Air Stones In My System

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I currently have what I like to call an upswell RDWC system where I have a 20G res, six 5G buckets, nutes are pushed into the bottom of the buckets independently, and return to the res from the top of the buckets. I have a large air stone in each bucket and none in the res.
now...
I'm putting together a similar system for a 4x8 bloom tent. I'm wondering if I need an air stone in each bucket or could I get away with a couple of large air stones in the res. I know I can redesign the system to have a waterfall effect to aerate, but I'm happy with my system the way it is (maybe a couple of minor tweeks).

I would like to create a thread of my build step-by-step once I get all the parts if everyone doesn't mind.
I've already started ordering my pumps (air/water), 6" net pots, couple of air stone. I have a bunch of extra parts from my original build. I've picked out the spot near my original tent (soon to be my veg only tent).

Original tent just test running with water
Air stones in my system

Inside the original tent with the light on
Air stones in my system 2

Spot for the new bloom tent(minus the broken refrigerator
Air stones in my system 3

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

It's a good idea to have them in each bucket as well as the rez. As far as is it absolutely necessary, I don't know. But, It's definitely better to have more than you need.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

It's a good idea to have them in each bucket as well as the rez. As far as is it absolutely necessary, I don't know. But, It's definitely better to have more than you need.

So the reason I ask is because this tent will probably have a considerably more amount of heat do to the light design I'm planning. I think these air pumps add heat to the water and I'm worried that the water temperature will rise above 70 in the summer months(probably will no matter what I do short of adding a chiller). In the winter months, I'm fine, in fact I have to add a fish tank heater to get the water temps up to 65 (unheated basement). I know the water can only hold so much Dissolved Oxygen, I'm just wondering where the sweet spot is for added O2 to the water and where adding more bubbles has no added values besides keeping the water moving.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I used to add 20oz pip/soda plastic bottles (frozen water) to help keep my cloners res cool. I change them every 24hrs or so.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I used to add 20oz pip/soda plastic bottles (frozen water) to help keep my cloners res cool. I change them every 24hrs or so.
Yeah, I've read that people have done this during the summer. I was thinking of doing the same as I have a stand up freezer in the basement that I used to use to store all me deer meat after hunting season.
and if that didn't work, then I would invest in a chiller, but being an sw/hw engineer, I like to experiment };-)

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

and being a hw/sw engineer, I'm totally geeking out about my potential lighting system (just ask @sixstring, I've been bugging the crap out of him), thinking about ramping up and down the different reds and full spectrum (too many hours watching @growmau5 videos). Having a Raspberry Pi controlling the light cycles. adding Wi-Fi capability to the controller, added Bluetooth to the system for sensors to determine solution parameters, .... but for now, it's lights on/lights off with a $20 timer power strip };-)

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

If you use a good size lp pump in the rez with a top outlet, you can fashion a riser that extends some 6" above the water line. Top it with a manifold of some sort so the water cascades back into the rez. That should be all you need.

A Venturi is another great option. Lots of YT videos

Here's my diy in a 3 g igloo

Chiller Floom

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

If you use a good size lp pump in the rez with a top outlet, you can fashion a riser that extends some 6" above the water line. Top it with a manifold of some sort so the water cascades back into the rez. That should be all you need.

A Venturi is another great option. Lots of YT videos

Here's my diy in a 3 g igloo

View attachment 699444

That's a good idea, I think I'm just going to try the two large air stones in the res when I get my bloom tent going and leave the air stones in the buckets in the veg tent and see how that works.

Rationale:
The veg plants will be small so the extra turbulence would theoretically spray more water on the tiny roots , the light in the veg tent should be much cooler so the water won't heat up as much.

The bloom tent lights will most likely run hotter so moving the air pump outside the tent and cutting down to two stones should help. The roots of the blooming plants will be much more established so less turbulence is needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom