A new motivation to keep growing. What's yours?

• Thread starter Cirroji
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Zazzy! I just snagged a 2x4 to use as a drying tent since I didn't want to stop growing in either of my other 2 lol.

And that's quite a harvest!

Now I'm debating if I need a tent if I decide to use my spare room or not since it's a south facing room. I get sun in there pretty much all day. I could get a few lights and just have it on for extra lighting during the day (or for the shorter winter days) if necessary.

Actually, come to think of it, I probably should get a tent. I seem to get a fair amount of those stink bugs each year, no matter wtf I do, and I'd be really annoyed finding their eggs on my food plants. Though maybe there's a few flowers I could plant that would keep them away. Guess I'll be doing some research tonight.
Those damn things fly into my tent every time I open it. So damn many around my area. So then I have to spend 20 minutes hunting the little sucker down and gettin it out lol

E

elusiveshame

Those damn things fly into my tent every time I open it. So damn many around my area. So then I have to spend 20 minutes hunting the little sucker down and gettin it out lol
Lavender and marigolds repel them supposedly. Lavender is apparently toxic to cats, and I guess certain marigolds are as well (same with dogs), but I’ll just close that room off to them.

And yeah, those fuckers get everywhere. I find dead ones in my sock drawer all the time. And once in a while a surprise one under my sheets.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Lavender and marigolds repel them supposedly. Lavender is apparently toxic to cats, and I guess certain marigolds are as well (same with dogs), but I’ll just close that room off to them.

And yeah, those fuckers get everywhere. I find dead ones in my sock drawer all the time. And once in a while a surprise one under my sheets.
Yeah that could be a problem for me haha

On the plus side the cats do hunt anything that moves 😂… yeah I have 3/4 of an acre fenced in so plenty of room for the dogs to run lol

I do have TONs of lavender outside as well as I line the whole house with marigolds every year, (well my wife and daughter do the flowers) last year I had a 1’x4’ section of the side of my house (outside) completely covered solid with them as well as those black ones with the red dots on their back (box elder bug? I can’t remember)

Sprayed them down with some ortho and watched them just drop right off the house lol, I believe they are attracted to the house because I live in a full log construction home so bugs in general are my enemy especially termites, I gotta stain the whole house as well as the new fence (fence this year house next year)

No my home does not smell like animals, people are shocked when we let the dogs in and then they see cats and realize we have a ton of animals lol. My wife is a Psychopath when it comes to cleaning and smells lol, luckily she likes the smell of my buds 😁

AEBDC566 A746 4260 81E4 EE456D967AEF
AE376AB6 4430 42B6 8BD0 ECC1E92CB439
C5E0B1F4 C56C 47D2 AF84 14EB213E4F4A
86D04F3D C620 4B7B 82B1 290712E76246
E

elusiveshame

Yeah that could be a problem for me haha

On the plus side the cats do hunt anything that moves 😂… yeah I have 3/4 of an acre fenced in so plenty of room for the dogs to run lol

I do have TONs of lavender outside as well as I line the whole house with marigolds every year, (well my wife and daughter do the flowers) last year I had a 1’x4’ section of the side of my house (outside) completely covered solid with them as well as those black ones with the red dots on their back (box elder bug? I can’t remember)

Sprayed them down with some ortho and watched them just drop right off the house lol, I believe they are attracted to the house because I live in a full log construction home so bugs in general are my enemy especially termites, I gotta stain the whole house as well as the new fence (fence this year house next year)

No my home does not smell like animals, people are shocked when we let the dogs in and then they see cats and realize we have a ton of animals lol. My wife is a Psychopath when it comes to cleaning and smells lol, luckily she likes the smell of my buds 😁
Nice fur family!

Speaking of your outside garden, I noticed you had it fenced off with chicken wire and such. What’d you use to make a door? I need to construct one or 2 of these this spring, and the door is the part that’s stumping me without having to spend a fair amount.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Nice fur family!

Speaking of your outside garden, I noticed you had it fenced off with chicken wire and such. What’d you use to make a door? I need to construct one or 2 of these this spring, and the door is the part that’s stumping me without having to spend a fair amount.
Thank you 😁

Honestly since the chicken wire is always trying to retain its circular shape it comes in, I just put in one of the green posts at the end of the fence line and I leave an extra 10” on the chicken wire length and just hook it around the post, dogs can’t open it since it has to be pulled around the post or it’ll hook onto the hangers.

Here’s an early season pic and a video not long after planting 40’x60’ - ish, gotta get 10 more yards of compost this year, the whole garden is 100% compost started with 2 layers of cardboard under all of it (luckily we just moved and had about 100 moving boxes lol (cannot have any shiny material on it no tape etc, mine where all the large Home Depot boxes, it’s a permaculture garden, no neuts or ferts used just water all season and re-layer with compost the next season

5BD49B3E C0D6 4E1B 86A6 2E5E169BACF0
Last edited:
Laurie22

Laurie22

We all have different reasons why we grow. This is a strong ass one of them for me - what made you grow??

BTW - that tax is on 3g of concentrate

View attachment 1329603
Well, yeah, the cost, but my ‘reintroduction’ came as a result of a cancer diagnosis. Told me stage 4, wasn’t gonna live too terribly long so why not. It makes me feel better.

And then, holy crap, 4 cancers later (2 stage 4) I’m still here! They can’t explain. I believe there is a connection between the cancer and the marijuana. I am not willing to test the theroy by quitting though.

Besides, soilid mediative activity.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Well, yeah, the cost, but my ‘reintroduction’ came as a result of a cancer diagnosis. Told me stage 4, wasn’t gonna live too terribly long so why not. It makes me feel better.

And then, holy crap, 4 cancers later (2 stage 4) I’m still here! They can’t explain. I believe there is a connection between the cancer and the marijuana. I am not willing to test the theroy by quitting though.

Besides, soilid mediative activity.

My mother in law is a multiple cancer survivor diagnosed stage 4 twice, one resulting in a full hysterectomy , she dosent like smoking but will eat edibles, she just had her annual cancer screening…. Still in remission

Glad to hear it helped you as well!

She loves coming to our house she knows she’ll get hooked up, last time she left with a pint jar of butter and a quart of flower for my brother in law and father in law lol 😂

E

elusiveshame

Thank you 😁

Honestly since the chicken wire is always trying to retain its circular shape it comes in, I just put in one of the green posts at the end of the fence line and I leave an extra 10” on the chicken wire length and just hook it around the post, dogs can’t open it since it has to be pulled around the post or it’ll hook onto the hangers.

Here’s an early season pic and a video not long after planting 40’x60’ - ish, gotta get 10 more yards of compost this year, the whole garden is 100% compost started with 2 layers of cardboard under all of it (luckily we just moved and had about 100 moving boxes lol (cannot have any shiny material on it no tape etc, mine where all the large Home Depot boxes, it’s a permaculture garden, no neuts or ferts used just water all season and re-layer with compost the next season
Clever!!

That’s a beautiful garden. I won’t have anything that big, but I’ll have hopefully 2 sections + whatever I can fit on my deck. I’ll have to put up some chicken wire along my deck railings as well since I’ve caught bunnies up on there (and a skunk).

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Clever!!

That’s a beautiful garden. I won’t have anything that big, but I’ll have hopefully 2 sections + whatever I can fit on my deck. I’ll have to put up some chicken wire along my deck railings as well since I’ve caught bunnies up on there (and a skunk).
I’m pretty confident that the bunnies etc can’t get in I’ve done pretty decent work sealing up along the ground, fence was mostly to train the dogs, I had them walking through during late summer and they did good staying out of the beds I’d like to take it down this year but may wait for one more, wife wants me to add about 15-20’ to the length and bring it to about 80ish feet long but damn it’s a lot of work lol, I wheelbarrow the compost all by hand all the way back to the garden I got 10cu yards last year was quite a lot but I’ll still need more lol

I only use compost from one company local to me they make organic dark leaf compost, the still of like gold lol

The cardboard that you put under it kills off the weeds, I probably spent less than 5 hours through all summer pulling any weeds out of there

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Well, yeah, the cost, but my ‘reintroduction’ came as a result of a cancer diagnosis.
This happened to me as well. I'm fighting cancer with Cannabis. Prognosis for my cancer is 90% chance I should be dead in two years. I am 18 months in treating with Cannabis oil and doing well. I have bad days, nights, and weeks sometimes, but for the most part, I am active and enjoying what time I have left here in this world. I also find great solitude in growing these beautiful plants that God gave us all. No chemo, no radiation, no big pharma.

S

Sameperson775

growing is peaceful once you get settled in to the routine..
i just enjoy making my own hashish and oil etc.. and way cheaper..
i used to pay anywhere from $6500-$8200 canadian for a kilo of hashish..
I hand water in coco, not very peaceful in my routine🤣

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
We all have different reasons why we grow. This is a strong ass one of them for me - what made you grow??

View attachment 1329603
Well that's a sad sight, $82.50 tax, that's a 38% tax on a $220 purchase. Do the budtenders at the dispensary have a gun and ski mask on while they're robbing you of your money???

It's not any better back home in the Garden State. My brother pays $65 for a half gram in most dispensaries when he needs to. Not too many options in NJ as of right now thanks to the corrupt government restricting people from starting their own businesses. I get 5 grams of very high quality concentrates for $100 up here in Maine, tax brings the total to $108.25. I will eventually be producing my own concentrates using a rosin press.

I can certainly see States passing laws to restrict your rights to produce a plant on your own property like NJ does. It always has been and always will be about the money for the greedy people who are in "power".

I fell in love with growing Cannabis as soon as I started researching the plant. First blunt I ever smoked was the fall of my senior year in high school, started illegally growing in the backyard the following spring. I've been growing in some capacity ever since, going on my 14th year growing. I do it for the high quality flower at a significantly reduced cost to supply family, friends, and myself. The main reason I grow though is because I genuinely enjoy the process. I love seeing the growth of a seed into a seedling, develop in the vegetative cycle, I enjoy defoliating/lollipopping/training, and seeing it through to a mature plant for harvest. Hopefully I'l be able to see the dream through this year, gain my license to legally cultivate Cannabis in the State of Maine, and earn a living doing what I love to do.

"Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Mark Twain

"The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle." - Steve Jobs

NotSure

NotSure

My Brides spinal stenosis and Tarlov cyst caused her debilitating pain for years, which MDs treated with opioids. Surgery would have been a cure, worse or no change in her condition and everyone knows where opioids take you.
Now, off the opioids for 7 years and smoking weed since. Street was reasonable, Medical became legal where we live a few years ago. Prices at the dispo are nearly twice Street. So, enter the grow. Even my worst crop has been better than Street or dispo. I hope one day I can overcome my paranoia and post diaries and photos, not legal to grow for any reason here yet. Man, I want to move it outdoors so bad.

Laurie22

Laurie22

This happened to me as well. I'm fighting cancer with Cannabis. Prognosis for my cancer is 90% chance I should be dead in two years. I am 18 months in treating with Cannabis oil and doing well. I have bad days, nights, and weeks sometimes, but for the most part, I am active and enjoying what time I have left here in this world. I also find great solitude in growing these beautiful plants that God gave us all. No chemo, no radiation, no big pharma.
My prognosis was 5%. I handed back the paper, thanked them for the info, and told them those weren’t my numbers!! ❤️ That was over six years ago. I feel great, no more treatments.

I am such a novice grower I’m a bit embarrassed. My son gave me a 4x8x6 tent and light for mother’s day so I began playing. My first 2 harvests were small, but for me, perfect. Then, I accepted clone without quarantining it - what a mess. Long story short, I’m starting fresh.

Live your peace, I know I do.

Laurie22

Laurie22

My mother in law is a multiple cancer survivor diagnosed stage 4 twice, one resulting in a full hysterectomy , she dosent like smoking but will eat edibles, she just had her annual cancer screening…. Still in remission

Glad to hear it helped you as well!

She loves coming to our house she knows she’ll get hooked up, last time she left with a pint jar of butter and a quart of flower for my brother in law and father in law lol 😂
Love it!!!

mrfreeze682

mrfreeze682

what motivates my grow? well my mom got me into gardening and she passed recently and i just had my
first born son and got another on the way 🤫. Bills Bills Bills…. plus weed and serenity. started my first grow the other day and its gona be a wild ride cuz its on a budget lol. but me n my son will cultivate and ill pass on my greenthumb to him from his grandma…
my son says hi 👋!

7A469F44 7843 472D 8B30 44AD3D931205
MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

View attachment 1329603
Damn that’s a fine example of politicians not caring about anything else but money. I don’t think I would ever be okay paying all those taxes, seems like the states trying to tax these businesses into non existence.

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

I thought that taxes were high in Massachusetts, but for what you paid in taxes in Illinois you could have covered almost the full price of 4grams of extract here before taxes. Which is roughly 20%.
31F85EC7 2083 4128 A42C C72338AC753F
31F85EC7 2083 4128 A42C C72338AC753F

Top Bottom