Amekins’ Fantastical Faerie Garden Grow Diary

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I should have just been straight to the point and said there is no argument against the paper towel method except being lazy and not wanting to take the time...it basically guarantees success.

But of course that's just my bro science opinion. I like that visual of seeing the taproot coming out and knowing that the seed has actually germinated instead of this weird feeling of wanting to poke around in the dirt looking for it for a week.

Sorry, strong opinions here lol

amekins

amekins

I should have just been straight to the point and said there is no argument against the paper towel method except being lazy and not wanting to take the time...it basically guarantees success.

But of course that's just my bro science opinion. I like that visual of seeing the taproot coming out and knowing that the seed has actually germinated instead of this weird feeling of wanting to poke around in the dirt looking for it for a week.

Sorry, strong opinions here lol
Hey now, my chosen method isn’t about being lazy. It’s about what I know so far and continue to learn. I have soaked in water and then paper towel in the past. ☺️ It doesn’t take effort. Lol.

Fudge

Fudge

I got up and did them proper.
Love this, although in pain and probably wouldn't have gotten up. You're plants gave you the oomph to do it. I'm a big believer of use it or lose it, after my recent surgery mine helped me physically as well as therapeutically. I hope you're feeling better.

I'm halfway great read so far btw, plants are looking tremendous.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
It’s all good. I learn by “listening” to different approaches and perspectives. My thread’s been fairly quiet so I appreciate the traffic.
You can count the amount of 1st time indoor tent growers who are as savvy and doing as well as you are on one hand around here.

You have a feel and a knack for this already. The repetition is the only thing missing 👍😽🌱

Fudge

Fudge

Hey now, my chosen method isn’t about being lazy. It’s about what I know so far and continue to learn. I have soaked in water and then paper towel in the past. ☺ It doesn’t take effort. Lol.
I'll finish the thread off tomorrow with a coffee but this caught me eye as I was going to mention it when I was through reading. I agree I love the paper towel method for knowing its germinated but I leave mine until there an inch or so long. Some of my most vigorous plants have been 2 plus inches and lost there helmet already.

amekins

amekins

Love this, although in pain and probably wouldn't have gotten up. You're plants gave you the oomph to do it. I'm a big believer of use it or lose it, after my recent surgery mine helped me physically as well as therapeutically. I hope you're feeling better.

I'm halfway great read so far btw, plants are looking tremendous.
Yeah well they get pretty shitty, too. You’ll see.

amekins

amekins

You can count the amount of 1st time indoor tent growers who are as savvy and doing as well as you are on one hand around here.

You have a feel and a knack for this already. The repetition is the only thing missing 👍😽🌱
I appreciate the encouraging feedback. I’m just trying to figure it out. The other day I was pretty bummed about the tangerine dream and the whole fuck-up with Epsom salts and I got into this head space of “what made you think you could do this?” And then I reminded myself that master gardeners aren’t simply born. They develop through experience. And so will I.

amekins

amekins

I'll finish the thread off tomorrow with a coffee but this caught me eye as I was going to mention it when I was through reading. I agree I love the paper towel method for knowing its germinated but I leave mine until there an inch or so long. Some of my most vigorous plants have been 2 plus inches and lost there helmet already.
See I’m always afraid my ham hands will break the taproot. But I’m going to let it grow a bit more before planting next time.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

See I’m always afraid my ham hands will break the taproot. But I’m going to let it grow a bit more before planting next time.

This is why I've switched to dropping in dirt/coco and transplanting after a couple nodes. The same percentage of seeds will still germinate, but there's a lower percentage of seedlings lost to transplanting too early or not delicately enough.

amekins

amekins

This is why I've switched to dropping in dirt/coco and transplanting after a couple nodes. The same percentage of seeds will still germinate, but there's a lower percentage of seedlings lost to transplanting too early or not delicately enough.
I think part of the struggle for me is probably just maintaining appropriate moisture for the seed in the jiffy pellet without waterlogging it.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
It's also a practical matter of how the way seeds grow compared to clones. Seeds have tap roots that like to go straight down looking for water in sometimes hot, dry spring soil. They're adapted for that.

Clones on the other hand will go out in all directions depending on where the roots appear from. Usually a buried node pointing straight to the side of the pellet ime.

I already get the biggest 50 something mm jiffy I can and they're still not big enough for seeds imo.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I forgot the exact size but they're big 👍

20210318 230839

But even a solo cup gives you another 3 inches and with seeds that's big difference.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I am doing the same thing in 3" jiffy pots, yesterday I woke up to plants leaning over at 6:00 am due to 40 degree cold front and they drank all that days water. So during the day after they stood up with a little water, I gave they 10ml micro-dose of Oneness and by lights out they looked horrible. I may go ahead and up pot them tomorrow. Hang in there!

chemistry

chemistry

I am doing the same thing in 3" jiffy pots, yesterday I woke up to plants leaning over at 6:00 am due to 40 degree cold front and they drank all that days water. So during the day after they stood up with a little water, I gave they 10ml micro-dose of Oneness and by lights out they looked horrible. I may go ahead and up pot them tomorrow. Hang in there!

Pipe cleaners rule SS. 👍

Fudge

Fudge

It's also a practical matter of how the way seeds grow compared to clones. Seeds have tap roots that like to go straight down looking for water in sometimes hot, dry spring soil. They're adapted for that.

Clones on the other hand will go out in all directions depending on where the roots appear from. Usually a buried node pointing straight to the side of the pellet ime.

I already get the biggest 50 something mm jiffy I can and they're still not big enough for seeds imo.
Nursery bags with coco in, they do loads of sizes and are biodegradable

Top Bottom