Anyone Tried The New Ceramic Lights?

• Thread starter DC105
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

would you care to share some pictures of lets say 2 week veg 4 week as well in flower veg and strain info ???
thanks
I still am a firm believer that CMH is pretty good for Suplimental lighting as for pap's well there again really designed as supplemental lighting as well ,, Would not a full spectrum LED do the same thing ??? many will say well it runs cooler my answer is nothing runs cooler especially when ballasts and eletricity is used temps are important for bulb life and performance tests have proven that in the past numerous times LED's do produce heat
More n more people are jumping away from what plants need and tend to jump to areas like spectrums, microbiology forgetting what this is all about the love of growing ??
lights are 1/4 of qaulity there are many other factors that come into play how dialed in a room is strain used
is many parts of the world that landrace strain does not get full sunlight so it adapts , Elevation lat ,
In my Humble opinion grow the best you can how you can and be happy you didn't get caught
There are reason why HPS is used in flower more so then MH , also as in nature and angle of sun and deflection of the poles being autumn . fall in nature there is less full spectrum wouldnt it make sense to mimic nature to the best you can //
is there any 930 agro shows that actually yielded 930 grams ???? would love to see it
I just fired them up a week ago and haven't decided how many are for veg or to supplement my new Gravitas. Check my grow threads for pics in the near future.

Oh and 930 is the philips code for the color spectrum, not how many grams it will grow :D:cool:

Last edited:
Billyboat

Billyboat

@MGRox was that study only done with only the small 39W cmh? He mentions "a long cylindrical ceramic arc tube (aspect ratio of about 5)", which is different than in the 315W models (looks closer to 1:1). I didn't read the rest of his book except 3.7.1 on Lamp Geometry, but does he look at the actual lamps we use?

I have some of the newest 930 Agro in both positions with no visible difference so far. Ballasts are 3rd gen Welthink LFSW plus sine wave. I don't have any of the "daylight" lamps LI offers with the Dpap, but FWIW seeing the two burning next to each other at the store, Billyboat's pic looks like a row of each color lamp.

They are the exact same lamps, I even doubled checked.

CannaTech

CannaTech

@MGRox $77 each for a ballast without socket. Or enclosure. :-D

Im about to pick up 5 of them wheb they set their shipment in, in 3 weeks. Now i gotta find a socket to run the phillips... Anyone know the socket size?

Fever these are not CMH its a ceramic lanp but not really a Metal halide form per say. They are refered to as CDL's and LEC's. I said the same thing just reading the first half of this post till i was corrected about what it actually is.
True CMH bulbs are OK but these are not those

MGRox

MGRox

@CannaTech you can't beat that price at all!!! Do they have a distributor in the States?

The socket for the bulbs can be 2 different styles: PGZ18 or PGZX18
Quote from another site: "PGZ18 is used on enclosed luminaires, so you can use an unprotected bulb (in case it explodes). You can use a PGZX18 bulb in either PGZX18/PGZ18 sockets, but you can't use a PGZ18 bulb in a PGZX18 socket."
I only found the PGZ18 socket very commonly;

@Herb Forester No, they did not test the 315w CMH; I was just considering that they are all in the "mastercolor" series here. I do not think there have been any acoustic measurements on the 315w and it's pretty new. The small CMH's have been used for 20-30 years, so they've been investigated quite a bit. If you cannot see a variation and you mention a diffferent aspect ratio; then it is quite possible they corrected the issue with the 315w. I am glad to hear what you say there as there may be a chance I run one of these; though I was hoping vert. xD

Edit: man with that ballast, socket and bulb; we're under 200.00 now! That's more like it.

Oh I guess also phillips mentions the 315w; comparing it to a 400w MH (makes sense there).

CannaTech

CannaTech

@CannaTech you can't beat that price at all!!! Do they have a distributor in the States?

The socket for the bulbs can be 2 different styles: PGZ18 or PGZX18
Quote from another site: "PGZ18 is used on enclosed luminaires, so you can use an unprotected bulb (in case it explodes). You can use a PGZX18 bulb in either PGZX18/PGZ18 sockets, but you can't use a PGZ18 bulb in a PGZX18 socket."
I only found the PGZ18 socket very commonly;

@Herb Forester No, they did not test the 315w CMH; I was just considering that they are all in the "mastercolor" series here. I do not think there have been any acoustic measurements on the 315w and it's pretty new. The small CMH's have been used for 20-30 years, so they've been investigated quite a bit. If you cannot see a variation and you mention a diffferent aspect ratio; then it is quite possible they corrected the issue with the 315w. I am glad to hear what you say there as there may be a chance I run one of these; though I was hoping vert. xD

Edit: man with that ballast, socket and bulb; we're under 200.00 now! That's more like it.

Oh I guess also phillips mentions the 315w; comparing it to a 400w MH (makes sense there).
Actually i miss read my quote the ballasts are 188 each the lamps are 77 sorry about the confusion. Yes the distributor is in colorado bravo-lightin

MGRox

MGRox

Homer

Kurtimas

Kurtimas

I'm currently running 36x Sun Systems LEC 630W 4100k for my Veg room.
I feel that they work extremely well, although I have to keep them a good distance from the plant because if you bring them down close to even 3 feet away from the canopy you will see light burn, I keep them 4-5 feet away and the plants seem to have vigorous growth, a complex root system and much thicker stalks and branches.. doesn't even compare to other lights.

Thats just my two cents.

20150402_135948.jpg

Last edited:
stutter

stutter

@DrFever go chek out the second page of this thread and you will see my dream beaver grow, 315w 420g you can do the maths.

i know a bunch of growers using these lights hitting 1 gpw is the norm for people not even aiming for the gpw. those who push it are pullinng 1.5 and over gpw.

think of a 600w yield with half the watts the gpw is a breeze to achieve. if someone is not hitting gpw with these lamps i would call that as grower error. IMO the double dpaps the 630w are a total waste of cash because a single 315w does such a good job, why cram 2 into the one reflector when you could grab a second 315w and double the footprint and effective grow space doubling yield

Kurtimas

Kurtimas

If anyone is looking for a barely used, just hung and ran for a most of 24 hours and has just been hanging. Very Clean. Works great.
Sun System LEC 630w, 240V, 4100k phillips bulbs (2x 315w)
I have 2 for sure that i would be willing to sell, possibly a couple more)
If you are looking for something along those lines, shoot me a PM and ill give you a fair price.

*Im not sure if posting something like this is allowed here or not, so if its not allowed please inform me. :D

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I keep the lights about 65k to 75k lumens off the top of the plants with good results. Avg about 15-16inches.

V

VGI

So the cheapest price on these is sill the Sun System? I can get it for 450~ US by the 8th on growers house...any cheaper?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

If anyone is looking for a barely used, just hung and ran for a most of 24 hours and has just been hanging. Very Clean. Works great.
Sun System LEC 630w, 240V, 4100k phillips bulbs (2x 315w)
I have 2 for sure that i would be willing to sell, possibly a couple more)
If you are looking for something along those lines, shoot me a PM and ill give you a fair price.

*Im not sure if posting something like this is allowed here or not, so if its not allowed please inform me. :D
Yeah....this is a security concern from what I have been told. Perhaps one of the mods can delete the post.

V

VGI

Just ordered one of these from Growers House for 435...can't wait to get it, will be using it in a 3x3 and might compare it to an LeD of equal quality after this summer!

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Just ordered one of these from Growers House for 435...can't wait to get it, will be using it in a 3x3 and might compare it to an LeD of equal quality after this summer!
In vege, a 3x3 is a little small try to shade little ones and keep the light all the way up. The plants will stay short, stalky and bushy. They will stretch nice and tight in bloom. Keep the light at 65k to 75k lumens to the tops of the plants in bloom.

V

VGI

In vege, a 3x3 is a little small try to shade little ones and keep the light all the way up. The plants will stay short, stalky and bushy. They will stretch nice and tight in bloom. Keep the light at 65k to 75k lumens to the tops of the plants in bloom.

Yeah I was going to use it strictly for flower. I just use Cree CFL/LED bulbs for Veg

CannaTech

CannaTech

If you read my post, Bravo lighting in CO. has them much cheaper than that. 125 for ballast and socket then buy your own hood from elsewhere. had you read my post previous, you would know this.

Top Bottom