Anyone use Uninterrupted Power Supply?

• Thread starter freezeland2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Solar has a tough time with 220 V well pumps. It’s weak in the winter. And I don’t like the idea of a 20 battery bank to try and store it. It’s good for supplementing existing electricity service.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

If you're trying to smooth out the outages then I think you're on the right track. You live in a fairly remote area and if you have a 500 gal propane tank my guess is you aren't on the grid. Since you're already using propane to power the house then this is a natural solution to your issue.

I installed a natural gas powered backup generator and with the installation it came to a little over $10k. That included the inverter.

freezeland2

freezeland2

If you're trying to smooth out the outages then I think you're on the right track. You live in a fairly remote area and if you have a 500 gal propane tank my guess is you aren't on the grid. Since you're already using propane to power the house then this is a natural solution to your issue.

I installed a natural gas powered backup generator and with the installation it came to a little over $10k. That included the inverter.
Yes I’m on top a mountain that is pretty off the grid. I think that is really my only solution if I want to keep the lights on. An hour or two outage every now and then is just an inconvenience I can deal with. It’s these 21 hr outages that I can’t and won’t deal with anymore.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yes I’m on top a mountain that is pretty off the grid. I think that is really my only solution if I want to keep the lights on. An hour or two outage every now and then is just an inconvenience I can deal with. It’s these 21 hr outages that I can’t and won’t deal with anymore.
The inverter should have a power conditioner built into it. Make sure they do so that the quality of electricity coming in gets improved also.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I’m gonna look at all options. I was looking at a 48kw that will power everything on a 200 amp panel. Those start at $18k. Don’t know if I’ll be staying here long enough to want to make that kind of investment although it would help with my homes resale value in the future.
That's a lot of coin to drop on a temporary situation. I'd go with something that will give you barebones power until they get it back on. You'll probably pay half what you're paying for a system like that.

freezeland2

freezeland2

That's a lot of coin to drop on a temporary situation. I'd go with something that will give you barebones power until they get it back on. You'll probably pay half what you're paying for a system like that.
That 48kw is overkill. I’m looking at Kohler 20 kw and Generac 22kw. It’s going to be something along those lines.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Generac 22kw

E

elusiveshame

You can use a car battery with an inverter and just run it off that until the surges stop happening.

UPS’s are only good for a few minutes so you can safely shut off your equipment unless you have a monster one that can handle the load.

D

Diverge

I bought a perfect sine wave UPS for my grow light and grow tent electronics. It won't allow me to run off it if power goes out, I bought it mainly for protection from surges, etc, since I want my gear to last a long time.

I'd like to get some solar with a storage system in the future... but not sure I want to live in NY when I retire, so torn on investing into the house.

Top Bottom