Adding Nutrients to Tap Water thats already 500ppms

• Thread starter YoungDro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

YoungDro

If I was going to be following dds nutrient schedule exactly, and the water read 500ppms already and say Its first week of flower and I need 1000ppms....do I add 500ppms. or do I exclude the 500ppms thats already in the water because its not useful... ? Or maybe just comphensate for half -250ppms...

I would really like to know this important detail thanks

E

edux10

who knows what that 500ppm could be. I would suggest getting good clean water by any means necessary but if you are going to use that h2o no matter what, disregaurd that 500ppm. If could be cal/mg it could not be cal/mg or any other thing out there. Just mix your nutes to their levels without adding that 500ppm. if you see burning you will not be able to use that water.

L

Lost

Youngdro, you gotta get at least a sediment/chloramine filter. Tap water has clorimine in it these days and it does not dissapate by mere aration. Not only that the other crap in the water is an unknown so half of your nutrients would be unknown to you.

Check out ebay for cheap r/o filters, should run 130 for a 150 gph r/o. Make sure you get the float valve so you can hook that up to a huge 90 gallon trash can and top off your r/o whenever.

Y

YoungDro

who knows what that 500ppm could be. I would suggest getting good clean water by any means necessary but if you are going to use that h2o no matter what, disregaurd that 500ppm. If could be cal/mg it could not be cal/mg or any other thing out there. Just mix your nutes to their levels without adding that 500ppm. if you see burning you will not be able to use that water.

Okay from the looks of it maybe getting RO is a good idea, though DDS says he doesn't use RO, these plants with 4k watts are metabolizing like crazy so they might tolerate it NP, look at dds buds.

So if i want 1000 PPMS, would i add 1000ppms on top of 500ppms so it reads 1500? Im thnk thats what you mean.

MaxPure™ 180 Gal/Day Reverse Osmosis Water Purifier
[500531]
$229.90

This looks good, with 0ppms is it advisable to use dds nutrients schedule this way because he says he does not use RO.

PS . will a 36,000 BTU Friedrich Mini-Split $3,000 cool 10 lights bare bulb?

Could I go cheaper? Or will other units break down? I could upgrade to Friedrich after the first cycle unless they wont even last THAT long....Though DDS says do not go cheap on the AC and makes that clear...

L

Lost

DDS is in Canada where they have good water... 500 ppm tap is not good water :)

waayne

waayne

YoungDro your plants will love the RO H20,500 PPM is really high to start with.
Good luck:damnhippie:

deacon1503

deacon1503

Damn, my tap water here in MI, from our own well, is only 40ppm after a single sediment filter.

G

GWAP

I got this one, it's cheap, works well and 0 PPM is the usual. My PPM's also start about 500.

I went with reservoir like this

HTH

Y

YoungDro

im on a well right now, im moving by the end of the month, but $200 is nothing when it comes to pure water which means more good nutrients for the plants to uptake, i could imagine the ratio of salty/toxic 500ppms worth of crap diminishing potential yields...we're just substituting 250 ppms right now out of that 500 for nutes, just botanicare and I have been doing this with my bud though ive been in texas past 6 months taking care of business, I got money to move and I will be starting a new grow so thanks for the advice because it will definately help me out.

Y

YoungDro

I got this one, it's cheap, works well and 0 PPM is the usual. My PPM's also start about 500.

I went with reservoir like this

HTH

What are those res tanks? Does the ro fill those up and then you get water from them?

O

OGrower

another thing you need to look at wit ro systems is clean/waste water ratios. i have the 50gpd from the link above and the ratio is 1/3.25

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

What are those res tanks? Does the ro fill those up and then you get water from them?
Yes, those are tanks to hold clean water from the RO. They are food grade for normal human consumption. Very high quality. Although, most people use the big tall holding tanks that are 50g + that they sell at the hydro store. I used to use a Rubbermaid roughneck large can. Worked sweet, and no change to the ppms. I just didn't tell the plants that their water came from the trash....

L

Lost

bro you got milk coming out of your faucet

I laughed so hard at that..

Yes, those are tanks to hold clean water from the RO. They are food grade for normal human consumption. Very high quality. Although, most people use the big tall holding tanks that are 50g + that they sell at the hydro store. I used to use a Rubbermaid roughneck large can. Worked sweet, and no change to the ppms. I just didn't tell the plants that their water came from the trash....

I use the rubbermaid trashcans too! The square automated trash pick up ones with the lid. I also have some plastic 55 gallon drums, but the rubbermaid it nicer and much cheaper!

Both pure water club and filter direct are great places to get stuff :) Cheap and you just buy a new one every 12 - 18 months..

Y

YoungDro

I laughed so hard at that..

I use the rubbermaid trashcans too! The square automated trash pick up ones with the lid. I also have some plastic 55 gallon drums, but the rubbermaid it nicer and much cheaper!

Both pure water club and filter direct are great places to get stuff :) Cheap and you just buy a new one every 12 - 18 months..

Have you been to www.plantlightinghydroponics.com?? they got good stuff for the best prices i have seen but of course you can't get everything you need there but most stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noone88

Had to switch from hard water to RO water (my tap PPM was in the 350 range). The calcium is locking out the magnesium.

It sucks that RO water is so inefficient.

Y

YoungDro

Had to switch from hard water to RO water (my tap PPM was in the 350 range). The calcium is locking out the magnesium.

It sucks that RO water is so inefficient.

What do you mean inneficient? Do you mean using 3 times as much water just to get RO purified?

I am being told that Mini-Split A/C (What we need for sealed rooms + co2) Units releases RO water that can be used, is this true?

In that case if I were to want to add that with the 55 gallon drum of RO water from the purifier, what would need to be done in order for that tank to not overflow?

Latest posts

Top Bottom