Any Suggestions On Starting Old Seeds

• Thread starter Jimmer69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
elcolombiano

elcolombiano

Does anyone have any idea of starting older seeds, someone I jnkn was telling me that this guy in California has a way to bring back 20 year old seeds ,with a 100 percent sussecc

how did it go? found any trusty method? i've got som 6+ y/o seeds that just wont break the shell, but they do swell up.

S

Spacetravler

Once its dead its dead, i donā€™t think you can germinate 20 year old seeds with 100% success, not even if they were properly stored. The seed is alive, true it is in statis but nonetheless it is slowly dying and can stay viable for even longer than 20 years if stored properly but 100% success seems far fetched to me. I would love to be wrong on this one tho.
Seeds stored in the tombs in Egypt for hundred of years and still germinated
I was amazed to read this so thereā€™s always hope. I have done this with older
Seeds. I gently wash and skuff up the outside and place in room temperature water with a splash of h2o2 and wait for tails to appear....up to a week, I do change the water after a few days and add more h202.

chemistry

chemistry

I was only talking to some one the other day about this, he works in Conservation, replanting wild places with local growing plants and seeds. Then we got talking about bringing back extinct plants, or seed held in seed stores that may or may not germinate. We then went onto how to rejuvenate old seeds that had seen better days. The gent went on to say that they had some really good results by adding a couple of drops of veg oil into a baggie, chuck in the seeds, give it a shake, wella! He said the veg oil puts back the oil that would be in the husk of the seed, said with out the oil the hinge on the seed won't work, so can't crack, so this ties in with people biting their old seeds. And it stands to reason that and oilly seed like hemp must need the oil, so maybe there is some thing in what he says, if anyone tries it and has success with this method, hit me up and let me know.

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

I was only talking to some one the other day about this, he works in Conservation, replanting wild places with local growing plants and seeds. Then we got talking about bringing back extinct plants, or seed held in seed stores that may or may not germinate. We then went onto how to rejuvenate old seeds that had seen better days. The gent went on to say that they had some really good results by adding a couple of drops of veg oil into a baggie, chuck in the seeds, give it a shake, wella! He said the veg oil puts back the oil that would be in the husk of the seed, said with out the oil the hinge on the seed won't work, so can't crack, so this ties in with people biting their old seeds. And it stands to reason that and oilly seed like hemp must need the oil, so maybe there is some thing in what he says, if anyone tries it and has success with this method, hit me up and let me know.
cool!
right now im tryng to germinate about 20 seeds that are over 5 years old... were just stored in plastic bags, no fridge. I'm trying several method to germinate. If none work, i will try using oil and report back!

chemistry

chemistry

cool!
right now im tryng to germinate about 20 seeds that are over 5 years old... were just stored in plastic bags, no fridge. I'm trying several method to germinate. If none work, i will try using oil and report back!

Thanks, the guy I was talking to seemed to know his stuff, and I wish now I had some old seeds to try. lol

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Professionals use gibberellic acid to wake dormant seeds. It's pretty cheap and can be used to make feminized seeds.

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Does anyone have any idea of starting older seeds, someone I jnkn was telling me that this guy in California has a way to bring back 20 year old seeds ,with a 100 percent sussecc
I just popped an original pack of 08 BC God Bud with 100% germination rate. No special techniques or potions. Just tossed them in the plugs, put a dome on the tray and set the ambient to 78%. I think germination issues arise from improper storage more than anything else

chemistry

chemistry

I popped a 5 year old original Afgani that I found in a paper wrap in the kitchen drawer.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I stick old seeds into promix soil, no nutes inert soil, damp, in solo cups , cover with wet paper towel in a warm humid environment, and Iā€™ve had 60-80% germination rate depending on storage of old seeds.
They pop. 20 plus yr old original strain blue dream. Properly stored, 100% rate of germination and boy is she healthy in a matter of weeks

AAEED47C 4F05 4775 8B42 801826D4203D
A19CE0CC 6A08 4536 81DC 889E59C1190F
3FABE08E 49AE 4A1F 9892 366F66378A69
83760178 D7AF 4178 88AF F424109A80DF
38F56745 8EDC 4D08 9815 0E6571E05FAC
N

nicefellow

I ordered them off a web site, I live in Michigan ,I thought they where coming from traverse City, but they came from across sees ,which I don't care ,but I germinate with a damp paper towel under a light in a cantaner ,and have no problems till resently. That is why I believe that they were older seeds,

Only recently happened to me for 1st time after many grows they were th seeds gelato 33 x French cookies, only 2 out of 6 popped (every seed has popped for last 5 grows at least)

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I successfully popped some seeds that were over 15 years old using this seed soak, got 100%:

Water: 100ml
Ful-Power: 0.875ml
Nitrozyme Seaweed Extract: 0.5ml
Plain Chlorine Bleach: 0.1 drop

Soak until they sink, no longer than 24hrs or they'll drown.

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

Pop some 15+ year old seeds with 'just water' and get back to me.

I stick old seeds into promix soil, no nutes inert soil, damp, in solo cups , cover with wet paper towel in a warm humid environment, and Iā€™ve had 60-80% germination rate depending on storage of old seeds.
They pop. 20 plus yr old original strain blue dream. Properly stored, 100% rate of germination and boy is she healthy in a matter of weeks

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Have tried popping some of these 20-40 year old beans with zero success. Stored cool and dark. Been saving ashes from joints to see if maybe that will help on the next attempt.
When u soak them 24 hrs do they sink? Those that do may pop but yea the rate is lower bro. Shoot start like 20 and see if any pop?
Iā€™ve been lucky. I guess. Still the successs rate is near 60%. My seeds were sealed well and stored in a vault with year round cool temps. I been saving seeds since 84

Madbud

Madbud

When u soak them 24 hrs do they sink? Those that do may pop but yea the rate is lower bro. Shoot start like 20 and see if any pop?
Iā€™ve been lucky. I guess. Still the successs rate is near 60%. My seeds were sealed well and stored in a vault with year round cool temps. I been saving seeds since 84
Yā€™know, the past two years iā€™ve had 100% germination with fresh grown or bag seeds and 6ā€ pots of MG seedling soil. Tried some old seeds, nothing. Floated a dozen on water, still nothing, eventually a floating mold formed. Heres a couple for an experiment. Shook in a tube of sandpaper, then floated on spring water with a sprinkle of pot ash (wish it was some coconut water) at room temp. Weā€™ll see

Last edited:
chemistry

chemistry

Have tried popping some of these 20-40 year old beans with zero success. Stored cool and dark. Been saving ashes from joints to see if maybe that will help on the next attempt.

I'd flick any seeds in the bag that don't have a pattern on into the bin, then flick through the patterned ones for cracks and splits and dump them. Get a seed tray and plant some of what you have left, and just keep going, you've got to have at least one popper some were in the bag, nobody is that unlucky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom