A Forum Breeding Project (in more than 5 words)

• Thread starter Grownsince95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Once pollinated ,I grow for at least 6 more weeks to make mature seeds. There's a story about that but I will usually keep the male in the same room or tent. I shake the male everyday. Your done, it's pollinated. If outside, I place the pollen in a paper bag and place the bag over a nice bud for three days. There is a protocol for seed collection, and care which I will not address that with this post. Pollen can travel miles so be careful when pollinating.

It takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months to grow a flowering clone. I have one right now. Once it breaks the flowering stage, the bud will slowly deteriorate.
My experience so far has been that without wind or and kind of breeze the pollen just falls straight down. These were pollinated in an adjacent bedroom with no cross contamination in 2 other flowering tents 10 feet away...so it depends on how careful you are really. A squirt bottle of water goes a long way too imo. 👍

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I'd think they'd be weaker.
You want those goodness gracious plump and mature calyxes to receive pollen to make good seeds. The ones we'd prize as main colas, so too would they prize as their main seed development spots.
Interesting experiment nonetheless.
Look at the broad shoulders on this lady! Those preflower calyx look nice and fat too

20201219 104041
growsince79

growsince79

My experience so far has been that without wind or and kind of breeze the pollen just falls straight down. These were pollinated in an adjacent bedroom with no cross contamination in 2 other flowering tents 10 feet away...so it depends on how careful you are really. A squirt bottle of water goes a long way too imo. 👍
I agree. But all the plagiarized, copied word for word reurgitated internet 411 fake news says otherwise.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
I agree. But all the plagiarized, copied word for word reurgitated internet 411 fake news says otherwise.

I third that motion. Got all froggy with a Chemdog #4 and pollinated Astro Kush, Chemdog #4, LA Confidential with the paint brush method. On the Astro Kush I have three branches pollinated. 2 are Astro Kush x Astro Kush. The other is the Chemdog #4 x Astro Kush. Never did that before but why not. Anyone else done this before? Outcome?

TopherButler

TopherButler

The title says it all...

My goal for this thread is to create a forum based, community breeding project that serves as a hands-on educational resource for hobby breeders. This is in no way an attempt to create some hot new strain. But if eventually successful (million to 1 odds) the goal would be our own IBL.

Anyone who has contemplated pollinating their own flowers to create a hybrid and done some reading has come across intimidating statements like this: "you need a 1000 plants to breed correctly!" and "hobby breeders just chuck pollen and hope for the best"...while there's tons of truth to those statements, I think a lot of learning can be accomplished with much fewer plants. Even if its just finding some great moms along the way, it will be an opportunity to go step by step through the process together with some help from all of the experienced breeders here on the farm!

The plan is this:

1. Document and discuss the pollination of the P1 generation which I am about to do.
2. I will distribute the F1 seeds to the farmers.
3. Farmers grow out the first generation.
4. Great discussions happen!
5. Each farmer chooses two plants to cross and makes F2 seeds.

At this point things get way more loose and the real fun kicks in. The intent here is to create structure and organization without "rules" per se. Hopefully we will have participants that cover a wide rage of experience that can take this in many different directions. Some of us may want to collectively select for specific traits while some may want to go their own direction. All will be valuable to the learning experience as a whole.

Since we started from the same two parents, we will all be growing parallel genetic lines who's seeds can be traded between one another and back crossed or cloned etc as we see fit. I will keep the original parents for the entire run. However, it is important for each individual farmer to go at his or her own pace and skill level and obviously every grow will have it's limits.

The way we accomplish the organizational aspect is with a simple catalog system started from the very beginning. Each grower will be assigned a letter. This is followed by the generation, sex and plant number. A cross looks like this:

B0F01 x B0M01

B- Me, the grower
0- Generation, in this case 0 is the parents to the line
F- Sex of the plant. Male would be M
01- Plant number, always two digits.

My F1 cross might then look like this:

B1F05×B1M02

It will be up to each grower to catalog specific plant traits by plant # however they see fit, and due to the nature of the forum pictures and details should be very easy to share. There's power in numbers, but even if only a few of us participate, we should all learn a little more about hobby breeding and just how diverse and beautiful cannabis really is.

That being said, this will not be a seed giveaway. I'm not pretending to have crazy desirable genetics, but there's always people looking to take advantage. I will automatically include any thcfarmer patreon supporters and forum mods. After those criteria there's not a lot of actual metrics to judge by except a given member's activity on thcfarmer right? I think those of us that spend a good amount of time here get to know one another and the members who contribute to the community as a whole. I'm going to use my best judgment and be as inclusive as possible.

If everyone thinks I'm nuts and I wind up the only participant..? Then I'll have a mod move this to the grow diaries forum 🤣🌱
Hey I am new tow this all the way around an I have a good many baby's growing at all times wright now . I am very interested in this an am willing to give anything a shot .I am flowering in a 5x5 tent an have a veg room I kind of built to have the room for my uncontrollable love for growing now .. I am new to the farm also but I am learning a lot an learning the farm's way as I go .

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Welcome to the Farm! You're come to the right place. Stick around for all the fun!👍🌱

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
S
I’m in full pollen painting mode here and yes I have a very cherry straight male and female yay ..... Od .
Sweet! I was afraid to keep the flowers with my pollen because of the moisture when they break down. Any reason specifically why you do it that way?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
S
Sweet! I was afraid to keep the flowers with my pollen because of the moisture when they break down. Any reason specifically why you do it that way?
I though that as well , oh with the seed vials it’s just east to close the lid on flower stem to cut it off n capture it in one go, seems to be working . Od. Cheesedawg now crossed with Loctite Chocolate Tai male.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Ok been busy in the back yard breeding and I’ve got 2 new males to work and the older one well all I can say is he’s bagged n tagged like my ball sacks @amekins ...... 👀😉🤐 . Do you think my shaving was to much ........ Od

80B8A10D FDE2 405E 90D8 A76863BB7D75
AFEA6CF6 FAD0 4AA4 9DEB 27151600DC01
3235759B AC4E 4142 BBD0 80D7FB1CF31E
930A0C73 9715 405E 8DDE 0858F7EDAFF1
D32280EB 206F 42DF A0BF A33329D50A19
5E2B7BD0 990E 4D39 8B3A 0EA2571B197D
7B83A43C 2DF2 413F 9FFC 55FAA85C573F
14441A29 A570 466C A5E3 CD8C131D854D
8D27A459 625D 4EF8 A65D 0E514F0D0084
0F0DC1F6 3190 460A 821E 33636441DA7F
026B815F 63B1 4866 8AC0 6E03E732AB5D
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
100% still happening! Have about a week until harvest. Plants have been struggling but I have been pulling seeds steadily to check and they are progressing just fine. Amazing how resilient these gals are 👍

🌱

20210117 115402
20210117 115415
20210117 120241

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
So yeah this would be a good time to tell everyone still watching and interested to go ahead and DM me your info if you would like to participate. Will be mailing out by the end of Feb. 👍

Top Bottom