anyone ever tried real organic hydroponics?

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bckwht

Many kinds prefer warm water..research recirculating aquaculture and that's where u should find most of the fish info, also check out UVI model of aquaponics from dr Rakocy or even Murray hallams stuff..I'm finding new shit daily..for small home models, media beds are practically a no brainer if you can handle raising a few fish

Anyone near San diego should try to check out Archi's Acres. I just stumbled onto there site and am really interested in his method. From the YouTube video I saw, it looks like he has a 300 gal res(sump?) that they add home brewed compost tea too and it's circulated through a bio filter, atleast that's what it looks like, then through the nft channels and back to the sump..in one video a guy says they make the tea with stuf like ewc, fish meal, coco fiber..that's all he mentioned..anyone use coir in there tea? Maybe he meant to say something else though

Anyone interested in aquaponics should check out backyard aquaponics forum..if u have time, check out the chattersons farm thread- this guy is aquaponic machine!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ooooo more research, my favorite! This looks awesome, I'm having daydreams of running my veg with an aquaponic system, and having fresh fish for dinner!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Or composting whole fish :^}

If you think I'm going to go to all that trouble just to grind up perfectly good fish and throw it in the ground, you have another think coming! Besides, fins, bones, guts and head will all still go into the compost. Waste nothing!

Fried fish n chips...
Fish curry...
South Pacific style, with ginger and pineapple...
Slow roasted with a sprig of rosemary...

Might have a few pics worthy of the "what's cookin" thread someday soon, who knows?

B

bckwht

Ive been thinkin about that as well! A lot of systems separate the larger solids, so u can compost that if u want..also could make your own fish emulsion or hydrolysate...some people just water container plants with some water from there aquaponic setup..Possibilities are endless

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Many kinds prefer warm water..research recirculating aquaculture and that's where u should find most of the fish info, also check out UVI model of aquaponics from dr Rakocy or even Murray hallams stuff..I'm finding new shit daily..for small home models, media beds are practically a no brainer if you can handle raising a few fish

Anyone near San diego should try to check out Archi's Acres. I just stumbled onto there site and am really interested in his method. From the YouTube video I saw, it looks like he has a 300 gal res(sump?) that they add home brewed compost tea too and it's circulated through a bio filter, atleast that's what it looks like, then through the nft channels and back to the sump..in one video a guy says they make the tea with stuf like ewc, fish meal, coco fiber..that's all he mentioned..anyone use coir in there tea? Maybe he meant to say something else though

Anyone interested in aquaponics should check out backyard aquaponics forum..if u have time, check out the chattersons farm thread- this guy is aquaponic machine!
We used to get all our aquatic plants from an outfit in Ramona. Petco HQ DC (distribution center) was where I was working at the time, early 90s, out in Miramar. I lived in the San Carlos area (if you remember the homeless guy who stole the bus, then circled through Lake Murray Blvd, Navajo and I think Fletcher Pkwy, then you know where I lived).

Gotta check this stuff out. I'm feelin' fishy again.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm going to do this this summer; build a backyard aquaponic setup with beds in the sun and fish in a tank in the garage. If it works, I'll reboot my veg zone and run it!

I'll start simple with tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro...

dirtyglovedank

dirtyglovedank

Fwiw I take my left over veganic tea solution and put it on my cherry tomatoes plants from top to bottom and they were the best tasting and sweetest I've ever had to date .also they got over seven foot tall had to use a ladder to get the top ones ..LOL but i think that organic hydro would be awesome ..what about natures nectar nutes with some more veganic ones that are already chelated so they would be readly available ...
DGD

dirtyglovedank

dirtyglovedank

IMAG0338

These were over 7ft tall when done I had buckets of tomatoes everyday .. :-)

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I know it's great for veg but has anyone flowered or fruited in aqua ponic?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know people have and there was a guy I was in communication with, can't remember via which forum, but he tried it with guppies. Not quite a success.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I know people have and there was a guy I was in communication with, can't remember via which forum, but he tried it with guppies. Not quite a success.

I'm very interested in this idea- and I'm in it for the fish. It would take a lot of guppies to full me up!

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Yes! If someone gets one up and going in Co, please let me come see. I know a nice forty-something trustfunder that has a full setup in the mountains and says he doesn't run it aquaponics anymore- when asked why he said it was just too much work for fish when he can buy fish. BooHoo.

I'd love to see one in action.

Fish Soup!!!

stutter

stutter

Hey guys im running a small aquaponics grow now. Just in veg at the moment but its growing beautifully.

All my research points to flowering in aquaponic being just fine. More mature systems will be best and having worms in you grow bed are a big help.

Younger systems dont seem to produce much potassium which can hold flowers back but it can easily be supplemented with seasol or worm juice to bring the potassium back up.

Im only on my first run so this is all just internet study so far but I will stick a shot up of my plant when I get home and if your all interested I will log the grow here for you so we can all watch it bloom together. I would love yo know what you all think about it as it happens

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Interesting, so you're finding it's the K levels that are what restrict flowering plants from doing well in aquaponics, not the P as I've been thinking?

I miss having fish.

stutter

stutter

honestly seamaiden im not sure. i havnt flowered yet, still just in veg but i have been scouring the aquaponics websites and it certainly seems it's the K and there are a few options to correct it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Beauty. :)

Is this gonna be your grow thread, then? It would be great if you continued to follow up on how things work out using these methods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom