Anyone use Uninterrupted Power Supply?

• Thread starter freezeland2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

We are having an ice storm here. Been going steady since around 2:00am. I’m starting to experience rapid power surges, like a second or two apart with one right after the other. Has happened probably twenty times in the last hour. I’m considering shutting the rooms down until this shit stops. Harvesting this weekend anyway.

But all this has me wondering what uninterrupted power supplies folks might be using beside a generator. If any.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Screenshot 20221215 160730 Google

freezeland2

freezeland2

I have a UPS on my computer equipment but that wouldn’t cut it for running exhaust fans and humidifier or dehumidifier when the power goes out.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Your funny. Not quite what I meant, but that is funny.
Your limits without a generator would be with power storage, however a UPS system gives a source of uninterrupted power to computers in the business world and could be used to keep your plants out of total darkness. Even the larger units probably wouldn't have enough of a charge for power your grow lights for long but it might be enough to keep pumps running if you're running hydro. You could run a low watt light source for quite a while with one of those too ... just depends on how much storage the back up system has.

Edit: Looks like you already thought of it.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Your limits without a generator would be with power storage, however a UPS system gives a source of uninterrupted power to computers in the business world and could be used to keep your plants out of total darkness. Even the larger units probably wouldn't have enough of a charge for power your grow lights for long but it might be enough to keep pumps running if you're running hydro. You could run a low watt light source for quite a while with one of those too ... just depends on how much storage the back up system has.

Edit: Looks like you already thought of it.
I’m thinking something like this https://growattportable.com/product...W9ZCeimcmdzRWGLEjcerxHKnvORM3HkoaAo-3EALw_wcB

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

AFAIK, battery storage hasn't quite gotten to the point where we can power our rooms for an extended period of time without a big chunk of cash being involved. Certainly, you could setup a Tesla battery wall and have the power you need to be able to weather any short term outages but you're talking in the tens of thousands of dollars for a setup like that.

Even a generator setup ain't cheap unless it's a portable one but then there's the hassle of having to tap it into the main box.

In one of my businesses I had setup a server rack with blade servers to hold all of the companies data. We had large, commercial APC UPS's but even those were only good for a few hours. Just enough time for the admin(me) to be able to backup data in case of network meltdown.

freezeland2

freezeland2

AFAIK, battery storage hasn't quite gotten to the point where we can power our rooms for an extended period of time without a big chunk of cash being involved. Certainly, you could setup a Tesla battery wall and have the power you need to be able to weather any short term outages but you're talking in the tens of thousands of dollars for a setup like that.

Even a generator setup ain't cheap unless it's a portable one but then there's the hassle of having to tap it into the main box.

In one of my businesses I had setup a server rack with blade servers to hold all of the companies data. We had large, commercial APC UPS's but even those were only good for a few hours. Just enough time for the admin(me) to be able to backup data in case of network meltdown.
Mainly I just want my exhaust to stay operating especially with lights off during these surges and outages. I live on top a mountain and the weather can really suck, like it is right now.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Mainly I just want my exhaust to stay operating especially with lights off during these surges and outages. I live on top a mountain and the weather can really suck, like it is right now.
Then one of the higher power UPS's should be fine as long as it's just the fan.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Are you in an area that frequently has lengthy waits for power to be restored? If you're only needing a few hours of fan power, then likely you could use one of those higher power UPS devices like @RootsRuler suggested. I've been fortunate where I'm at. The power has been pretty reliable.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Are you in an area that frequently has lengthy waits for power to be restored? If you're only needing a few hours of fan power, then likely you could use one of those higher power UPS devices like @RootsRuler suggested. I've been fortunate where I'm at. The power has been pretty reliable.
The electric company is pretty good about restoring outages. It’s time like this, especially ice storms when I want and should shut stuff down. I don’t want want to fry my hlg lights ballasts. But as we know when the lights go out the rh climbs without a way to control it. I think a dehumidifier on one of those UPS would be a bit much. Exhaust fan should be fine.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

The electric company is pretty good about restoring outages. It’s time like this, especially ice storms when I want and should shut stuff down. I don’t want want to fry my hlg lights ballasts. But as we know when the lights go out the rh climbs without a way to control it. I think a dehumidifier on one of those UPS would be a bit much. Exhaust fan should be fine.
If your issue is power quality rather than power availability then a UPS will certainly fit the bill. Most of the higher powered ones also have power conditioning. I would look at maybe having a good high powered one for your light and another not so high powered for your fans and stuff. This should protect the circuitry through clean power delivery along with giving you limited time to prepare for a shutdown if necessary.

freezeland2

freezeland2

If your issue is power quality rather than power availability then a UPS will certainly fit the bill. Most of the higher powered ones also have power conditioning. I would look at maybe having a good high powered one for your light and another not so high powered for your fans and stuff. This should protect the circuitry through clean power delivery along with giving you limited time to prepare for a shutdown if necessary.
That’s more the issue and the probable solution.

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

Ups is used on computers to keep them alive for only about 15 to 20 minutes to save data and shut down.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Around here the power goes out for days. Couldn’t make it without a generator and some good extension cords. They don’t cost that much. You can run a fair amount of stuff on 3200 watts. Rotate the refrigerators. Lol good luck

freezeland2

freezeland2

Around here the power goes out for days. Couldn’t make it without a generator and some good extension cords. They don’t cost that much. You can run a fair amount of stuff on 3200 watts. Rotate the refrigerators. Lol good luck
Power went off at 8:30 last night. Now 13hrs later and it’s still out. 3 of 4 of my plants are ready to chop and I had planned doing that this weekend. The 4th I’d like to let go for another week or two, but after this extended dark period me thinks that could trigger a reveg. So it will most likely meet its demise this weekend. Fuck the UPS it wouldn’t have lasted this long anyway. Buying a generator.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Ups is used on computers to keep them alive for only about 15 to 20 minutes to save data and shut down.
Yes I know but there are some high capacity ones out there that would run a bit of our equipment for a short period.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Starting to melt but that ice is 1/2 to 1 inches thick. Sure glad I’m at the end of this grow. Still no power, good news is wife told me to get one of those big ass auto start generators. Might be a tax credit for something like that if it has solar combined. Don’t know but I’m getting the checkbook out, lol.

437B64E9 6D19 4E57 A895 9A326778FEDF
E1D40285 AF16 4541 9618 ACC5ECDC491D
D2A9E6C3 9F47 4276 BF56 81998AA7793C
F514D8E7 A7CD 405E 852B 3AF5BFF1F909
ED43AD14 01D1 4192 A1BF 7C83C1118090
85F4C298 81D1 4570 A2A4 4458ECABD00F
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yeah, you will need a fat checkbook for one of those. Out of my league. You must have propane. I think you have to have them serviced regularly to keep the warranty intact. Do your research.

Top Bottom