A Month In On 8 Gelato

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dutchcity

Dutchcity

Picture 2 is more or less good. So next time, lollipop before the flip, and wait to do what u just did till day 21, and again on day 42.

That way, all the extra force the plant puts out in these few weeks will be put to maximum use.
Well said.

S

Shawnery

I did lollipop before flip and it just ended up needing a lot more. Twice more to be exact for a total of three pops.

Now that I know what the finished product "should" look like I'll do better the first go around.

First photo is the first time I popped it before flip, the second photo is this time. This second photo is a much better pic of the finished product this time around.

20180424 150613
20180508 201130
Last edited:
Junk

Junk

Strain review says Gelato is a difficult to grow and I believe it.
Its actually an easy one, you just didn't work efficiently your first time with it. Next time u will get it perfect.

It bushes out more than than many strains, you were just taken by surprise.

Junk

Junk

Also it looks like u vegged for too long. Some of ur probs are due to that. I did 4 weeks with gelato and it was too much. Should have flipped at 3. Dwc is very fast after the flip so it's easy to overshoot it.

S

Shawnery

My branches were so tiny at 3 weeks. I can't imagine they would hold any weight. They're barely any size right now. But I guess smaller would also be less too heavy.

Why is taller not a good option with this strain? I know it's considered a short strain about 3 feet tall is what I read.

Junk

Junk

My branches were so tiny at 3 weeks. I can't imagine they would hold any weight. They're barely any size right now. But I guess smaller would also be less too heavy.
That's part of the illusion that throws us off. After u flip in dwc, if u leave them untouched, they go crazy with growth. And in dwc, they pick up speed even in veg as more roots hit the water. The speed at which they grow, is not linear...it's progressively faster.

Which means that for a "perfect" run, u have to know when to hit the switch...and the window between under vegged and over vegged, is small. It takes practice. I was always flipping them late.

S

Shawnery

So it's only 2 yearly because of The Strain not in general? I was always under the impression that height equals more buds?

Dutchcity

Dutchcity

So it's only 2 yearly because of The Strain not in general? I was always under the impression that height equals more buds?
I was under the impression that it’s the number of tops exposed to the maximum (ideal) micromoles available of light, with the right nutrients.

Internodal length will determentially effect yield if the internodes are too far spaced apart as well, not leading to that optimal “stacking” effect

Dutchcity

Dutchcity

I did lollipop before flip and it just ended up needing a lot more. Twice more to be exact for a total of three pops.

Now that I know what the finished product "should" look like I'll do better the first go around.

First photo is the first time I popped it before flip, the second photo is this time. This second photo is a much better pic of the finished product this time around.
You have a lot of small spindley growth that are not going to yield very big buds. It looks super crowded on that first plant there. The quality and space you give your tops is so critical as well as the number of them, but it’s the blance were after.

As an experiment, I would go through on one of them and thin out a lot of those spindley branches and let that girl breath some.

S

Shawnery

My biggest mistake was allowing sub branches on my main colas, I think. One of my plants is so spindly that after I cleaned them out a couple days ago in entire half of the plant couldn't stand up on their own. I ended up tieing them to my lights and worked very well. I'm hoping in the next few weeks they'll bulk up a little.

Junk

Junk

My biggest mistake was allowing sub branches on my main colas, I think. One of my plants is so spindly that after I cleaned them out a couple days ago in entire half of the plant couldn't stand up on their own. I ended up tieing them to my lights and worked very well. I'm hoping in the next few weeks they'll bulk up a little.
They will bulk up a lot, but not for a couple weeks.

in dwc I never go more than 4 weeks veg, or else it gets too crowded after the flip. Usually I do 3 weeks. I know u think otherwise, but vegging too long caused most of ur problem. I've been where u are. You need to flip way sooner.

It's strain specific, but u will get a feel for it. Timing it right will save u much work later.

S

Shawnery

I don't think either way. I dont have enough experience to have an educated opinion on the subject. I just made an assumption is all based on nothing more than, bigger is better.

I can totally see how 4 weeks would be better though. Next time I think I'll do some kind of scrog again.

Junk

Junk

I don't think either way. I dont have enough experience to have an educated opinion on the subject. I just made an assumption is all based on nothing more than, bigger is better.

I can totally see how 4 weeks would be better though. Next time I think I'll do some kind of scrog again.
For rdwc Scrog is easiest overall imo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom