• Tagged users None
M

MedicalINFO

Bio balls

DOOD THEESE LOOK AWESOME!

It's like growing in legos

S

swisscheese

They're just plastic no need to pre treat them other then maybe a rinse to make sure there's not any particles or dust etc.

O

OregonMeds

"I'm not trying to beat D's system, Just trying to get rid of all the weird hight/ low profile requirements"

Beat was a poor choice of words. Simplify, modify, would have been better, I am so sorry if stupid things like that cause any grief for anyone.

I say dumb things like that all the time and don't mean any malice but now see how poorly I worded that. Probably leaving a trail of black and blue toes everywhere I go.

Yes I am doing low profile except a 4" drain runs under the bins for drainage/cleaning and to keep as much piping out of the way as possible. Each bin is plumbed with a 4" t using 4" uniseal. 4" tube like an ebb and flow setup inside the bin to set water height.

By putting the drain underneath the whole thing the system will drain every drop, and in seconds. I'll give up the few inches of height for that convenience.

M

MedicalINFO

No worries........I don't take this stuff personally, Its kind of funny the dramatic shit people get themselves in to on these forums, Like there isn't enough shit to deal with in the real world

So using the inline and keeping the buckets raised enough to fit the 4" directly underneath would give total drainage threw the feed lines. Would it also eliminate the need for a low profile res? I would love to have a 300 gallon res taking up less of a footprint then my 100 gallon ez drain

BIO BALLS

Has anyone used these successfully.. if so it seems like a no brainer, Hydroton is a pain in the ass

N

noone88

No one's trying to "one-up" DD's system. We're all trying to put together our collective experiences to improve an already well-designed system.

I'm trying to shoot for 500gph+ per tub and the ability to drain the whole system in less than 20 minutes. The only way to do this is to use pool/spa pumps.

M

MedicalINFO

we need to figure out what size pump per bucket, or group of 5 or six buckets/ rows. I have 12 buckets 6 on one mag drive and six on the other, Two 4" drain pipes in my rows. It would makes sense to just run two inline pumps back right?

O

OregonMeds

The aeration in this setup is caused by the return pump, when it feeds back into the reservoir, it will dump the water from approximately 2 feet in height straight down into the control tub.

Water jet, that sounds familiar. :)_ Or do you mean just one 2' passive waterfall? Either way loud.

I tested many ideas on a micro scale with just a 50w pump and 2" water jet it's loud. 2' and big pump watch out.

What you plan will be effective, no doubt, but you may want to think further about how to silence the water it will be so loud and annoying and maybe a dead giveaway somethings going on inside your space even if it's a warehouse.

That's what lead me to the nice quiet but very effective mesh mod.

I swear guys, you should try it in any application with any pump just to add some kick in any system that recirculates water all the time. It's so brilliant and silent and effective and simple, I am swearing to you all it's absolutely _the_ way of the future.

I didn't know about any of this before, I am new to this yes but stupid dedicated and spent stupid amounts of time learning and researching, then found out all this stuff and played with it.

If you do want to still use a water jet 2' or whatever maybe you should enclose it in a very well sound baffled space or something?

Just seems like a lot of work. Mesh mod mesh mod mesh mod.:banana::banana::banana:
One example but not the easiest:

O

OregonMeds

No worries........I don't take this stuff personally, Its kind of funny the dramatic shit people get themselves in to on these forums, Like there isn't enough shit to deal with in the real world

Yep, but it is really easy to get into it sometimes and get heated and ready to bail, I've been there too.

So using the inline and keeping the buckets raised enough to fit the 4" directly underneath would give total drainage threw the feed lines. Would it also eliminate the need for a low profile res? I would love to have a 300 gallon res taking up less of a footprint then my 100 gallon ez drain

Yes I may not use 4", overkill really, but I also want a tall res and smaller footprint. 4" would be needed if you are doing dd's layout but not this really. Fast drain, I guess whatever your plumbing will allow.

BIO BALLS

Has anyone used these successfully.. if so it seems like a no brainer, Hydroton is a pain in the ass

Not sure, maybe somewhere.

I know they will work better for sure though, with solid enough research to stake my rep on it and someone much wiser than us all has confirmed my plan. I know that doesn't give much confidence but maybe it's worth trying a bin to someone. I am set back on my time to get this done so surely someone will test it in the real world before I can. I just got a .08 diu, yes I'm brilliant...
Money is gone and I can't even support myself. No drivers license means big trouble for me when you need it to donate product to support the grow cycle.
Oregon Medical marijuana card alone and temp dui drivers permit is not enough apparently, not photo id. Imagine that. :)

If it's not one thing it's another. I'm so pissed!

DOH!

O

OregonMeds

I should explain a couple things I learned though and why I'm going so overkill on oxygenating the water with the mesh mod etc when you guys are already reaching the max output of the plants in dd's system.

The more oxygen in the water the higher the temperature you can run in your grow without slowing down the yield. And increasing transpiration in some instances has shown to improve yields if all other factors are covered.

As long as the water temp is kept in line it can help you get more out of some situations and be quite an advantage.
Throwing bubbles with air stones can't do what the mesh can and the micro bubble size can be tailored depending on how you mod and what material. You should still have an air pump to de-gas superoxygenated water of impurities as plant material dies. (fine root hars die all the time and are regenerated.)

Oh and the bio balls, if we find the best ones, and learn to water it right should do wonders to improve the amount of fine root hairs which does wonders for the yield in all situations. And increase the rate at which impurities are removed and oxygen is delivered.

Maybe we have maxed out performance in some areas and with some plants, and maybe we haven't quite gotten it all in all situations yet. I think I found a good plan, but can't do shit with it now so I hope someone will test these things for us. Can't hurt to try... If we've surpassed the plants capabilities, we next need to work on the plants. If we knew someone at monsanto and got some genetic engineering involved... (haha)

Growing in water is your limiting factor because of how little oxygen the water will hold so we can force more in and maybe get further.
:mad0233:

M

mcattak

I am going to have my hydro shop get one of these and show me the DO ratings...Could be snake oil but if legit could solve a lot of problems...

M

mcattak

Only reason I post this is that some people have height limitations for their rooms. In addition, gravity draining a system for res changes takes a long time.

My 15 buckets drain 20 minutes...

O

OregonMeds

I've looked into that oxygen before. It's a simple simple device that's priced stupid stupid high, and very limited in functionality because of how the electrodes will degrade rapidly and how you have to use it.

Worth a shot if you have the money to burn and patience to fiddle with it, but probably not as ideal as other options.

You could build the thing for $25 or less if you know what you're doing. You may have in high school chemistry, it's just electrolysis with a dc power source. Wire a DC wall wart to a couple different coins spaced properly apart and drop it in your water where there's flow and pull it out after ea use. Same basic thing. The theory is sound just maybe not practical. I suggest you just read the directions first online to see what they say about how to use it and how to maintain it.

Check how much do they want for electrodes. If they have a 1000% mark up on the original unit I am thinking it's going to keep costing you.

I prefer simplicity efficiency and economy in what I'm working on. This big grow shit shouldn't cost so much to get into.

They probably only sell a few of them so it's understandable why the cost is high though, to be fair.

S

swisscheese

Tested the gravity drain today and its not for me, I'm losing half of my growing space.

M

MedicalINFO

How about just multiplying DD"s air stone setup by 2. Just get twice the pump and add two twelve inch airstones.

O

OregonMeds

How about just multiplying DD"s air stone setup by 2. Just get twice the pump and add two twelve inch airstones.

The air pump in my setup isn't even for aeration it's for circulation and kicking the micro bubbles off everything with larger bubbles because they stick to every surface and never move. It is also a patented process for efficiently removing gas impurities in water and as root hairs are always breaking down and being regenerated that's a thing that has to be addressed.

Also it adds redundancy to the system because either the air or water pump could really keep the plants perfectly happy, but maybe not yielding at 100% alone.

Plus it's like a freebie since you're going to have that water pump anyway and can mod anything.

I was kind of mad I couldn't stick to my cheap soaker hose and or didn't want to have to worry at all about air clogging even in stones. Less dependency on ea part, wider ambient operating temperature range, less heat put into the water because the water pump heat is already in every situation anyway. And you can't beat the quiet factor compared to trying to use many times the air pump.

M

MedicalINFO

ahhh gotcha... Micro bubbles coating the feed lines buckets and return. I like it

O

OregonMeds

ahhh gotcha... Micro bubbles coating the feed lines buckets and return. I like it

It's the bubbles that will coat the roots I want to kick off and keep moving. Didn't appear like it would work at it's best if half the roots are coated with stale air.

O

OregonMeds

I knew it!!!!

I was right about at least one part of this whole thread. Whoohoo!

A sliver of success....Can I get a cheer to saying fuck off to hydroton and lava at least? Ebay, search bio balls, sort high priced, $150 shipped for 20 gallons is highest, some help finding the best deal would be nice.

It's like crickets over here...

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
hey wassup fellas,would anyone mind pitting a sketch up of no is describing..with the pumps and water flow included..would be much appreciated for a future MPBer...Burn

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I am going to have my hydro shop get one of these and show me the DO ratings...Could be snake oil but if legit could solve a lot of problems...

I started a thread about that thing and was hoping someone would step up and test it out, please let us know the results mac...

Top Bottom