A Little Harvest Help Please

• Thread starter WiffyBead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xenon730

xenon730

I've taken 3 clones from the first crop in total. Attempted the cuppa water method with light and without. Both failed. The only successful clone I have had was rooting powder directly into soil. I've repeated the process with the six I took last night. Hopefully with the larger number taken I can get an idea if the success rate of this method. I was incredibly impressed that after only two weeks the first clone was already sending thick roots out of the bottom of a quarter gallon pot and a gaggle of gorgeous roots along the side of the pot. I did start another seed of her strain (no idea the strain but I kept the bagseed from each bag I got seperate from one another) and she also had quick strong roots so it's probably genetics more than my amazing green thumb.
that's very similar to what i left for advice for ya just using soil instead of plugs or peat pucks. Don't do cups for reliable clones when you're newer to cloning. Peat pucks and plugs are earlier than straight soil btw and peat pucks are very cheap. They hold moisture better and don't have nutrients in it that that clone doesnt need. In the end, keep it simple and do what works. Don't let your method get crazy, its unnecessary and will lengthen the amount of time it takes for them to root.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

i hope peat picks work better for clones than they do for seeds. Haven't had a successful seed yet using the pucks.

So I'm going to be putting the one lil lady into complete darkness tomorrow. Do I continue with fans and exhaust or just let her sit in the cabinet like a prisoner of war sentenced to time in the box to break her spirit and soften her up for deep interrogation?

xenon730

xenon730

i hope peat picks work better for clones than they do for seeds. Haven't had a successful seed yet using the pucks.

So I'm going to be putting the one lil lady into complete darkness tomorrow. Do I continue with fans and exhaust or just let her sit in the cabinet like a prisoner of war sentenced to time in the box to break her spirit and soften her up for deep interrogation?
I let the air run. You still want her to breathe well and not sit in moisture. The purpose of the air movement is still there. You're putting them in the dark to stop the light from damaging the compounds in the resin and to stop her from photosynthesizing to keep the chlorophyll content low. I believe you are probably overwatering the pucks. That's the cause of most failed seeds. People drown their seeds, the dead roots attract gnats and blame everything but their overwatering. Its easy to drown seeds. I water pucks every 4 or 5 or 6 days usually. Too dry for one day won't kill a seed, too wet for one day can.

MW7945

MW7945

Lol! A cat :). There do appear to be a few kitty hairs in there eh? I started the flush on the last watering

I'm battling this same problem. Extremely fine haired cat that goes nuts every time I open the door. The dog isn't helping matters either.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

That I should a distinct possibility. Water!! They need water!! More more more! Whaddya gonna do? Carry on and try again doing things differently and research research research right? In regards to my cat issue (she just loves hanging out and smelling and watching, Um...and eating the ones I pull lol) are you pro or con on the whole bud washing xenon? Like so many subjects with cannabis growing there are at least two schools of thought and both are adamant! I think I'm going to wash one branch and keep her seperate from the others to see if there is a difference. Would be nice to NOT smoke my cat and all my skin cells n dust and so on. Definitely not willing to if it means a loss in potency tho.

xenon730

xenon730

That I should a distinct possibility. Water!! They need water!! More more more! Whaddya gonna do? Carry on and try again doing things differently and research research research right? In regards to my cat issue (she just loves hanging out and smelling and watching, Um...and eating the ones I pull lol) are you pro or con on the whole bud washing xenon? Like so many subjects with cannabis growing there are at least two schools of thought and both are adamant! I think I'm going to wash one branch and keep her seperate from the others to see if there is a difference. Would be nice to NOT smoke my cat and all my skin cells n dust and so on. Definitely not willing to if it means a loss in potency tho.
definitely not for washing it. the resin is hydrophobic for one. all you'd be doing is knocking off heads and putting moisture where it shouldnt go. theres no way it's rinsing the resin clean, maybe rinsing some off, but it's not cleaning anything. once something is in the resin, it's in it forever. take a bud on a plant, pour pepper on it, rinse it under water. none of the pepper comes off that is in the resin. i haven't done this with pepper but i've done it with fungus gnat bodies and they stayed put. the bottom line is you're smoking a sticky plant. it's going to be impure. you already smoke your dog and cats hair and skin and saliva smoking bud you don't produce. and if they had a dog, you smoked their dog too. it's nothing to worry about and nothing good can come of dunking or rinsing your buds in water, seriously. i have a husky in one of my grow houses and his hair is all over all of it. i smoke that room myself exclusively just because of that but i can tell you that once it's dry, theres not noticeable hair on the bud. as the resin dries you can pull the hairs off, fracturing the now dry resin without rinsing a ton off when it's wet. it seems to let go of the hair as it dries a bit also. when i'm on later maybe ill post some dog hair plant and buds later to show you what i'm talking about. As a general rule though that's way too rough for the buds and will surely lower the potency and flavor and aroma just by the physical agitation alone. it will for sure knock off and rinse off glands full of thc. You want to be as gentle with your buds as possible as you've seen what it looks like under a microscope. imagine that it was all a weak glass. would shaking it in water pop some of those heads off? for sure it would, soft or hard. you just never want to be agitating your nugs or wrapping them in anything, including water. you can imagine what is happening on a microscopic level when you touch a bud, put it in a static bag, knock it against a glass jar, etc. and every agitation most likely removes some glands(heads). that would be like a ton of those agitations at once.

Last edited:
WiffyBead

WiffyBead

They were not washed. Harvest is complete, and they are drying now! I want to thank everyone who helped us get here today, without whom none of this would have been possible :). Special thanks to Xenon730! You were right there with us and our horrendous pile of questions. Now that I have seen the results they definitely could have cooked for another week or more, but I'm happy with the end result. 8 colas in all (last cola was not snapped. Inadvertently got two pictures of one instead).

IMG 3523
IMG 3524
IMG 3525
IMG 3526
IMG 3528
IMG 3530
IMG 3531

xenon730

xenon730

They were not washed. Harvest is complete, and they are drying now! I want to thank everyone who helped us get here today, without whom none of this would have been possible :). Special thanks to Xenon730! You were right there with us and our horrendous pile of questions. Now that I have seen the results they definitely could have cooked for another week or more, but I'm happy with the end result. 8 colas in all (last cola was not snapped. Inadvertently got two pictures of one instead).

View attachment 733965 View attachment 733966 View attachment 733967 View attachment 733968 View attachment 733969 View attachment 733970 View attachment 733971
your first harvest is usually your earliest harvest. Could have gone maybe a couple even, ripening can happen really fast or really slow. Keep in mind every plant, not strain, is different! That will be fine smoke though. I particularly like the third photo from the top. That's my favorite type of bud structure currently. You have more plants cooking right now too right? Wow some of that looks fat. Those fatties nice and solid? Looks good.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Thanks! Yes, two more gals that are within a few weeks and the clone took the place of the girl that was sacrificed today. The harvested nugs feels like theres a baseball buried in there, fiiiiirm! Even the little gals at the bottom are nice and stiff. Placed the stump with a single popcorn bud into the clone box under 24h light. Single 13 watt cfl. Hoping she can reveg enough to get some clones and preserve her genetics.

The girl in the front should be a much larger harvest than the first girl, and she had a mid flower mishap with the lights and snapped off two tops :(
IMG 3532

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Quick update. Harvested plant is dried and in the curing jar. 17.2 g dried. Pretty happy getting over an ounce off my first plant and the smallest of the three

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Wh
Next time I would trim dry and hang whole plant
Whole plant is something I might try but I definitely do not like dry trimming. I've trimmed with a couple buddies in the past and completely prefer the wet trim process. Dry is too much work and I'm turning the trim into oil. Are there benefits that make the pain worth it?

Leew421

Leew421

I like the end result of the slower drying process and the leaves and stems together will ensure its slow enough.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Quick update. Harvested plant is dried and in the curing jar. 17.2 g dried. Pretty happy getting over an ounce off my first plant and the smallest of the three

Edit: Oh the pain! When I realized my math was crazy off. 16 oz to a lb not 16 g to a oz. :(. So sad. Little over half an ounce .61 oz. :). Oh well still pretty happy lol

CIRE408

CIRE408

definitely not for washing it. the resin is hydrophobic for one. all you'd be doing is knocking off heads and putting moisture where it shouldnt go. theres no way it's rinsing the resin clean, maybe rinsing some off, but it's not cleaning anything. once something is in the resin, it's in it forever. take a bud on a plant, pour pepper on it, rinse it under water. none of the pepper comes off that is in the resin. i haven't done this with pepper but i've done it with fungus gnat bodies and they stayed put. the bottom line is you're smoking a sticky plant. it's going to be impure. you already smoke your dog and cats hair and skin and saliva smoking bud you don't produce. and if they had a dog, you smoked their dog too. it's nothing to worry about and nothing good can come of dunking or rinsing your buds in water, seriously. i have a husky in one of my grow houses and his hair is all over all of it. i smoke that room myself exclusively just because of that but i can tell you that once it's dry, theres not noticeable hair on the bud. as the resin dries you can pull the hairs off, fracturing the now dry resin without rinsing a ton off when it's wet. it seems to let go of the hair as it dries a bit also. when i'm on later maybe ill post some dog hair plant and buds later to show you what i'm talking about. As a general rule though that's way too rough for the buds and will surely lower the potency and flavor and aroma just by the physical agitation alone. it will for sure knock off and rinse off glands full of thc. You want to be as gentle with your buds as possible as you've seen what it looks like under a microscope. imagine that it was all a weak glass. would shaking it in water pop some of those heads off? for sure it would, soft or hard. you just never want to be agitating your nugs or wrapping them in anything, including water. you can imagine what is happening on a microscopic level when you touch a bud, put it in a static bag, knock it against a glass jar, etc. and every agitation most likely removes some glands(heads). that would be like a ton of those agitations at once.
Have you tried washing before? Because I have and noticed no loss in potency or stickiness. Oh and the smell almost smells enhanced!!

fatawa

fatawa

Edit: Oh the pain! When I realized my math was crazy off. 16 oz to a lb not 16 g to a oz. :(. So sad. Little over half an ounce .61 oz. :). Oh well still pretty happy lol
lol.i was gonna call u out on that but i seen u already noticed.ha.n you probably would of had a zip.imo you was still in swell.let all the hairs turn orange n pull back n buds,you still hav alot of yellow on the ones u trimmd(n showd pics).can still be good smoke tho so no worries.being patient is the hardest part bout growing

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Depends on what kind of high you like! Looking at your trichomes, I'd say peck harvest window is open and should stay open for a few days to a couple weeks. If you want a more calming relaxed high, then let the trichomes degrade a little more, But if it's a heavy indica strain then to much degrade will make it couch and fridge weed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom