Any Suggestions On Starting Old Seeds

• Thread starter Jimmer69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Take and very gently use a emery board for womens nails. Scuff the shell all around the seed. Take care not to file all the way down to the seed kernel. Only want to gently abrade the outer surface. Soak in water overnight and then germinate with your favorite method. :smoking::cool:

Again, the key is to abrade but not all the way to the kernel. Works great!!!!! If they are still truly viable and alive. :D

Last edited:
Madbud

Madbud

I'd flick any seeds in the bag that don't have a pattern on into the bin, then flick through the patterned ones for cracks and splits and dump them. Get a seed tray and plant some of what you have left, and just keep going, you've got to have at least one popper some were in the bag, nobody is that unlucky.
Funny, they look healthy, no cracks but no patterns like todays seeds.

Madbud

Madbud

At 24 hours all the seeds but one have sank to the bottom and placed in wet unbleached coffee filters at room temp. Again, there isn’t a seed here less than 18 years old and some of the bag dates back to 1975. Just spring water and pot ashes.

Reactions: Ina
elcolombiano

elcolombiano

At 24 hours all the seeds but one have sank to the bottom and placed in wet unbleached coffee filters at room temp. Again, there isn’t a seed here less than 18 years old and some of the bag dates back to 1975. Just spring water and pot ashes.

i find warm water helps them sink faster.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I'm sure you *can* pop seeds with plain water but fulvic, bleach, and hormones will undoubtedly help your germination rates.

TimeLine

TimeLine

I have a similar issue

Same deal bags upon bags of great "upper mids" the shit that people highly sought after at one time

Last year I only tried 2 kinds

1 turned out to be what I called Corn weed resembled corn so much was crap attracted stink bugs and sucked until about a week before ready then the buds transformed into amazing tight colorful nugs just always a veggy smell

the other was a great lemon smelling skunk with main stalk covered in stank and crystals sucks thieves were thankfully stopped but they had hacked already didn't fully get to finish to full potential got a clipping though from earlier july storm damage

anyways now I move my entire batch of "old seeds" upstairs as my furnace went last year and needed work done(sucks lost a ton of work) side note when creating a grow area really start from ground up you got an old shitty furnace maybe replace that before you go buying climate controls losing a few strains that were fire daaam pricey

well crap yea seeds moving them from basement to 2nd floor nearish window where it gets probly 10 to 35 degrees warmer and much more light seemed to maybe doom switch them all

I guess all could have randomly went bad but these do have timespans and different containers so I think the common variable was moving from original spot that they seemed to hold well in

gonna keep cracking but serious around 500 or so cracked from well letter A to H and a few other variations

the LSFF strain is the lone wolf

L=container with lid
S it was silver
F floated in H2o2 water
F floated in sugar oxygen water

rare is indeed perception

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Take and very gently use a emery board for womens nails. Scuff the shell all around the seed. Take care not to file all the way down to the seed kernel. Only want to gently abrade the outer surface. Soak in water overnight and then germinate with your favorite method. :smoking::cool:

Again, the key is to abrade but not all the way to the kernel. Works great!!!!! If they are still truly viable and alive. :D
I found that putting them in a baggie along with some very fine sand paper and shaking for 20 seconds does the trick better than I can with my fumble fingers..LOL

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I found that putting them in a baggie along with some very fine sand paper and shaking for 20 seconds does the trick better than I can with my fumble fingers..LOL

If you want to take this to the next level line the inside of a film canister with skateboard grip tape or adhesive backed sandpaper.

Madmax

Madmax

I always keep the water warm and way over room temp..its reasonably warm but not hot..
Just try it and see what happens.and dont let it go luke warm..
I like the sanding idea...

Madbud

Madbud

I was only talking to some one the other day about this, he works in Conservation, replanting wild places with local growing plants and seeds. Then we got talking about bringing back extinct plants, or seed held in seed stores that may or may not germinate. We then went onto how to rejuvenate old seeds that had seen better days. The gent went on to say that they had some really good results by adding a couple of drops of veg oil into a baggie, chuck in the seeds, give it a shake, wella! He said the veg oil puts back the oil that would be in the husk of the seed, said with out the oil the hinge on the seed won't work, so can't crack, so this ties in with people biting their old seeds. And it stands to reason that and oilly seed like hemp must need the oil, so maybe there is some thing in what he says, if anyone tries it and has success with this method, hit me up and let me know.
Smeared a couple drops of olive oil on the filters and flipped it to see if the oil will rise through the seeds. Snuck a peek and there appear to be some root buds starting! I like the idea of lubing the hinge.

Madbud

Madbud

Been five days and its still just wet beans. Gonna put some heat to these bitches on top of the boiler. The coffee filters have a good wicking quality so they shouldn’t dry out. My typical half ass attempt.

D0AC8777 AC38 40D0 AAEC 374F8748F5F2
hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I mean, ashes miiiiight work...or you could have listened to everyone who recommended fulvic acid and seaweed extract.

TimeLine

TimeLine

I B hyzer flipping meat hooks

serious though does that solution u mention really increase rates that much?

I guess I can try for myself

any in the industry peeps offering wouldn't mind supporting the cause

I have not tried yet but the hinge not fully opening does seem to be an issue the oil trick really work?

cuz any other method besides those 2 are not really working

Madbud

Madbud

I mean, ashes miiiiight work...or you could have listened to everyone who recommended fulvic acid and seaweed extract.
Appreciate the input but looking back, you’re the only one recommending fulvic acid and kelp, both of which i don’t have but will look for. Thought the ashes might contain karrikins and the oiled hinge makes sense as does scuffing. Not done yet by any means.

Top Bottom