Any Suggestions On Starting Old Seeds

• Thread starter Jimmer69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Appreciate the input but looking back, you’re the only one recommending fulvic acid and kelp, both of which i don’t have but will look for. Thought the ashes might contain karrikins and the oiled hinge makes sense as does scuffing. Not done yet by any means.
I'll second kelp. My mind is blanking, but it's one of the ways taught to professionals. Ga3, scuffing, and cold storage are what i was taught, with kelp mentioned, but not further studied. They're called stratification, scarification, and chemical treating(kno3 or ga3). Those are the "traditional" methods of waking dormant seeds. In recent years kelps effect on plants has been continually studied. This is anecdotal, and though i believe i'm correct, i may not be. It's shown to "help" germination because it contains hormones(ga,auxin,etc.) and can be a rich, easy food source.

TimeLine

TimeLine

a bottle of each seems reasonable to try heck I have thrown out 700ish seeds at this point
also if it does increase "old" seed germination rates then mine as well put it on those paid for seeds

sucks I burned through all my A,B,F seeds before I tried this other method

scraping them a few different ways did not help at all and actually seemed to have more issues

so far 1 plant is almost on 2nd set and thriving and one is just about to emerge from soil after wet tissue germ transplant

2 out of 700ish

BuddyLuv

BuddyLuv

I got some old seeds from 1977.. some of the best weed i ever had.. probably to late for them but i will try them soon.. perhaps after my current grow.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

a bottle of each seems reasonable to try heck I have thrown out 700ish seeds at this point
also if it does increase "old" seed germination rates then mine as well put it on those paid for seeds

scraping them a few different ways did not help at all and actually seemed to have more issues

so far 1 plant is almost on 2nd set and thriving and one is just about to emerge from soil after wet tissue germ transplant

2 out of 700ish
GA3 and freezing seeds that need it are far more successful in real trials for what it's worth. GA3 is dirt cheap and easy to use but not organic. Kelp is like an organic version.

Madbud

Madbud

2 out of 700ish
Ouch, that sucks, at least you got two.

Madbud

Madbud

I got some old seeds from 1977.. some of the best weed i ever had.. probably to late for them but i will try them soon.. perhaps after my current grow.
That old would be a landrace, got a picture?

BuddyLuv

BuddyLuv

Yes it is a landrace from indonesia. There they are.. i have saved them since i was a freshman in college.. hard black buds.. best weed i ever smoked. Only been growing 5 years.. still learning.. would love to get a couple to sprout..
20160923 165732

20160923 170123
TimeLine

TimeLine

will read into freezing seeds for future

will also order the 3 items mentioned in this thread why not really when you compare pricing to former poor spending habits it is easy to justify

this will be about 10mins worth of watching a stripper dance, 1 gross take out meal, 3 packs of smokes nowadays

will post results once everything arrives it will probly take a few days to order cuz ya know research into what brands is always a must

I wonder how many people who complain about X seed company seeds not germinating when they are searching the dungeons of these sites for long forgotten strains for a breeding project or whatever reason and really its just a matter of taking extra must needed steps

if I notice drastic rate increases from these products it seems almost nobrainer to just apply to every seed I try to germinate esp when it takes months to arrive in the first place

why don't seed companies just sell the kits

I see one does some secret oxygen/sugar solution and viles but I mean wtf should there not be some simple thing i just make for my own solution not that its super expensive as mentioned above but seems like a kitchen cabinet item logically

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

will read into freezing seeds for future

will also order the 3 items mentioned in this thread why not really when you compare pricing to former poor spending habits it is easy to justify

this will be about 10mins worth of watching a stripper dance, 1 gross take out meal, 3 packs of smokes nowadays

will post results once everything arrives it will probly take a few days to order cuz ya know research into what brands is always a must

I wonder how many people who complain about X seed company seeds not germinating when they are searching the dungeons of these sites for long forgotten strains for a breeding project or whatever reason and really its just a matter of taking extra must needed steps

if I notice drastic rate increases from these products it seems almost nobrainer to just apply to every seed I try to germinate esp when it takes months to arrive in the first place

why don't seed companies just sell the kits

I see one does some secret oxygen/sugar solution and viles but I mean wtf should there not be some simple thing i just make for my own solution not that its super expensive as mentioned above but seems like a kitchen cabinet item logically
GA3 is also a fairly "natural" way to create feminized seeds. It's a useful compound for an advanced cultivator for sure. You could use it to size up plants too, but i have no experience with that. Not into the compounds beyond this. I don't use rooting hormone either. Just GA3, kelp, and insecticide i never use lol.

TimeLine

TimeLine

this batch I have range from 1988 to 2006

I had an older friend die and he had a seed collection he had since the 70's an old cessna smuggler he had kept since then

we added to it from 1998 to 2013

It was so awesome I didn't know how to approach the family and I bet they just got thrown out
every first run ever basically

tis the past but I have still have a good amount welldid before this no germ issue and I really wanna relive the days through a few of these strains

lots of memories all those old timers for nothing else they gave us these cool stories

TimeLine

TimeLine

upon further research

fulvic acid seems to be better for leaf sprays and humic for root growth

I would assume water soluble powdered humic would do?

I see the Ga3 stuff on a vader video actually gonna try that also

Madbud

Madbud

Got a couple weakass looking root buds, trying one in a solo cup of thawed dirt.

46F33A14 50B8 4348 958B 9F1E8D1CD136
6F965655 9EDF 4DE0 B797 543841059809

Latest posts

Top Bottom