Adjusta-wing light bleaching? Anyone else have this problem?

• Thread starter thetreegrowerrr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

Yea he runs 2 5 tons per 30k room. He keeps his temps high the lowest he goes is 78 at the end. Keeps it at 82 in the beginning and 79-80 thought the first 3 weeks. I'll be re arranging my hoods tonight. So i think I'll be right around 6x5 area per hood. I'll know tonight when I get balls deep into it. Thanks

Not to be a total dork but he runs 5 ton per 10k. I run the same, 10 ton per 20k. I've run 15 ton per 48k and it's a fight to keep temps in line. I also run 2x AW's per 4x8 table. Yep middle gets blasted. Some strains take it better than others. Problem is it's hard to get airflow to that center area. It's even harder to get cool air there especially if your AC is having a hard time keeping up. Even at 5 ton per 10k it isn't always easy to keep an even temp through out.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

Not to be a total dork but he runs 5 ton per 10k. I run the same, 10 ton per 20k. I've run 15 ton per 48k and it's a fight to keep temps in line. I also run 2x AW's per 4x8 table. Yep middle gets blasted. Some strains take it better than others. Problem is it's hard to get airflow to that center area. It's even harder to get cool air there especially if your AC is having a hard time keeping up. Even at 5 ton per 10k it isn't always easy to keep an even temp through out.

Copied straight from jacks thread.
2-5 tons for 30k.

Ok I will give it another shot I will ask for everyone to atleast read the first page before asking a question and DO NOT MENTION PEOPLE or PLACES :fighting0003: This is a Legal grow well within my limits..There are 2 rooms on a flip flop burning 30 x1000 watts in each room with 2 x 5 ton ac units in each room, At the moment I am running Under Current Hydro 8 gallon buckets 16 site's per system, 32 sites per room. Soon to be 13 gallon Under current buckets with 3" tubing.There are no in or out vents burning propane and co2 at 1200 to 1500 ppm with 5 can 150's in each room and UV light inside the ac units for killing mold..Strains are Chemdog #4 X DEEP CHUNK,ALIEN DOG, OG RASKALS,FIRE BUBBA,MASTER BUBBA and Strawberry Bubba, Nutes are CANNA'S full line with Roots Excelerator And Magical.. If you ask a questin I will do my best to answer it If I do not answer I am either really busy or the question has been answered more then likley its the second one...:bong2: Give me a minute going to post some pics...JACK :pimp:

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

With 12k and the 5 ton unit I can turn my AC down too 72 degrees and it will cool it down and kick off. At 10k and 5 tons you are running 6000btus of cooling per lamp. You should be able to freeze that baby out...unless your rooms aren't insulated. Idk I'm confused on how you could be having issues with even cooling with that much cooling power. 15k and the 5ton keeps my room at 78degrees. Jack doesn't cool his rooms cooler than 78 degrees in a cycle. He's 81-82 in veg and early flower and 79-78 in late flower. I like 12k cause I like to drop my temps in the low 70's after week 6

ttystikk

ttystikk

Believe it or not, in the wintertime I get by with just one window mounted two Ton ChillKing chiller- and it cooled 16kW of bloom- 8 on flip sealed and vented, and another 2kW in veg.

Added another ChillKing unit of the same size, and now I'm changing up my rooms to run up to 6kW on each side of a flip, this time bare bulb and no ventilation, totally sealed. CO² tanks.

Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

Copied straight from jacks thread.
2-5 tons for 30k.

Ok I will give it another shot I will ask for everyone to atleast read the first page before asking a question and DO NOT MENTION PEOPLE or PLACES :fighting0003: This is a Legal grow well within my limits..There are 2 rooms on a flip flop burning 30 x1000 watts in each room with 2 x 5 ton ac units in each room, At the moment I am running Under Current Hydro 8 gallon buckets 16 site's per system, 32 sites per room. Soon to be 13 gallon Under current buckets with 3" tubing.There are no in or out vents burning propane and co2 at 1200 to 1500 ppm with 5 can 150's in each room and UV light inside the ac units for killing mold..Strains are Chemdog #4 X DEEP CHUNK,ALIEN DOG, OG RASKALS,FIRE BUBBA,MASTER BUBBA and Strawberry Bubba, Nutes are CANNA'S full line with Roots Excelerator And Magical.. If you ask a questin I will do my best to answer it If I do not answer I am either really busy or the question has been answered more then likley its the second one...:bong2: Give me a minute going to post some pics...JACK :pimp:

That's an old uc thread. The pics you posted are from his coco beds rooms, 5 tons per 10k. Can't tell you how many times it's mentioned in the 140 or so page thread on icmag.

Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

With 12k and the 5 ton unit I can turn my AC down too 72 degrees and it will cool it down and kick off. At 10k and 5 tons you are running 6000btus of cooling per lamp. You should be able to freeze that baby out...unless your rooms aren't insulated. Idk I'm confused on how you could be having issues with even cooling with that much cooling power. 15k and the 5ton keeps my room at 78degrees. Jack doesn't cool his rooms cooler than 78 degrees in a cycle. He's 81-82 in veg and early flower and 79-78 in late flower. I like 12k cause I like to drop my temps in the low 70's after week 6

Never said I'm having issues, I don't think it could work much better. You also need to calculate your ballasts into the btu equation. What I said was it is not always easy to keep a perfectly even temp. By the time an ac cycles on your canopy temp can rise a bit by the time the room is evenly cooled down. Believe me I can blast my temps to anywhere I want. That being said even I can get hot spots with the amount of cooling I have and I have a lot of air movement also. I have my AC's set at 72 which gives me a canopy temp from 76-81. Thats just the way it works in my rooms depending on thermostat placement. I can tell you from experience that with 5 tons of ac and 15k of aw's at 48" centers you will get some hot spots. The wings are so close together, especially at their widest settting, that it's hard for the heat to escape. Now add the cross over of light from the wings to the equation and those middle plants get blasted. This can be good and bad strain depending. Some strains put out larfey buds others throw down 2 foot colas. Some plants apparently bleach a bit?

Just giving you my experience with AW's and cooling and I've run just as many as jack, if not more. I switched over everything to wings about 4 years ago. Smashed all my previous records since dialing the wings in.

Hope it works out for you.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

Chromdondalae- thanks man in appreciate your input. I get what your saying about even room temps. I have an iponic 600 so my thermostat is centered with the canopy of the plants right in the middle of the room under the AW's. I have 10 or 11 wall mount fans and a few carbon filters. Plus my AC ducting runs right down the center of my room and the fan is always on circulating air. I do agree if these adjusta wings get dialed they can do some record breakers. I just didn't believe all the hype of having to spread them out so far I always put every hood in 4x4 space these AW's work perfect on 5x5 or 5x6 space. Any closer and light bleaching can occur. I also agree with strains. Blue dream handles these AW's no problem my OG's are the ones that cry. Thanks for input man.

xrob415x

xrob415x

When running the aaw I highly recomment a infared themometer. If you run the AAW's back to back with less than 1 foot distance between them you will get a super hot spot. If you are dead set on running them this close I highly recommend you have minimum of 3 feet between the bulb and canopy. I have consulted people who reported the exact same problem as you described. On average that hot spot was about 6 degrees hotter than surrounding areas. Numerous side by sides confirmed that 3 ft was the magic distance. Some strains can take it closer but the Sour D and Og hated it.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Agree with Xrob on the infrared thermometer. Also agree with tyystik about the swinging hoods technique. If you're in the middle of a harvest and you have burning fan leaves why not just keep the hoods @ 750? Chron is on point with the temperature insight. If you do the tests yourself with the infrared gun you will be surprised by the fluctuation of temps across the canopy. If I might add, floor fans help a great deal in circulating cool air off the floor- which is usually 5 degrees lower than leaf temps in my room. Fwiw -Fresh

Top Bottom