anyone ever tried real organic hydroponics?

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stutter

stutter

a week as gone buy and everything is looking good. i cant wait to flip this 12/12

IMG 4052

stutter

stutter

on a side note i was experimenting with hand watering drain to waste coco using the tank water and it wasnt working. apparently to make the most of aquaponics you really really want a constant feed

ttystikk

ttystikk

on a side note i was experimenting with hand watering drain to waste coco using the tank water and it wasnt working. apparently to make the most of aquaponics you really really want a constant feed

Mine are generally okay with 15-30 seconds every three or four hours, but they get to dip their toes in my rdwc as well.

stutter

stutter

Yeah I was only feeding once every other day like I do with synthetic nutes.

stutter

stutter

so i was away for around 1o days on a holiday. i came home to this hot mess.

IMG 4478

did have a very low res which meant high fish to water ratio which meant lots of poo, which meant bacteria were working overtime, which meant high PH, which meant deficiencies. so a little mag def and a little cal def but other than that she did pretty well all on her own. next time i will add a float valve and a top up bucket and i bet the ph would stay in range the whole time.

pretty happy with everything, if it had of been traditional hydro it probably would have been worse tan this when i got back

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
MAN do those girls look healthy, too. How far along into flowering are they?

stutter

stutter

wow thank you seamaiden. it hasnt been a perfect run with my holiday and everything but im very happy so far. she's only about 2 weeks 12/12 so flowering took a little longer to set in aqua but it may be worth noting i did get a potassium deficiency when i flipped to 12/12.

i added 1g of potassium sulphate (potash) per 10l of water and it pulled everything back in line and the flower response has been strong ever since. i think next round i will have er a little more dialled in. i dont think that little hiccup is going to affect yield much though as she's blooming quite quickly and the frost is already building up.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Looks to be right on time/on par with any other method or media to me!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow! What's your feeding schedule right now? What do the parameters test out at? Are you testing DO levels, too?

stutter

stutter

feeding schedule is organic fish feed 4 times a day and 1g potassium sulphate (potash) per 1 gal top up water and thats it.

i dont test TDS but i do test water quality and my parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and about 5 ppm nitrates. so the water is very clean and healthy and the palnt is using almost all the available nutrients. its right on the balance point.

oh and PH is self buffering at 6.3 these days. the system is getting stronger and stronger as time goes by. next grow should be a beast with the system running at much stronger levels.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You're just feeding the fish, plus the KSO4, and that's it? Not even added leonardite? Are you able to test for P? That's the nutrient I assumed would be the most problematic in this scenario. I'm very impressed and feeling O so fishy! What fish are you keeping in there? Just goldies..?

stutter

stutter

i cant test for p that i know of but i havnt seen any signs of a p deficiency whereas i actually had a K def before adding the KSO4. i have done a lot of reading though and it seems that those who have had there water tested actually had an abundance of P some so much that they think they had too much and it was causing algal blooms, so if that is true then P probably isnt something i need to worry about. again its all a learning curve and the end result will be the real test. if my yields are low this round i will try again next time adding something like potassium phosphate instead to increase both P and K.

as for the fish i currently have 7 x 5cm comets/shubunkins they are the main waste producers. i also added a few very small bristlenose catfich to eat some extra algae and one little tiny Koi who i got just because he was so cool and will look awesome once he gets big, he is all white with a red spot on his head

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not P-, P+ is what I was thinking, leading to algal blooms is what can happen if the system isn't perfectly balanced.

I still love goldfish.

vaporedout

vaporedout

to cool, i really wanted to do this as well, i read and read about it and now i get to see a real one ;) i missed this one earlier. they sell a very small kit at whole foods for 60 bucks, its a small tank (5 gal at the most) and it has 2 sites for your veggies. its getting people more informed. i wanted to try it with edible fish though ;) make a self sustaining source of food and smoke

C

cctt

I've run aquaponics with trout before (60F water) and also added potassium sulfate to supplement lacking K levels. P was never an issue. If anything, Ca was also needing a touch more, but otherwise things went fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom