Airstone tolerant nutrients...what are they?

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I need a nutrient that can take full on airstone oxygen enriched DWC enviroment...most hydro nutrients out there specifically warn about airating the reservoirs so it is a narrow list.

House and Garden = no
Canna = no
Aurora = ?
Pure Blend Pro = ?
BC Technaflora = no
Advanced Nutrients = All but the microbes I think..
Grotek = ?
Dyna Tek = ?
Metanaturals = ?
Age Old Organics = ?
GH Three part = ?
GH Floranova = ?
GH Floralicious = ?
GH Organic (new line) = ?

Any help you greatly appreciated

Tex

R

Rolln J

I always assumed gh 3 part was ok - I ran airstones in in before I started using other additives (now I just have a pump extra pump turn on for 5 minutes before my watering pump comes on)

seems lots of folks use it in dwc - Im surprised they dont have a recommended nutrient to that system of sodom your running...

convex

convex

I ran (2) recirculating 5 gallon w/2 gallon inserts dwc with a 8 gallon remote rez, w/airstone in rez recently and used PBP & Karma.

Never drifted more than .1 with weekly changes.
That was the test run, gonna try again with a few more pails.

sky high

sky high

heya TK.

I'd check on the H&G again. I remember a big flap about them stating you couldn't use em with airstones back when I ran the store but it was later determined that the info was actually a misprint in the brochures.

Anyone else remember this....or was I tripping?

I'm bubblin the shit out of GH....so i hope it works. LOL.

s h

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I remeber H&G had some mix up as to which was for recirc system and feed to waste, the Hydro or the Aqua Flakes and I know there as alot wierdness in the liturature.

I am goin to setup a bucket with an airstone in it and test the H&G because that is really what I want to run.

Tex

sky high

sky high

I just looked at their page and didn't see anything cautioning about the use of "airstones". I'm 100% sure it was a misprint and there was a lot of cionfusion afterwards.

I also see that they may have dropped the "Hydro A & B' and now offer the Aqua flakes as <the> hydro nute.

the shit should rock.... good luck

s h

D

dank.frank

Hey TK...

I have used PBP with glass airstones, and really was kinda confused by the results. The plants didn't seem to noticed when being feed...but it did appear as if they "separated". I don't know how else to describe it. Turn the air off, and within 5 minutes, you could see visible settling / on the bottom of the reservoir...where it just appeared as if the nutrients had separated or changed. I have never experienced this when mixing PBP in gallon jugs of RO. Sure, it could use a bit of a shake up, but the general appearance of the water was still the murky/brown/ mixed combined look. When pulling water out of the reservoir, it simply appeared to be water.

Now, I might be making an unfair comparison, but like I said, the plants didn't seem to notice a difference between the two ever...so, I would suppose that PBP can handle being bubbled, although, I'd love to hear someone else comment on this...

dank.Frank

S

Semi Pro Grower

i have used airstones with GH 3 part with no problems at all. 100litre rez, with a bucket system. ebb and flow i believe is the term.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I am using AN connosaur program in a DWC setup.
So far the plant is really happy.
My only complaint is the browning of the root's.
But they seem happy.
Here is a couple pic's.
Erkle in second weak of veg.

100 0241
100 0242
100 0243
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Would someone explain to me the dangers of using an airstone in my rez? I am new to hydro- less than 2 yrs experience- I've always run an airstone or two in my rez and used lots of different nutes... I've had about 2 mediocre crops and 6 beautiful crops. I lost one entirely due to a "midnight relocation" that didn't work out so well. I was under the impression that it is essential to run an airstone in ebb-n-flow. Of course it's imperative in dwc.

G

GroHi

SH~ still got the original H&G lit... yup, it prints:

"Never use an oxygen pump in the nutrient container or on the growth table. This may have serious consequences for the stability of the nutrients (pH and EC values)."

Apparently the local rep told the local hydro guy... misprint & only worry about that w using the RExcel... live cultures. Which I will testify towards... day after mixing a 1/4 strength dose of the RE to a rez (w air)... had to change the solution... gummed up everything.

Beyond that, the AF & the GHF have all run very clean in a heavily oxygenated tank. pH & ppm's run as expected & pretty consistent, so...?

PorchMonkey4Life

PorchMonkey4Life

All my homies that do dwc Roll with House & Graden aqua FLakes...Set it and forget it PH wise......all my rezs are with massive stones and from floranova to dutchmaster Gold to connie, To PBP, Humboldt masters..........All fine and ph rock hard once set and bubbling likea muther fukker !!!

i use PBP and Advanced bigbud powder ...Some times PBP can settle on the bottum of the rez aftera few days:mooning

sky high

sky high

I have faith that TK will rock it...as always. :smiley_joint:

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Airstones can and do causes the pH to rise in the solution. Its just Dependant on the nute that you use and its buffering ability as to when you will need to re-pH your tank.

Well actually it isn't the airstone that is make the pH rise, its the increased DO (dissolved Oxygen) that causes this. Although with a normal airstone and compressor pump you will only be adding perhaps 1 - 2 mg/ L of O2 from the base at around 7 mg / L. Max you can achieve is about 14 mg / L but you need ceramic defusers to achieve this and they are very pricy and likely to block up quite quick.

Yeah H&G used to say not you bubble but then changed it. Saying it was a typo. It was to do with their Root Excel. Now, I see it this way. Their root excel is not as good as it was, so I think they have quietly changed the formula and made up the crap about the typo.

What does Doubled's use. He seams the master of all things DWC.

F

Finalopagus

I have been long time user of Technaflora.
I use 18gal tubs with 10 gals of solution and a six inch "bluestone" airstone.
I have no idea the DO level achieved with that and the HydroFarm air compressor. Starting with well water of 7.2, PH w/30ml down and mixing the recipe for success I see 5.6 drift to 6.2 over 0-10 days. Adding two or three more stones does not change this drift in my experience.

I would sure like to know the proper level for my DWC.

(How to measure oxygen)

S

Smokin

Second opinion - H&G home; ...and no mention of oxygen pump issues. Thinking GroHi and theherbalizor got this one figured right... as always. Shit. TK, GroHi and theherbalizor all putting cross-hairs on the same problem... we know it aint gonna be a problem much longer! Thank you... all of you... for being there!

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I forgot to add. The reason why increasing DO make pH rise is due to it displacing or doing something to the calcium in the water.

From my experience I found air-stones to add very little if anything to a grow. I used to bubble all my water. Now I do not. Obviously different if using in Hydro app. I mean I would never run hydro with out an air-stone.

But the fact that by either having one or 10 air-stone in a tank using unbuffered nutes, the pH will rise equally the same as they are infact adding very little if any DO. What they do help to do tho is circulate and move the nute mix and in some instances help keep the rez cool. But at the same time the addition of a pump running constant can actually heat the water slightly and if one has a basic grasp of science then you will know that the reason why high res temps are bad for plants is because for every degree the temp rises the lower the DO % becomes.

This is why I think cheap aquatic air-stone and pumps are not really that effective. The main action of increasing DO is negated by the slight heating effect.

Sorry to slightly diverge of your main topic there TK.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I have airstoned about evrything at one time or another, i used to airstone every res with PBP rockin and had no problems except the meesiness of the LK makin everything look dirty as shit...I di have a problem with some of the nutes "falling out" so to speak, not staying bound to the nutrient solution and settleing on the bottom of the res and buckets..

There is some other bi carbinant or something in the Canna and H&G that supposedly is the curse of the airstones..the Canna guys tell me i can't do it but i have already so I am not to sure..

The problem with Roots Exelerater being an issue is that it is used all the way through at about 2-4ml per gallon right to the end..

I will find out soon enough because i am goin to run Aqua Flakes with a vengence..

Tex

J

Jalisco Kid

I have patients running h&G now in my systems now for years with no problem.I think their root ex foamed up to much before. I do not like h&g because their formula is not very flexible. They take to much N into your flowering. I find 3 part GH or is you can get it AN euro 3 part. I like the micros in that one. JK

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
For the money and due to the volume I am fixin to run, I hate to say that GH is probably my best bet, I just don't want to admit it yet...lol I have been runnin away from the cool-aide for so long I may have to eat my words...

I wonder which one of the A or B in H&G has all the nitro in it? you could screw the a/b mix to reduce the nitro goin into flower if needed..

I need to round up all my H&G and see where I am at anyways.

Tex

Latest posts

Top Bottom