Aqua’s Hydro systems meet SPIDERFARMER SE 7000

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Nope you cant.. roots in soil and hydro are different structures based on what they are growing in. They may adjust but definitely will shock the shit out if them and possibly death
I wonder if you could take a net pot like Aquas got and stick it in soil to let the roots get really healthy and big then remove the soil ball, wash all the dirt off the roots and stick it in a DWC bucket.

yea that does not work well

The roots morphology(?) slightly change/adapt to what medium it is in, and how it uptakes water.
Cool. Thanks. Do you have any literature links explaining the morphology and the differences? I've always wondered about that.

I could (and have) thrown together a cheaper system, but this is what I want. Hopefully others agree.

It is based on Raspberry Pi 4 / Linux.

10" touch screen. Second HDMI output for a big screen if you have the space and an extra HDMI monitor or TV laying around.

Everything is al la carte so you just get what you need to start, expand at any time. Everything is interconnected with ethernet (not on your network, just local.) Any length cable you care to run between devices. Future software upgrades include multiple grow space monitoring and control. Up to 127 total devices will be the max.

Uses I2C for remote communication. Sensors, relays, etc are just plugged into the bus and the software sees it and adds the functionality. I'll show you in video later this week.

EDIT: I'll add some more tech specs here now that my belly is full and the Cards are swinging the bat. We're up 1 nothin and are crushing it in National Central. Any baseball growers out there?

So, what you got there is the main "box" - I dunno Prototype 1X47Ftq sounds good. The part with the screen. That device houses the Pi, the Capacitive Touch Screen, Touch Screen Driver, HDMI Driver, Power Suppl... ah who cares, you quit reading.

Prototype 1X47Ftq runs Linux. On a circuit board that is a complete PC in a single board. Friggin excellent.

Prototype 1X47Ftq has a main circuit board that has GPIO pins - not something a normal PC has. They let you interface directly with hardware like relays, PH sensors, Male plant detectors (j/k. Not that, but other cool stuff.)

There is a bus hub prototype displayed. It is nothing more than a place to plug in 6 things, really 5 things and a line back to mama. Mama being Prototype 1X47Ftq.

Haha, if you are still reading this you are stoned.

Those 5 things might be Temp, RH, CO2, O2, Humidity... did you notice I said RH 2 ways there? No? Stoner. You know who you are. 😜

Future upgrades I'm looking at are things like a plug in spectrometer - I might just rent that out, maybe a PPFD meter? I have a camera hooked up now, that's interesting.

Another upgrade that I have working here for mine is a programmable iR blaster that you train it how to flash to control a device (I'm using it to control my mini split AC and my dehumidifier). Just more things that plug into the bus, wherever it's closest to pick it up. Just daisy chain off any device and plug it in.

I'm working on lighting control, but that's a lower priority because my lights have an app that is acceptable to drive them directly.

Another obvious plug in to the bus is AC control. I have 2 AC remotes I'm using (very Alpha stage, wires hanging kinda staus) that's what's next to complete. Then we will have control over any ac device that is based off a timer, a calculation, an internet lookup (moon cycles - fuck - I don't know you figure it out) or simply when sensor A does this you turn that thing on. It's just an inkbird via software at it's simplest.

The other box is the wet probe connection. Again, just another thing on the bus. This one is user configurable to add sensors at any time. Don't want Dissolved Oxygen today? Get it later. If you can twist a Phillips head, you can add any sensor you like. Well, within reason, not like spider mite fart detectors. Cumon man.

OK this is way too long already, but I gotta tell you about the OS / software.

Still up 1-0.
Love it. Module driven with expansion capacity. How much computing power do you estimate you need for this to run full tilt? Will the Brain Box software be available to install in a PC or integrate with other systems? Linux is usually used at the higher server levels. Why Linux rather than windows which would be more user friendly on the GUI side? I've been away from computing for a while since I don't have to systems engineer a rack full of servers anymore so I'm not up to date on LINUX's GUI capabilities. Will the system be proprietary to itself or will you have the ability to hook up with other compatible apps? What will be the distro of choice for your operating system software? Ubuntu?

You mentioned "zombieing" other devices like A/C's to the system. How will this affect manufacturer warranties along with internal software or hardware proprietary to the manufacturer? I'm guessing that if you're only turning it on and off you can stay outside of manufacturers ire but the moment you take control of their hardware outside of their software I wonder how they're going to react to that.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Love it. Module driven with expansion capacity. How much computing power do you estimate you need for this to run full tilt? Will the Brain Box software be available to install in a PC or integrate with other systems? Linux is usually used at the higher server levels. Why Linux rather than windows which would be more user friendly on the GUI side? I've been away from computing for a while since I don't have to systems engineer a rack full of servers anymore so I'm not up to date on LINUX's GUI capabilities. Will the system be proprietary to itself or will you have the ability to hook up with other compatible apps? What will be the distro of choice for your operating system software? Ubuntu?

You mentioned "zombieing" other devices like A/C's to the system. How will this affect manufacturer warranties along with internal software or hardware proprietary to the manufacturer? I'm guessing that if you're only turning it on and off you can stay outside of manufacturers ire but the moment you take control of their hardware outside of their software I wonder how they're going to react to that.
If you want to look at this it will answer some questions

The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore computing, and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It’s capable of doing everything you’d expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, and playing games.

What’s more, the Raspberry Pi has the ability to interact with the outside world, and has...

The Raspberry Pi is a very cheap computer that runs Linux, but it also provides a set of GPIO (general purpose input/output) pins, allowing you to control electronic components for physical computing and explore the Internet of Things (IoT).

Raspberry Pi GPIO pins

So in a nutshell, a PC on a single board that has the ability to connect to and control things in the real world via those pins.

You know how some lights daisy chain together? This system does that thru something called I2C using those pins. It allows us to connect over 100 devices on the bus like sensors and probes and fans and lights and and and...

In terms of controlling an AC or similar - basically in that pic above you replace the red LED with an iR led and mimic the pulses from the iR remote that came with the AC. There is zero impact on any warrantee, you don't even touch the device.

This has all been back burnered for a bit while Aqua moves and I am getting some medical things done. As a matter of fact I'm waiting to head to the hospital now for a 7:30 test. I'll be fine, just got the starch taken out of me for a bit there. More updates on this project after Christmas.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Similar in that they make it easy to interface with the real world. Control electronic tidbits directly. They are different in that arduino is strictly a microcontroller that runs the same code on a loop over and over where a pi is a full pc that can do significantly more and has gobs more power.
Full PC as in L2 cache? Onboard GPU? Sound? I guess I should just click your Pi link...... 🙄 😋

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Full PC as in L2 cache? Onboard GPU? Sound? I guess I should just click your Pi link...... 🙄 😋
yeah man. 2 HDMI outs. 4 USB. 2, 4, or 8GB Ram. support for OS on ssd or the typical flash media. But the GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) pins are why you would use this. It becomes the master in a daisy chain of components. Or it can read analog or digital values, or output same. Pulse Width Modulation. So it can control hundreds of things in the real world. And there is a ton of free software out there already written for it and installed with a few keystrokes. Tons of support and users.

The weakness is you have to offload some processor intense activities to a server but that's easy too. Folks like Adafruit have free server space and processing set up for us.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

yeah man. 2 HDMI outs. 4 USB. 2, 4, or 8GB Ram. support for OS on ssd or the typical flash media. But the GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) pins are why you would use this. It becomes the master in a daisy chain of components. Or it can read analog or digital values, or output same. Pulse Width Modulation. So it can control hundreds of things in the real world. And there is a ton of free software out there already written for it and installed with a few keystrokes. Tons of support and users.

The weakness is you have to offload some processor intense activities to a server but that's easy too. Folks like Adafruit have free server space and processing set up for us.
Cool! Sort of like a PC but without all the unnecessary stuff. I like that it has PWM so that you can run things like LED's and stuff. Very cool!

ninjadip

ninjadip

Interesting... Never seen it. Sorry for your loss but thanks for sharing.
@Aqua Man is this crown rot as well? This came up a few weeks ago and hasn't progressed. Same time I had other issues, that I believe I resolved as best as possible. Looks like a damn dirty butt crack lol

PXL 20221125 231801481PORTRAIT
PXL 20221125 231752506

Here is another plant that has calloused nodes, I wonder if that's from stress as well.
PXL 20221125 231729517

So glad this run is almost done, predict the chop this or next week. Third time should be the charm..

Madmax

Madmax

Nar...stems just split.I’ve had that lots outdoors.I usually use one of those plastic g clamp you squeeze the handle to close it a little and it stops it from splitting more.I just tape it to stop insects etc.it will b fine.I use to think the worst like plants going to stress now and throw nanners but nup 😀

ninjadip

ninjadip

Nar...stems just split.I’ve had that lots outdoors.I usually use one of those plastic g clamp you squeeze the handle to close it a little and it stops it from splitting more.I just tape it to stop insects etc.it will b fine.I use to think the worst like plants going to stress now and throw nanners but nup 😀
yeah, i was overly-worried when i first saw it, cause it was soon after seeing the crown rot here. So it's just splitting from weight, that's not so bad then.

i should have taped it up or something, that would have been smart, or a clamp. Didn't even occur to me to clamp it. Thankfully i have zero bugs, maybe from the preventive neem applications in veg, but you are 100% right, they would have loved to go in my plant's butthole/ brown crack. lol

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I had one split and I used a wire tie to cinch it back up, didn't slow the plant down at all that I could tell.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I was getting a little too aggressive with my LST and almost peeled a branch off the main stem this grow. Took some electrical tape and taped it with zero ill effects!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom