added to create "Bongfoot" and Waxfoot"

IMG 0203

This one is a work in progress but I'm trying to make a Fat Elvis wax vape base.

IMG 0202

And I'm also making console caddies for things like lighters, doobs, and vapes. Instant cure for losing lighters in between car seats šŸ˜‹

IMG 3696

Lovin it! Very nice.
Thanks Buddy!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A grower after my own heart.

I've got 3 printers now and I always want another lol. I'm open sourcing a box for fogponics and I have tons of pics of 3D printed stuff over there on the thread. You are welcome to any of it. I'm a hydro / fogponics grower so many of the things I need don't exist. Or maybe I just want them. Either way it is cool to imagine something and have it in your hands the next day. Very empowering.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Little update to post...Seedlings are truckin' along.
Light is at 15% output.
Watered once so far and added Mycos+ to the water. Seemed to give them a little charge.
Have a couple that decided to lay over getting a little stretchy and top heavy so once again the 3-D printer solved it!
I made up these nifty little support stakes with a U shaped hook at the top to support seedlings when I water so they don't fall over.

Before the supports

IMG 3710

And after the supports

IMG 3713

IMG 3716

I went ahead and printed out a support stake for all 6 just in case.
And here's the Mycos+ stuff I'm using for this grow. I usually use Great White but this stuff was $10 less and seems to be the same thing with how it gives the youngins a little kick in the butt the day after applying

IMG 3714

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Looking real good. I did the same thing printing out little rings. Then I figured out how to tune the environment to keep the stems the length I want them to be.

Something you might notice is that when you force the solar panels back into alignment it might send a little shock into the plant. Watch them close and if they still try to bend away from the light above your support they are telling you they donā€™t like the light.

You using PETG? We should maybe start a shared library. Iā€™d like to print out one of your germ boxes and send it to @Habosabin I think one of these would solve his bad luck germinating lately.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I like that vertical germination method.
Thanks man. Germination is something I put a lot of attention to detail into doing. It's all about managing and directing energy to put the odds heavily in my favor for a fast and successful start.
There's a lot of stored energy inside a seed and when it's soaked in water, releases that energy.
The very first thing a sprout does when it comes alive is orientate itself to gravity, figuring out which way is up and which way is down. Suspending the seed up off the ground get the gravitational pull needed to send the root down and the green part up. If there's no pull on the point of the tap root the root will coil and that's not good at all.
Next part of the detail is constant moisture but not drowned. That will shed the shell easily. This sprouter design with the channels to help guide the tap as straight as possible does a great job at managing all that energy so the sprout doesn't waste any of it and puts it all to use in a good way.

It will work for you but since you're using rockwool is a little tricky. You would likely need to go with 4" blocks. It's been over a decade since I've used rockwool so I've forgotten most of what I knew about it but I do remember using a conditioner when I had issues with it and it worked better than the pH soak I had been doing.
The only conditioner I'm seeing now is Hydrodynamic Europonic Rockwool Solution so that may help you.
Anyways yeah you would need to use 4" conditioned blocks.
Take the sleeve off and slice the block in half. Lay the long sprout down on the inside of one half of the block and cover the sprout with the other half of the block. Put the sleeve back on or use a rubber band to hold it together. After a week or two the roots will stitch the block together and the sleeve or band won't be needed.

Looking real good. I did the same thing printing out little rings. Then I figured out how to tune the environment to keep the stems the length I want them to be.

Something you might notice is that when you force the solar panels back into alignment it might send a little shock into the plant. Watch them close and if they still try to bend away from the light above your support they are telling you they donā€™t like the light.

You using PETG? We should maybe start a shared library. Iā€™d like to print out one of your germ boxes and send it to @Habosabin I think one of these would solve his bad luck germinating lately.

Nah no shock. They're just out of sorts from being picked up off the mat but after a couple hours they're all up and perky. This light is pretty ez on the plants. They love it and will try to eat when they get big but I've never seen a time where a plant will act like it wants to hide from it

IMG 3718

Right now I'm using PLA filament but I have a spool of PETG. I'll need to adjust my printer setting to use it though. Right now my nozzle temp is about 20-30 degree too cool to use it.
I've organized my profile on TinkerCad and have made the vertical germinator public. For people to download them they may need to start a profile on tinkercad to access them.
There's three parts to it and total print time for all three parts is probably around 4 hours.
I've also made my support stakes and a reusable yellow sticky trap available to the public. The sticky trap will require Tanglefoot to make it an actual trap but it's a good use of a freebie spool of yellow filament I have here šŸ˜‹

For anybody who wants to make these it's super simple and you don't really need to own a 3-D printer if there's a place like some UPS stores have one for rent and even some public libraries have printers people can use for free.
So yeah go to my profile and click on a design. The design will come up in a window with an option to either tinker with it or download it as is. Click download and save it on your PC. Get a micro SD card, I prefer 8gb because my printer does not like bigger storage than that, and save the file on the SD card. Then you can take that card and plug it into a printer and print it out.
If a design I have is not public just let me know here and I'll open it up. Some are still a work in progress.

I'm in ... I'm gonna watch this grow. Interested in the 3d printer stuff especially.

Thanks Man! Glad to have you along for the ride!āœŒļø

Last edited:
AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Cruisin' along at 2 weeks old.
Good growth rate and stems are firming up so I think we're coming out of the seedling stage and entering veg. Next watering they'll also get a half dose of fish and seaweed.
Been some cool days and nights so with this room relying on fresh air then adjusting the temp on the intake with a heater or AC I've had to use a bit of heat to keep them up in the 75-85 range.
Light is at 20% output and will bump to 25% at the end of the week to go with that feeding

IMG 3724

IMG 3725

A new addition to my room has me quite excited!
I use a large 4'x8' tray for flowering in a 4'x10' space in the room. Trellis, staking, and yoyos have typically been my method of plant support but I've been looking to upgrade that for a long time, wanting to use netting or SCROG for better plant control.
So I ordered the Trim Daddy SCROG system which consists of clamp on corner brackets on the tray, eight 2'x1/2" poles, and two trellis nets

IMG 3726

Scrog

I spent $75 on this kit but looking at the brackets I see something a 3-D printer could make for a fraction of that cost. Time to tinker!

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
You're getting nice growth and fattening of the leaves, with a nice pretty green color, you're doing something right
šŸ˜

Everythingā€™s perfect in my book. Nice work animal.

Thanks Fellas! šŸ˜Š

I got in there today for some house cleaning and maintenance. Removed all the baby fat leaves, 1 and 3 pointers, and mainlined the stalks to 4 main shoots each. Tried to catch them early but still with enough growth to handle the shock and move on.
After snipping I top dressed a few of the pots now that the soil has settled in and gave them another very light dose of fish and seaweed and mycos+. Lights are up to 35%, 18 on 6 off.

Lights in "View" mode

IMG 3736

IMG 3737

Blurple mode

IMG 3738

IMG 3739

Hard to do but in the end, for the betteršŸ™ƒ

IMG 3740

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Construction complete and now it's time for a flower party!
The ladies have really filled out the 2x2 tray and began to crowd on each other so they're gonna be upcanned this week into 7 gallon pots, pulled down off the table, and placed in a 4x8 tray on the floor.

Heater is keeping conditions warm and dry. As long as I feed their thirst every day with about 30oz of water or feeding for each plant they're thriving well. And now that house is buttoned up for Winter they're benefiting from the increase in ambient co2 provided by my pets and family.

They got their last feeding today in the airpots and the light is at about 60%

IMG 3772

IMG 3774

After I upcan and they go to the floor they'll be spread out and the two other lights will lower down and join the party

IMG 3776

IMG 3777

IMG 3779

IMG 3780

IMG 3781

Final veg setting on the light is 55% red, 60% white, & 60% blue. 18 on 6 since birth with a 10 minute sunrise/sunset effect

IMG 3783

IMG 3785

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

And try to grow some stinky weeds!
Trying some new stuff and figured I should probably write things down and take some pics or I might forget. The whole short term memory thing ya know.šŸ„“

These seeds are from a feminized 6 pack of Purple Crash (Sundae Driver x Purple Punch) by Greenpoint.
Bought the pack sometime last year, kept them in the fridge, and popped them this week.
Been using vertical germination (paper towels in DVD case) for maybe 10 years or so? Been a long time but now with a 3-D printer I made something specifically designed for popping sprouts. And yeah I get it. Mother Nature been popping beans for eons. A little dirt to cover 'em, some sun and water and there ya go. But I'm a stoner and we tend to over think and over engineer whenever possible so popping beans is no exception. And who knows. We might make a little magic in the process!šŸ˜‹

So this is my sprouting kit prototype dissembled and stuff needed to pop the beans. The next kit I make will be done with food grade plastic and have a little reservoir/carrying case

View attachment 1294950

beans in the channels

View attachment 1294949

Assembled with 3 seeds on one side of the divider and 3 on the other. I'm only doing six but this thing could pop 12 seeds at the same time

View attachment 1294942

Once some heads showed I took a looksy at how it's working. Nice and straight with no cross over or pig tails

View attachment 1294941

Let 'em go for another day and things start to work a little too well. Time to get 'em planted

View attachment 1294945

Kinda like handling a bare root clone but much more fragile

View attachment 1294946

I water my soil very well before planting then bore a hole with the handle of my garden claw. Insert the sprout holding it's head above the soil line then collapse the hole around the tap root and water it in

View attachment 1294951

View attachment 1294952

Light is at 10% output

View attachment 1294947

Room conditions are solid

View attachment 1294948

And away we go! Seems like everything is in order for a solid start so now it's just about being patient and watching. They'll probably spend the next 10 days or so establishing themselves with roots and baby leaves then start to take off at quick pace.

Nothing too elaborate as far as soil and nutes goes. They're in Roots 707 and 1 gallon airpots to start and later will be upcanned to 7 gallon pots filled with Roots Lush.
Nutes are Neptune's Harvest Liquid Fish and Seaweed, Mycos, Compost Tea, and Terp Tea.
My water is kinda special though. Deionized RO with UV purifying circulation in a 55 gallon barrel. Totally stripped down and as pure as it gets. No pH adjustments required.
Lights are CLW LED.

āœŒļø More fun coming soon......
Such an awesome creation! How do I buy one?

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Such an awesome creation! How do I buy one?
It's free to download but you'll need a micro SD card and access to a 3D printer. See below...

www.tinkercad.com

Tinkercad user Animal House.
www.tinkercad.com
www.tinkercad.com
For anybody who wants to make these it's super simple and you don't really need to own a 3-D printer if there's a place like some UPS stores have one for rent and even some public libraries have printers people can use for free.
So yeah go to my profile and click on a design. The design will come up in a window with an option to either tinker with it or download it as is. Click download and save it on your PC. Get a micro SD card, I prefer 8gb because my printer does not like bigger storage than that, and save the file on the SD card. Then you can take that card and plug it into a printer and print it out.
If a design I have is not public just let me know here and I'll open it up. Some are still a work in progress.

Top Bottom