Anyone else having problems with Lumatek ballast?

• Thread starter nightmarecreature
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nightmarecreature

First off I went with Lumatek because I was told they are one of the best ballast. I bought two 600 watt ballasts. I have used one for a year with no problems and the other I used for four months and it went dead. I'm pretty pissed off because not only did this thing go out after 4 months but I tried calling Lumatek for the last two days and it says they are not in the office. Come on this is during business hours! Then I tried leaving a voice mail and their inbox is full and you can't leave a voice mail. Then I sent them an email and I don't know if the email was even sent because of the crappy website. Anyone else having the same problem with them. I have never seen customer service this bad for any product! It's like they are running it out of Mexico in some cave.

K

Kron Don

Yes, go to where you purchased your ballast and they SHOULD take care of you! Lumateks are a good ballast, one of the top ones IMO. Quantums have been getting more & more popular with the few returns they are having now. Hydrofarms Phantoms are top quality as well!

budboy299

budboy299

I had a problem with a constantly tripping breaker. Aprox 2 yrs ago
My situation was it was purchased through the internet and the bill and packaging discarded.

I contacted Lumatek and was told this....

to first call their number and tell them what is going on...then they issue a RA#
then ship to them (did so at my own expense)
about 2 weeks later a brand new ballast was in my hands.
Only caveat was that they would only cover it this was if I was located in the USA.

3 yrs full replacement, next 2 yrs pro-rated

after calling and getting an RA#

Ship to 55 frosty Lane
Novato, CA 94949
Attn: Lumatek

Lumatek’s number is Tel: 1-415-233-4273
or 1-866-369-8943

Hope this helps....they did treat me quite fairly as I had no receipt or original packaging.
I imagine they go by something stamped on the unit or something. -BB

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

lumatek had some issues with 1000s a couple years ago. from what ive heard they have it mostly sorted though. if you are consistently having ballast problems i would look at your electrical job and load.

N

nightmarecreature

Thanks for the helps, lots of good info. I bought the two ballasts on ebay but I still have the recipe. They were purchased from a hydro shop.

N

nightmarecreature

AHH I think I'm screwed. I just went on Ebay and tried to contact the seller. I have my reciept but the problem is the seller and the store went out of business...... :(

K

Kron Don

The problem with buying online is that exact issue. You have no place to take it in and get it swapped out so you are left waiting week(s) for your light to come back. Im all about local for that reason. Great customer service and always great info. But I understand the saving the money thing but IMO its worth the extra $$$ not to have to put up with the online BS. But I hope all goes well for you buddy!

N

nightmarecreature

My local hydro store wants $253 for it. I bought it online for $170 shipped. Thats a huge difference in price.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

U pay for what u get. In all honesty, its best to start a good relationship with ur local shop. Ive lived in many places and this is my first step upon arrival. Usually matching online priceZ

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
My local hydro store wants $253 for it. I bought it online for $170 shipped. Thats a huge difference in price.
They could have sold you a used ballast on ebay...How would you know if there were no scratch marks?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
$250 for a 600watter? Mine has Solis TEk 1kw Matrix for $250...look for a new shop or see if they can price match somewhat...

N

nightmarecreature

I checked out the Lumatek and it was not used. I thought about that already since I have used Ebay since 2002. It has never been opened, I also took a magnifying glass and looked at the screws. The frame had no scratch marks whats so ever and everything was packaged. My other Lumatek I have had for a year and I bought it from the same seller at the same time. One of them was just a lemon.

It's really $230 but with tax it came out to $253. That's also the cheapest store within 50 miles of me. The local hydro stores in my area are straight rape!

budboy299

budboy299

Still contact them....I had NO receipt or original packaging. I couldn't even remember the ebay seller when I chatted with the Lumatek rep.
I honestly believe they can tell when you ship to them as to when it was made.

Worst you are out at that point is a phone call

budboy299

budboy299

and honestly its worth it to have an extra ballast...just for when one goes out and its nightime or a long weekend or your busy etc.
Unless you have friends with extra ballasts...

K

Kron Don

Thats because online has NO OVERHEAD. So yo can get shit way cheaper and MOST shops wont even bother entertaining your question about matching prices because most of the time you would be making nothing or slim to none. And you may have saved money but look at the situation you are in, I agree with TheOneandOnly. Start a good relationship with a hydro store you feel good about and go from there. Online is good for certain things but for equipment I would always say go to a store so you can avoid this BS. And all 600ws are relatively the SAME price as thouies. Oh and if you buy a ballast online just check the manufactures printed date, good for 5 years, unless its a quantum.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Thats because online has NO OVERHEAD. So yo can get shit way cheaper and MOST shops wont even bother entertaining your question about matching prices because most of the time you would be making nothing or slim to none. And you may have saved money but look at the situation you are in, I agree with TheOneandOnly. Start a good relationship with a hydro store you feel good about and go from there. Online is good for certain things but for equipment I would always say go to a store so you can avoid this BS. And all 600ws are relatively the SAME price as thouies. Oh and if you buy a ballast online just check the manufactures printed date, good for 5 years, unless its a quantum.
look online, 600watter quantum and 1kw quantum, way diff prices.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
With magnetics they are about the same cost but not at all with digitals.

K

Kron Don

Oh yeah I was referring to magnetics my bad, good catch. Everything besides electronic ballasts, including bulbs, are relatively the same for 600w's. Definitely worth the money to get electronic but tons of people like magnetics for the reason that you can repair them especially after that warranty is out.

waayne

waayne

Luckily for me, my local dealer is righteous and fair and a great guy in general, as I've had 3 -400 watt, 4- 600 watt and somewhere between
12-14 1000 watt Lumateks fail on me in the last 2 1/2 years....
in the same time period 1-1000 watt magnetic ballast failed
and all my original Quantums are running fine and have yet to have a failure.........

My local dealer has replaced all of the ones I've had fail,and now when I walk in he just asks me how many I'm returning today........;)

Top Bottom