A Forum Breeding Project (in more than 5 words)

• Thread starter Grownsince95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
BB102F
20210516 195212

BB104F
20210516 195144

BB105F
20210516 195138

Beauty shot of 105 ❤🌱
IMG 20210516 220310 942

BB103M was my first male of the bunch...and if you you recall back a bunch of posts I tried the cut flowers in a vase "method" which was an utter failure. Zero pollen sacs actually opened. Going back to the drawing board on that one 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Im also back to hand watering and have consolidated my grow down to two tents for the time being for #reasons.

I'm 100% committed to only growing out the f-bombe plants now 💣

Last edited:
amekins

amekins

BB102F
View attachment 1125162

BB104F
View attachment 1125163

BB105F
View attachment 1125164

Beauty shot of 105 ❤🌱
View attachment 1125165

BB103M was my first male of the bunch...and if you you recall back a bunch of posts I tried the cut flowers in a vase "method" which was an utter failure. Zero pollen sacs actually opened. Going back to the drawing board on that one 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Im also back to hand watering and have consolidated my grow down to two tents for the time being for #reasons.

I'm 100% committed to only growing out the f-bombe plants now 💣
Well that’s back up from just one tent, right?

SSgrower

SSgrower

Nice grow going, I am about to buy another tent myself as I have seedlings in my flower tent on 12/12 time.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

The title says it all...

My goal for this thread is to create a forum based, community breeding project that serves as a hands-on educational resource for hobby breeders. This is in no way an attempt to create some hot new strain. But if eventually successful (million to 1 odds) the goal would be our own IBL.

Anyone who has contemplated pollinating their own flowers to create a hybrid and done some reading has come across intimidating statements like this: "you need a 1000 plants to breed correctly!" and "hobby breeders just chuck pollen and hope for the best"...while there's tons of truth to those statements, I think a lot of learning can be accomplished with much fewer plants. Even if its just finding some great moms along the way, it will be an opportunity to go step by step through the process together with some help from all of the experienced breeders here on the farm!

The plan is this:

1. Document and discuss the pollination of the P1 generation which I am about to do.
2. I will distribute the F1 seeds to the farmers.
3. Farmers grow out the first generation.
4. Great discussions happen!
5. Each farmer chooses two plants to cross and makes F2 seeds.

At this point things get way more loose and the real fun kicks in. The intent here is to create structure and organization without "rules" per se. Hopefully we will have participants that cover a wide rage of experience that can take this in many different directions. Some of us may want to collectively select for specific traits while some may want to go their own direction. All will be valuable to the learning experience as a whole.

Since we started from the same two parents, we will all be growing parallel genetic lines who's seeds can be traded between one another and back crossed or cloned etc as we see fit. I will keep the original parents for the entire run. However, it is important for each individual farmer to go at his or her own pace and skill level and obviously every grow will have it's limits.

The way we accomplish the organizational aspect is with a simple catalog system started from the very beginning. Each grower will be assigned a letter. This is followed by the generation, sex and plant number. A cross looks like this:

B0F01 x B0M01

B- Me, the grower
0- Generation, in this case 0 is the parents to the line
F- Sex of the plant. Male would be M
01- Plant number, always two digits.

My F1 cross might then look like this:

B1F05×B1M02

It will be up to each grower to catalog specific plant traits by plant # however they see fit, and due to the nature of the forum pictures and details should be very easy to share. There's power in numbers, but even if only a few of us participate, we should all learn a little more about hobby breeding and just how diverse and beautiful cannabis really is.

That being said, this will not be a seed giveaway. I'm not pretending to have crazy desirable genetics, but there's always people looking to take advantage. I will automatically include any thcfarmer patreon supporters and forum mods. After those criteria there's not a lot of actual metrics to judge by except a given member's activity on thcfarmer right? I think those of us that spend a good amount of time here get to know one another and the members who contribute to the community as a whole. I'm going to use my best judgment and be as inclusive as possible.

If everyone thinks I'm nuts and I wind up the only participant..? Then I'll have a mod move this to the grow diaries forum 🤣🌱
How do I partake in this community collaboration?

amekins

amekins

Male- sorry late to the party! Lol
They were both boys and clones were taken so I can flower much smaller versions for pollen. Right now, they’re enjoying the window sill. AB105M was culled Sunday. Except for the large air pocket, the roots looked healthy. Both plants were incredibly hearty.
139A86E2 06A8 4424 AF6A 5E6D0757516F
D702515C BCB2 45BC A3C8 DF3AE0B029AE
F2420651 E9A9 45E3 8856 3577BB93713C
D88AA994 3CD6 4B97 AFF8 9A93355336DB

amekins

amekins

One rooted clone each (so far) of AB108M and AB105M. They are outside in a shaded area currently and after hardening off, they’ll spend 12 hrs outside and 12 hrs in darkness (far away from my flowering ladies). With any luck, I can collect a little pollen from each.
11D1A9EA 4E99 4588 8219 F0DE7F57E158

amekins

amekins

Week 2 of flower for my two little male clones, AB105M and AB108M. I did take a couple of other cuts that have rooted and are following sunrise and sunset. In case I really screwed up and hacked female plants. Just in case.
7476ECBF C340 4C45 AB5F 381D6510C953
E27C7A67 66CE 4DD5 A2E1 41ABDB0A0B5C
F83B289C F2D2 43AF 8767 1979F8170C9B

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

I’m literally a reading this and taking notes 😂 but I’m really confused on what F1 means sorry .. starting first grow in a couple weeks stay tuned really into the whole process of cross breeding and super thankful for this post 💚

amekins

amekins

I’m literally a reading this and taking notes 😂 but I’m really confused on what F1 means sorry .. starting first grow in a couple weeks stay tuned really into the whole process of cross breeding and super thankful for this post 💚
F1 = filial one, or first child.

amekins

amekins

Brief update. Apparently I suck at sexing plants. It turns out that I have one male (AB105M) and one female (AB108F). I had taken two additional clones of AB108F when I thought she was a he and just wanted practice cloning. I tossed the other one just the other day (not to mention the original mother culled earlier). But thankfully, I still have this clone vegging in a little grow sack. She has truly earned a good uppottimg. I can grow her out all summer along with my HSC photo strains.

Can someone help me determine in what timeframe to expect pollen sacs to develop/mature/open? I want to collect and save the viable pollen from AB105M and not have it pollenate any of the ladies. Yesterday was the first the pollen sacs really started to become visible. I think we had a lot of rain and I suspect that some nutrient lockout happened but should be resolving. AB108F looked the same until yesterday when she greened up and popped some pistils (leading to my “oh fuck that was such a beautiful mother I culled”). So, should AB105M be segregated from here on out? Will a kitchen window sill do for light until the sacs open and pollen is collected? Then I can cull the plant. TIA.

AB108F flowering outdoors/kitchen cupboard.
C89815E3 D739 4357 BE8F 5D5E9F43CAD4

Also AB108F, vegging outdoors. Being uppotted today.
87C9E438 3159 437A 823A 182342E0BE0D
2BCE4143 333A 47B2 ADC0 DCBFE8A4C829

AB105M
58E715D3 0481 4535 A004 F51C73FF0C7D
16024815 7865 41FE 9652 B7A1C0DFC626

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Brief update. Apparently I suck at sexing plants. It turns out that I have one male (AB105M) and one female (AB108F). I had taken two additional clones of AB108F when I thought she was a he and just wanted practice cloning. I tossed the other one just the other day (not to mention the original mother culled earlier). But thankfully, I still have this clone vegging in a little grow sack. She has truly earned a good uppottimg. I can grow her out all summer along with my HSC photo strains.

Can someone help me determine in what timeframe to expect pollen sacs to develop/mature/open? I want to collect and save the viable pollen from AB105M and not have it pollenate any of the ladies. Yesterday was the first the pollen sacs really started to become visible. I think we had a lot of rain and I suspect that some nutrient lockout happened but should be resolving. AB108F looked the same until yesterday when she greened up and popped some pistils (leading to my “oh fuck that was such a beautiful mother I culled”). So, should AB105M be segregated from here on out? Will a kitchen window sill do for light until the sacs open and pollen is collected? Then I can cull the plant. TIA.

AB108F flowering outdoors/kitchen cupboard.
View attachment 1137224

Also AB108F, vegging outdoors. Being uppotted today.
View attachment 1137226View attachment 1137227

AB105M
View attachment 1137225View attachment 1137228
Unreal Lady now that is fantastic to see . Od .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Can you provide some insight on when and how best fo collect that pollen?
Yes sure because you do not need much pollen I would strip all the flower bar the top of the plant this reduces the amount of flower first of all makes it easier to handle his balls so to speak keep them in a good easy accessibly to get to the flower with a clean paint brush and for you style I’d say you would have small cup cake paper pan liner you can gentle caress his balls to drop the goods in the paper tray your holding in the palm of your hand , use the brush to dip in the love juice n get that girl n teach here the birds n bees ….. rubber gloves may be used but that really kills the mood n the feel ……… oh shit sorry that’s the wrong forum ….. my wife just asked if it was giving out marital advice I said yes it’s called ask old Od he will tell you straight …..😉🤪👌

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Can you provide some insight on when and how best fo collect that pollen?
OK so Im not trying be a Debby downer or rain on anyones parade but honestly I have tried to preserve male pollen in the past many times and it almost never works. Seeds can last for years but the viability of male pollen falls off the cliff after a short period of time. The storage elements have to be absolutely spot on and it must remain super dry and cool any moisture at all will kill the viability of the pollen. It is my experience that if you want to do breeding you should do so when the male and female plants are both in the same sexual maturity window. If you can I would run a little male clone and a little female clone side by side and let them seed naturally. Holding the pollen for a future fertilization date may end up being a giant waste of time. Everything One Drop recommend is spot on and will work great so long as your using that male pollen in a relatively quick timeframe. This is my $0.02 for whatever its worth. Peace ✌️

Top Bottom