• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

”THE BLACK BOX” would be fitting although not sure how catchy
Gotta get your lady on this problem. Drogon?

Download

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh and for those that dont know nee LotR series starts sept 2.

So that will only leave Sat night open on the weekends for the nerds like me.

Nap time then hit the gym

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Oh and for those that dont know nee LotR series starts sept 2.

So that will only leave Sat night open on the weekends for the nerds like me.

Nap time then hit the gym
Geeks rule.

Nerds don't go to the gym tho, so I guess you are gonna need to define your pronouns so we can fit you in our mental boxes.

@Aqua Man (Nerd, Jock, Talks to fish) or something like that. I shit you not, people are starting to define their pronouns in corporate emails now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Geeks rule.

Nerds don't go to the gym tho, so I guess you are gonna need to define your pronouns so we can fit you in our mental boxes.

@Aqua Man (Nerd, Jock, Talks to fish) or something like that. I shit you not, people are starting to define their pronouns in corporate emails now.
yeah i don’t believe in defining ppl imo thats whats wrong with the world. Labels and for some reason everyone seems to have to label themselves now…. Like wtf lol

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

In my previous experience 72-74f had the best growth rates. Solution is down to 84f now and going to hover around 80 i think. to me 68 ish like most run is to cool for best growth rates. The whole pathogen thing is very misunderstood and imo that why most run so cool. It’s absolutely changes the metabolic rates and reproduction of bacteria but also the plants.

Pythium is many many different species that prefer a wide range of temps. the cooler temps slow reproduction rates but many types of pythium do extremely well at temps of 68f. So a cooler temp may give you a bit more time to react to an infection but it also slows metabolism of the plants.

imo temps run in hydro are grossly misunderstood. In higher temps running a live system is beneficial if you run sterile you need to dose more often. Thats the thing most miss.

o2 is another as temps rise DO levels drop, as salinity rises DO levels drop, as microb metabolism increases DO goes down. Im all but certain the combination of tgose 3 is the reason ppl see issues with rea temps and why at 91 while growth was slow the plants still are looking healthy.

with the addition of this equipment im going to be playing around with parameters to kinda test some limitations and effects of the increased amount of DO in the system.

this was 2 weeks of growth in my old system in veg running close to 74f with a dialed in room and F1 seeds so vigorous growth.

once i dial the grow in we should see similar growth rates. But for now im finding ideals and limitations with this new equipment.
I have a feeling we're both right. I say that because you bring up a very good point. The grow environment plays an important part in how different aspects of the whole can be different and yield better results in conjunction with the other aspects. In hydro you've found that running higher water temperatures tend to bring the best growth rates. Maybe the media plays a part whereas in soil it can take lower temps.

The 68* number probably came from spring water temps that outdoor growers where getting when they measured the soil temp. Pair that with the fact that warmer temperatures mean less O2 in the water but you're supplementing the oxygenation of your water mechanically so you can run higher temps and still get a high dissolved O2 count.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have a feeling we're both right. I say that because you bring up a very good point. The grow environment plays an important part in how different aspects of the whole can be different and yield better results in conjunction with the other aspects. In hydro you've found that running higher water temperatures tend to bring the best growth rates. Maybe the media plays a part whereas in soil it can take lower temps.

The 68* number probably came from spring water temps that outdoor growers where getting when they measured the soil temp. Pair that with the fact that warmer temperatures mean less O2 in the water but you're supplementing the oxygenation of your water mechanically so you can run higher temps and still get a high dissolved O2 count.
Thats what i think im seeing but to early to state that as fact. These are some of the things we need to test as we all know we see different results in every grow so finding out the mechanisms that control those and how they effect the relationships of other variables is key.

Your absolutely right and understanding WHY we see the difference in results allows us to adjust to whats best for us under our own circumstances with some degree of certainty.

Lots of unknowns with what @Moe.Red and i are doing and when you change one parameters you also impact the ideals of the other parameters. Thats in large part what we are working on and thanks to @Moe.Red we will be able to track actual data that allows us to see a bigger picture.

we are very early on in this but i think you all are going to be surprised at the level of data collection and feedback from it for growers running these systems.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Down to 81 res temp and see a difference in growth rates overnight. Im still cautious at this temp as its still at a level that pretty unheard of.

i feel like im tempting fate and should take my own advice and decide if i go sterile or live for the sheer fact it almost always will be an issue if i don’t.

But on the other hand i want to tempt fate to see if the level of o2 provided has a possible impact on this.

pic of them this morning. You cant see the light in this but my par reading are almost identical over the entire range of the grow area. Very impressed with this SE 7000 that @SpiderFarmerLED provided so far

A5A02649 329F 4FD9 918C 79E7995CD5C7
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Seems an airpump in the lung room drastically reduces res temps. A chiller and a heater would be ideal if wanting to set specific temps. Sucks chillers are so bulky and expensive. Id try an airpump with stone before id buy a chiller though. I also would buy a chiller unless I had a heater and temp controller with water probe lol. .sounds right up moes alley

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Seems an airpump in the lung room drastically reduces res temps. A chiller and a heater would be ideal if wanting to set specific temps. Sucks chillers are so bulky and expensive. Id try an airpump with stone before id buy a chiller though. I also would buy a chiller unless I had a heater and temp controller with water probe lol. .sounds right up moes alley
Yeah in the future I’ll probably invest to do some more accurate testing but if i can grow well in 80-85 temps i think that will speak volumes to the impact of increased DO has on this equation

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Yeah in the future I’ll probably invest to do some more accurate testing but if i can grow well in 80-85 temps i think that will speak volumes to the impact of increased DO has on this equation
So Idk if what im thinking is accurate but im wondering if lowering res temps slowly during flowering would cause stunted growth up top? Like in my head the plant is slowing its growth with the temps thus causing the buds to seal over sooner than later. Like im sure if someone started at 66 and increased to the temps your running, they would see nothing but growth increasing up top. But when the opposite happens, couldn't it stunt them up there? I really dont know and have just been thinking about it for months now. I'd like to get a water temp controller. My air pump drops my res temps to whatecer my lung room temp is. . hince why I keep it set at 72f lol. . my res temps stay pretty consistent to my eye. . but only a probe could actually tell me. Know of any that are attached to a controller? I can just not insulate it and have the lights heat it and the controller cool it with airpump? Anyways. . just pondering

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Down to 81 res temp and see a difference in growth rates overnight. Im still cautious at this temp as its still at a level that pretty unheard of.

i feel like im tempting fate and should take my own advice and decide if i go sterile or live for the sheer fact it almost always will be an issue if i don’t.

But on the other hand i want to tempt fate to see if the level of o2 provided has a possible impact on this.

pic of them this morning. You cant see the light in this but my par reading are almost identical over the entire range of the grow area. Very impressed with this SE 7000 that @SpiderFarmerLED provided so far
I agree a chiller would be the easiest way of controlling water temp. Could you make a manual chiller with an ice chest, coiled copper water line and some dry ice? You'd have to replace the ice every few days but maybe you could re-route the CO2 into the tent and get more bang for your buck? Not sure if the CO2 capture would be worth it but something to consider if you're trying to lower temp on the cheap.

I designed and fabricated an industrial chiller for a warehouse grow on the cheap using a beer chiller concept. Found a floor model top loading chest freezer on mark down and emptied the inside of all the baskets and stuff. Ran a coil of 1/2" copper fridge water line from one end to the other by poking a hole near the top edge on each side and filled 3/4 of the way up with water so that the coils were bathed in the water. Temperature control came from freezer temp control located on outside of freezer. Set it so it cooled the water in it to a temp that yielded approximately 66* feed solution at output. By the time the feed solution reached the pots water temp rose to around 69* - 73* depending on how far the pot was from the distribution head.

Inside casing of freezer was all plastic and watertight. It even had a drain so I could drain out water if it got weird but since it was always cold, we never had to change it out. A commercial chiller of the same size would have cost $5,000+. My guerilla chiller cost $600 and could supply the entire warehouse with temperature-controlled water. Cost around $30 a year to run it being that it was an Energy Star rated appliance.

Thought an out of the box idea might be able to spark something more conducive to the size of your grow.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So Idk if what im thinking is accurate but im wondering if lowering res temps slowly during flowering would cause stunted growth up top? Like in my head the plant is slowing its growth with the temps thus causing the buds to seal over sooner than later. Like im sure if someone started at 66 and increased to the temps your running, they would see nothing but growth increasing up top. But when the opposite happens, couldn't it stunt them up there? I really dont know and have just been thinking about it for months now. I'd like to get a water temp controller. My air pump drops my res temps to whatecer my lung room temp is. . hince why I keep it set at 72f lol. . my res temps stay pretty consistent to my eye. . but only a probe could actually tell me. Know of any that are attached to a controller? I can just not insulate it and have the lights heat it and the controller cool it with airpump? Anyways. . just pondering
i dont but i know someone who will likely be able to add it to the controller syste cough cough @Moe.Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom