Air Pots for Cannabis plants(new craze)

• Thread starter jah_hoover
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

raphen_ilweed

I like the airpots but find watering them thoroughly is problematic. The soil forms channels and just spills out of the top cones. The bottom never gets water if I just top drench. So once every so many I just pick it up and dunk it in the reservoir.
Smart Pots are better IMHO.

B

bon

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with raphen ilweed

i bought the air pots, plants loved it... But i hated it... I'm growing in my barn and the floor isn't 100% levelled. So each time i watered my plants, the air pots were leaking water all over the place...

D

Darkstar

Air pots and smart pots work on the same air pruning process but air pots are messy. I've tried both and ditched the air pots after one run and have been rocking the smart pots for years.
Either way you go they both give awesome root growth which translates into great plant growth/Buds.

Peace...

B

biggun4me

I don't agree that the air pots are better, but I do appreciate the video.... Peace

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

here is one in 2 weeks flowering. I will take sum updated pics of her soon

2010 lvenom 003
M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Smart Pots

I love the smart pots, you need to use the right size or your wasting your time. But when you use the right ones look out. The plants roots need to reach the pot, and when they do the explosive growth begins

mal

R

raphen_ilweed

I love the smart pots, you need to use the right size or your wasting your time. But when you use the right ones look out. The plants roots need to reach the pot, and when they do the explosive growth begins

mal

So would you recommend stepping down a size? Like if you usually use 5 gallon, step it down to 3?

P

Ptone

Since switching to Smart Pots I've seen fantastic growth for the size of the pot. Maybe I'll do a side by side next grow Air pots / Smart Pots.
Here is a clone I was gifted "Lemon Kush" #3 Smart Pot(3 Gallon)

LK 11 29 10
LK 11 29 10 4
B

budbarian

Jah,
how do you deal with da holes up top when watering? Seems like they could be caulked over.

Suunny,
why you liking da airpots more? Confused on dat post it says it's your first run wit Smart Pots but that ya ran em last grow?

Rootball pics please!

budboy299

budboy299

Is it just me or do these things (air pots) look like they are made from basement waterproofing membrane?

Not advocating making your own though....they are cheap enough to buy. Just thought it looked like that stuff except there are holes added.

kind of like this stuff

T pm1
Oldroyd xv 20
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
air pots are easier to transplant than smart/root pots. are harder to water, need to give a bunch of small amounts of water to get em wet.

both get roots galore

Is it just me or do these things (air pots) look like they are made from basement waterproofing membrane?

Not advocating making your own though....they are cheap enough to buy. Just thought it looked like that stuff except there are holes added.

kind of like this stuff

Thanks, was wondering what the material is. They do have nice bases that the above material wraps around. Have not found any locally would be nice to DIY some.

Know where to get the material for the bases?

budboy299

budboy299

Nope Leadsled that part has me stumped for now. I know I have seen the bases somewhere else, used for something else but my old memory can't seem to dig up where I saw them. I'll work on that though.
May as well do a simple DIY for ppl, as some countries you just can't seem to find these in and it would be fairly simple for ppl to make their own if they are unavailable.

S

suunnyblacks

Jah,
how do you deal with da holes up top when watering? Seems like they could be caulked over.

Suunny,
why you liking da airpots more? Confused on dat post it says it's your first run wit Smart Pots but that ya ran em last grow?

Rootball pics please!

What I meant was that I used a smart pot last time. Just didnt feel "sturdy" if you know what I mean. Not sure if it was just me, but everytime I picked it up the soil move around.....seemed like it created cavities and spaces in the soil. I'm not sure how good that was for the soil. What I do know is that if I ever run em again I would try to use as little perlite as possible. With the air pots you can just toss em around like a regular pot...kinda since you'll lose a little soil on the bottom every time you move em. Not a lot mind you, but you'll want to sweep up every now and again.

As for the watering, I had to water both pots slowly, especially since I like the idea of letting my containers get pretty dry between waterings. The first couple ounces of water will run out the sides of both pots from my experience if you don't.

You probably will have to water the airport more often since the air actually hits the soil in the air pots much more than the smart pots. I would think this to be an advantage...more air and oxygen to the roots.

As for how good the plants respond...I love the air pots. The roots growth is ridiculous. The ones in my photos are 3.4 gallons. I was thinking that I might get away with half of that, but the torts kept coming. And oh...that's another thing I like about the air pots. Your able to monitor the root growth by seeing how much or if any roots are poking out the bottom.

D

dubdi3mond

air pots are easier to transplant than smart/root pots.

can you elaborate a little? i just started using air pots for some plants in veg and was wondering how people were transplanting, are you unscrewing the green screw and taking the pot apart or what?

i noticed if you take out the green screw after its been in, it wont fit right back into the same hole to lock the pot together firmly

R

rollinthc

Airpots are something that I've been looking into recently and have seen great results and mixed ones. Thinking about it for mother plants and I guess the real test is to just try it out myself!

Thanks for the thread and will post any results that I have.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
can you elaborate a little? i just started using air pots for some plants in veg and was wondering how people were transplanting, are you unscrewing the green screw and taking the pot apart or what?

i noticed if you take out the green screw after its been in, it wont fit right back into the same hole to lock the pot together firmly

Yes, I unscrew and remove then transplant. I have not had the same problem is re-attaching the screw.

smart pots, gotta rip the roots from the pot, they survive. But I cringe as I am ripping apart them roots I want to flourish.

-Lead

Top Bottom