Advantage of using old-school HPS/MH over LED

• Thread starter ninjadip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

Me to mate..Mines in the mail 😃 .i reckon i will run it at 80% 16-20 away..around that..thats just under 600watts .the photons it pulls is massive

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It was an HLG 600 v1 with the samsung 561c diodes. 3000k run never more than 80%.
Grams per watt questions have been a pet peeve of mine since I found this place. Grams per watt will increase the better you get at growing. Knowing how to get the best yield is important but learning how to grow is the goal here. It always sounds like they're growing for sale weed and are counting their money as they figure out how much they can grow. I've never weighed my grows, I've only an idea now because of how much you can put in Grove bags... I know I get more now than when I started growing.

Fat people don't like weight questions....that may be behind my peeve...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Grams per watt questions have been a pet peeve of mine since I found this place. Grams per watt will increase the better you get at growing. Knowing how to get the best yield is important but learning how to grow is the goal here. It always sounds like they're growing for sale weed and are counting their money as they figure out how much they can grow. I've never weighed my grows, I've only an idea now because of how much you can put in Grove bags... I know I get more now than when I started growing.

Fat people don't like weight questions....that may be behind my peeve...
Yeah gram per kw hr is the key. I typically veg for 2-3 weeks and strain plays a huge role as does grower skill

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yeah gram per kw hr is the key. I typically veg for 2-3 weeks and strain plays a huge role as does grower skill
Or not.

To @PipeCarver 's point, I quit weighing a while ago too. Who cares if you can grow 4 pounds of ditch weed in a 4x8?

I'll start weighing again since I have new lights and want to compare, but it's just me and my wife, and we are lightweights, soooo...... 🤪👀😵😵‍💫

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Or not.

To @PipeCarver 's point, I quit weighing a while ago too. Who cares if you can grow 4 pounds of ditch weed in a 4x8?

I'll start weighing again since I have new lights and want to compare, but it's just me and my wife, and we are lightweights, soooo...... 🤪👀😵😵‍💫
Yeah i can get in board to that… definitely quality over quantity but it is nice to be able to gauge the efficiency and capabilities of your systems

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yeah i can get in board to that… definitely quantity but it is nice to be able to gauge the efficiency and capabilities of your systems
poundage is but one metric in the hundreds that are cannabis. It's really only relevant if you are selling it. Things like cannabinoid content are much more important across the board regardless of your intended use, IMO.

Talking about yield as if it is the most important aspect of a grow is everywhere on this and other forums. I guess everybody but me and @PipeCarver are selling it? Oh and I'm fat too, so I'm triggered by the whole weight thing. (in case you don't know me, everything can be made into humor. I don't actually get triggered unless you call me Karen.)

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah i can get in board to that… definitely quality over quantity but it is nice to be able to gauge the efficiency and capabilities of your systems
It just doesn't seem like a priority to me............I plan on buying a 4x4 tent with an X light...How much weight can I get out of my grow.?????........Ah?

It really only matters if you're buying it...How much for HOW MUCH?.......nope lol

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You know, one of the things I'm looking for in our new system is faster growth. In a perfect world, the turnaround time from seedling to smoke would be shorter. When doing pheno hunts or breeding, this seems more important to me that sheer weight. Smaller plants finished faster is something I'd like to be able to cleanly do. Then once you got your genetics locked in, make the switch and produce a metric shit ton of it in the same growspace.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

poundage is but one metric in the hundreds that are cannabis. It's really only relevant if you are selling it. Things like cannabinoid content are much more important across the board regardless of your intended use, IMO.

Talking about yield as if it is the most important aspect of a grow is everywhere on this and other forums. I guess everybody but me and @PipeCarver are selling it? Oh and I'm fat too, so I'm triggered by the whole weight thing. (in case you don't know me, everything can be made into humor. I don't actually get triggered unless you call me Karen.)
This is true but there is also no denying that an experienced grower with quality equipment will produce more… thats not to say that more is better but rather a result those. This is based on using the same genetics

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You know, one of the things I'm looking for in our new system is faster growth. In a perfect world, the turnaround time from seedling to smoke would be shorter. When doing pheno hunts or breeding, this seems more important to me that sheer weight. Smaller plants finished faster is something I'd like to be able to cleanly do. Then once you got your genetics locked in, make the switch and produce a metric shit ton of it in the same growspace.
I like the 2.5 month turn around...it takes 2 -2.5 months to finish flowering and in that time the clones that were cut before the flip are now monsters to flip...any faster and I'd be plugged at one end and I run out of room.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This is true but there is also no denying that an experienced grower with quality equipment will produce more… thats not to say that more is better but rather a result those. This is based on using the same genetics
No sir, I would never deny that. And to some people finished weight is priority 1, 2 and 3. Live and let live brother.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It just doesn't seem like a priority to me............I plan on buying a 4x4 tent with an X light...How much weight can I get out of my grow.?????........Ah?

It really only matters if you're buying it...How much for HOW MUCH?.......nope lol
I totally agree there is to much emphasis put on weight. But it seems to be what everyone want to know and gauges. In reality it about growing the strain to its potential.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ya the quality equipment you speak of is not going to put out the same product to you as to a newbie. The best golf club in the world won't let you hit it like the pro's but it will help the pro's that know how to get the most out of it. Same same for lights seeds nutes ect,ect,ect

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ya the quality equipment you speak of is not going to put out the same product to you as to a newbie. The best golf club in the world won't let you hit it like the pro's but it will help the pro's that know how to get the most out of it. Same same for lights seeds nutes ect,ect,ect
Truth

ninjadip

ninjadip

Weight is but one metric. Terps, thc content...
I watched a video on some upcoming brand out of Cali that is focused purely on the experience or feeling a specific strain gives, over everything else. I can really get on board with this, weight and THC content are a way to have quantitive measurements but to be honest the feeling is the most important part to me, taste second, everything else last.
But that's just me. I'm not selling, I just want to enjoy the moment lol

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Weight is but one metric. Terps, thc content...
I watched a video on some upcoming brand out of Cali that is focused purely on the experience or feeling a specific strain gives, over everything else. I can really get on board with this, weight and THC content are a way to have quantitive measurements but to be honest the feeling is the most important part to me, taste second, everything else last.
But that's just me. I'm not selling, I just want to enjoy the moment lol
To that end, I think HID may serve you better overall if budget is a concern because you can change spectrum by changing bulbs. Spectrum has a lot to do with bringing out this trait or that, and even morphology itself. Most inexpensive LEDs have a single spectrum and can only be dimmed.

If budget is not a concern and you are looking to "tune" a plant to your liking, an LED with adjustable spectrum can be your best friend.

ninjadip

ninjadip

To that end, I think HID may serve you better overall if budget is a concern because you can change spectrum by changing bulbs. Spectrum has a lot to do with bringing out this trait or that, and even morphology itself. Most inexpensive LEDs have a single spectrum and can only be dimmed.

If budget is not a concern and you are looking to "tune" a plant to your liking, an LED with adjustable spectrum can be your best friend.
I'm sorry but I was commenting on the whole watt per gram argument, and agreeing that weight alone is not the best metric, regardless of lights.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm sorry but I was commenting on the whole watt per gram argument, and agreeing that weight alone is not the best metric, regardless of lights.
Yup, and I'm agreeing with your agreement dammit!

J/K I was trying to get back on track with your original question - why HPS. For budget conscious buyers, you have more spectrum options with HID lighting than budget LED. Spectrum can assist in getting the best out of your plants if you know how to use it.

Top Bottom