Air Pots for Cannabis plants(new craze)

• Thread starter jah_hoover
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mustang-cars

I'm using them right know and i'm 2 weeks into veg and they look great, lots more plant structure than with a regular pot, I haven't used the smartt pots but it looks like these air pots are going to pay off, I'm actually worried they might get to big, I'll just have to pay good attention to when I flip them

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I agree with LEAD, the smart pots are very good, but at the same time you can go to home depot and buy some gardening fabric(which is what the smart pots are made out of) and sew together your own pots lol. but for the sake of time and labor i just say go with the smart or root pots and they're still less than half the price of these air pots. Take it easy guys

B

Bodhi Tree

Ipersonally have run airpots, smartpots, and rootpots (the budget choice) in outdoor applications in the mid atlantic usa. I didn't like the airpots at all. First off they have perhaps 1/10000 the number of holes in them, which is very important. It is the air that creates the airpruning effect, so it stands to reason that if there are more holes for a root to grow out of, there is a much greater chance that the roots will grow out through a hole and become air-pruned. In addition, the hard plastic holes are easily clogged by tiny stones, mulch pieces, etc. With the fabric pot there is always an alternative path to air. Somebody mentioned the insect nesting effect that happens. So true! I had an ant colony in one of mine and when I emptied the pots I noticed all sorts of insect habitations built into the hard plastic holes. Indeed, these could be repackaged as antfarms no problem. Still, one must Keep in mind that I've only used these outdoor.

One last thing: the pot bottom on the airpots is slightly recessed, meaning your soil is separated from the floor of your room by a half inch or so, allowing air to flow under the pot. In outdoor aplications where I am, this is not as desirable as having the pot in close and intimate contact with the cool earth, like the fabric pots.

Unfortunately I never did a true sidebyside. I only tried the 8 gallon airpots alongside the 25 gallon smartpots.

Personally I like the rootpots the best. The price is right and they do the job.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
sunny it looks like you have a bad case of powdery mildew there

G

giantsfan24

I was going to go with Air Pots then my hydro guy said that with all the holes, it seemed to him that they could be avenues to pest and subsequent root damage.

I know a lot of people have used them and do great. I went with Smart Pots which essentially do the same thing.

Good luck!

S

suunnyblacks

100% Trichomes

sunny it looks like you have a bad case of powdery mildew there

Ummmm....those are 100%trichomes guys. But hey I don't blame you. The first time I noticed I pulled out my 30x zoom scope right away. The strains are platinum bubba kush, lemon og, and amnesia........This is the level of trichome development that good genetics, air pots, and earthjuice organics will get ya!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
when it looks like a line of coke down the center of the leaf margin that is PM

trust me - Ill bet you can rub some of those trichs off very easily

trichs on leaves populate the areas outside of the margins, not inside

not trying to hate, bro

Id get some green cure right the fuck away

S

suunnyblacks

You got me real worried bro. Here's another pic up close with the metal halide. Is this what powder mildew looks like? What does pm look like under the scope, how can I be sure its not trichomes? In your previous post you said it looks like a line of coke in the middle, does it mean its def not pm if its not?

PM
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
sory bro thats pm - it can look like perfect circles when it starts - not always though

some of your big fans had that line of coke look to them though - thats how I spotted it straight off since trichs dont form up like that

never scoped pm before so not sure what it looks like under a scope

only thing you can do at this point is green cure and thats if you even want to smoke that, personally it would go in my trash bin - do not compost it - the spores survive composting

sorry to be the bearer of shit news - really am - but that would be all bad to smoke that

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
motherload is right>>and i have never seen PM that bad before
Can you take some crop shots of this devastation

really sorry bro

gtd:passingjoint:

S

suunnyblacks

Thanks for putting me up on game Motherlode. Your right it is PM. It makes sense. Now that I think back it did start in the center of the leaves on the platinum bubba kush a few weeks into veg. Also the pbk's have the worst case of it by far than the other plants. I was even told by the guy selling me the clones to watch out for powder mildew on this specific strain (they came from Blue Sky Coffee shop here in the bay).

I have a tent that I leave open during the day. I keep a fan in the tent as well as a big box fan against one of the vents on the outside to suck air out and leave at the opposite end a vent open and night to exchange air. Humidity at night stays in the 60's and climbs as high as 70. Temps range in the day at the coloas 76-84, at night 68-72

eyecandi

eyecandi

yeah, PM sucks :( tough call, but I personally wouldn't keep em. tough to get rid of and trying to do so can make the end material non-consumable. after the harvest, totally sterilize the grow room and any tools (bleach, vinegar, rubbing alcohol). to help prevent in the future, dip new clones in a diluted neem oil bath (helps with bugs too, so win-win) and periodic sprays with it or something like Zero Tolerance will keep it in check.

as for the pots, I've been using self built 5gal rootpots (whatever you call them ... made with the home depot heavy landscaping fabric) for a while along side regular 5gal pots and there is no comparison in rootballs. except for a few sativas (which max out anything anyways), there is a noticeable difference in rootmass between the 2 (bigger below=better potential up top). I'm completely with Bodhi on descriptions.

B

brookstown

Ummmm....those are 100%trichomes guys. But hey I don't blame you. The first time I noticed I pulled out my 30x zoom scope right away. The strains are platinum bubba kush, lemon og, and amnesia........This is the level of trichome development that good genetics, air pots, and earthjuice organics will get ya!

lol

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have tried air pots and smart pots. I did not notice a yield increase with the air pots but I did with the smart pots. I am not saying that smart pots are better, I am just posting my experience. I was also going to mention that you can buy the sir pots material and make your own in milk crates or whatever for much less. goodluck and let us know how it goes.

T

tomsawyer

I found airpots tough to top water. unless on a drip. much better flood and drain. Watering with a hose is a pain.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Trying out 12 gal airpot which I believe is the largest size w/ bottom. This is an old school Hawaiian Diesel/(Chem88) that was flipped @ 100 da veg and is 7 da into flwr. It'll stay outdoors for another week and go into flwr rm which is undergoing a remodel ATM.

A secondary benefit- having so many holes available to anchor the bailing wire helps make training precise and quick.

HD 7daFlwr

HD7da2cu

Hd LST

Top Bottom