Anyone use Uninterrupted Power Supply?

• Thread starter freezeland2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

Yeah, you will need a fat checkbook for one of those. Out of my league. You must have propane. I think you have to have them serviced regularly to keep the warranty intact. Do your research.
Got a 500 gallon propane tank.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Regarding backup lighting, this is what I have. It's not meant to be a long-term solution but it will keep the photoperiod going when I lose power. The battery will power the lights over 36 hours. That's 3 days on a 12/12 lighting schedule. During a dark period I can hook the battery up to my truck and recharge it. It'll cost me some gas but better than being unable to keep the lights on for sensitive ladies in flower.
IMG 2022 12 16 10 42 38 205

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Regarding backup lighting, this is what I have. It's not meant to be a long-term solution but it will keep the photoperiod going when I lose power. The battery will power the lights over 36 hours. That's 3 days on a 12/12 lighting schedule. During a dark period I can hook the battery up to my truck and recharge it. It'll cost me some gas but better than being unable to keep the lights on for sensitive ladies in flower.
View attachment 1311605

Interesting!!!

I always wondered what it would take and how long a typical car battery would last. What kind of light do you have and what is it's wattage? Did you have to use an inverter to convert DC to AC and raise the voltage for the lights? Would it be feasible to rig the battery to a UPS control board so that when it senses the drop in power it can turn on automatically and there is no interruption of light in the grow room?

I wonder what a bank of these working off a few solar panels could do for these types of outages? If I had a setup like this I would rotate the batteries into and out of service just to keep them exercised.

There ya go Freezeland!! There is your answer.....

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Each light is an 18 watt, 6 LED fixture operating on 12v. These ones are made by Cree. A couple of those nice big trolling motor batteries they make nowadays would make an even better setup for me. I could easily double the lighting/wattage and still have a 3 day grace period before the batteries would need charging.

The area of my canopy during flower is roughly 5'x7' so my requirements might be a lot less than others.

I just read my similar thread from last year. I exaggerated; I shut the burn time experiment down at 30hours, not 36.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Even better than running my 5.4L truck motor would be a small gas motor to drive nothing but an alternator to charge the batteries. I could probably fab something that would work off of my weed whacker.

The feasibility of a system depends on how often you wanna recharge those batts. I could triple my lighting/wattage but my 3 days grace would get cut down to one.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

The feasibility of a system depends on how often you wanna recharge those batts. I could triple my lighting/wattage but my 3 days grace would get cut down to one.
Get 2 more batteries and wire them in series, then youll have plenty of juice.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Get 2 more batteries and wire them in series, then youll have plenty of juice.
My lights operate on 12 volts. Wiring three 12 volt batteries in series like you suggested, would send 36 volts total to my lights and fry them. The batteries need to be wired in parallel to keep the 12 volt output.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

My lights operate on 12 volts. Wiring three 12 volt batteries in series like you suggested, would send 36 volts total to my lights and fry them. The batteries need to be wired in parallel to keep the 12 volt output.
Yeah thats what i meant to say, thats what happens when the weed works... uhhh what a day.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You ain’t BS’n there but that’s what it’s going to take to power my house and all my shit.
Might power the whole country block ... what are those, about a square mile? lol. How much does a unit like that run?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The Kohler I’m looking at is $5,500 if not mistaken. Then you got installation cost, tax and maintenance etc

Not a cheap endeavor for sure.
So it could easily run $11,000 - $12,000 by the time the work is finished. And that's not including the maintenance.

Are there any viable solutions for you using renewable energy? There's going to be a lot of tax benefits and rebates for renewable energy and other high efficiency upgrades in 2023. Just tossing that out there as food for thought. I don't know enough about the new technology out there to know if any of it makes any sense in 2023. I know it exists, but at what cost?

freezeland2

freezeland2

So it could easily run $11,000 - $12,000 by the time the work is finished. And that's not including the maintenance.

Are there any viable solutions for you using renewable energy? There's going to be a lot of tax benefits and rebates for renewable energy and other high efficiency upgrades in 2023. Just tossing that out there as food for thought. I don't know enough about the new technology out there to know if any of it makes any sense in 2023. I know it exists, but at what cost?
I’m gonna look at all options. I was looking at a 48kw that will power everything on a 200 amp panel. Those start at $18k. Don’t know if I’ll be staying here long enough to want to make that kind of investment although it would help with my homes resale value in the future.

Top Bottom